Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 7, 2012
This book is awful. But who am I to say so? Well, I'm a massive Beatles fan, and I work in publishing, specifically working with compendiums of comic books.

The comics that are featured in this book are

1) Badly processed - they haven't been touched up or restored at all. Some are unreadably dark. Some are such low resolution that it's offensive.
2) Incomplete. Who wants to read HALF of a comic?
3) Collected poorly. There are many Beatles comics out there that didn't end up in here.
4) ILLEGALLY COLLECTED. I work for a company that OWNS some of the strips in this book. Permission was not granted, nor rights paid for.
5)Often foreign language with no translation for English speakers.

On top of all this, the supposedly hardcover book is literally bound like a giant old school Sears catelog, with CARDBOARD pasted onto the front and back of it. What kind of legitimate publisher would charge $39.95 for a CARDBOARD book?

You know what these guys did? They torrented and pirated a bunch of comics they don't own, and are trying to make a fast buck. I will never buy a book from this company, or these authors, again - and I hope that they end up getting into legal trouble for theft of the comics they're publishing illegally - although I feel much more strongly that I'm the one they stole from, since I paid for this pathetic imitation of a real book.
on September 2, 2012
The concept of compiling a vast array of comic strips from the last 50 years that depict The Beatles seems like a great idea for a book. Unfortunately, this 240-page book with color reproductions of comic book covers and comic strips leaves a lot to be desired.

For starters, half of the comic strips are in foreign languages, which makes about half the book inaccessible for English readers. Also about half of the comics include only a small mention of The Beatles leaving them unmemorable in this reviewer's opinion.

As a result, only about 25% of the comics included have substantial Beatles content in English, and in many cases, the entire comic strip is not visible. This is due to the fact that a small graphic of the cover of each comic book is placed right on top of the actual comic strip. Many times, as you're reading the comic strip, the full story of the strip is unreadable since one of the captions is covered by a picture of the cover.

Editorially, a decision was made to split the book into sections according to decade. The way the authors mark a new section in the book is to include a photograph which goes along with each decade. However, these photographs are usually not of The Beatles, and don't really make sense to be included in the book. For example, in the 1960s section, a picture of Jane Fonda as Barbarella from 1967 is inserted. A picture of The Beatles from 1967 would make more sense to insert at this location.

Also, it took a while to figure out that the authors are only showing one sample page from each comic book. That means even if the comic strip story went on for multiple pages, you only get to read one page. As a result, the reader is left feeling incomplete by not being able to finish reading the entire comic story.

While it would be a great contribution to the Beatles publishing archive to have a compilation of Beatles comic strips, this book just doesn't do the trick.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book to review for the Beatles website, Daytrippin dot com
on February 11, 2013
I was expecting nice clear pictures on glassy paper, instead the comics that are reproduced here are blurry and on cheap looking paper. I sold mine after having it for less than a week. Much of the text and comics are in Italian and French and are incomplete. I would stay away and use your money to search Ebay for Beatles comics that are complete and in the language of your choosing.
on January 3, 2013
Being a huge Beatles fan since late '63 (we had their VeeJay label records in our house before Capitol caught on) little snips of history like this are fun for me. My only criticism would be that there are only brief glimpses of material rather than one or two complete comic books or strips for the reader to enjoy (i.e. Batman #222). Beyond that it is alot of fun to see what an influance the Fabs had on another culture.
on March 4, 2013
This is an interesting concept, but the main problem is that about 1/2 the comics shown are in foreign languages. Unless you are multi-lingual, you will be at a loss to know what these are about.

Also, the authors only show 1 page from any given comic. I would much rather have seen some entire stories reprinted from original English and American comics and cut the foreign ones entirely.
on January 3, 2013
My sister loves the Beatles, and she really enjoyed this (I gave it to her for Christmas). The perfect coffee table book!
on February 23, 2013
What else does one get the Beatles fan who has nearly any and everything worse collecting. One has to get creative.
on October 14, 2014
This book brought back memories as I remembered several of the comics that are represented in the book. I enjoyed the colorful illustrations and found that the Beatles are great in any language. There were several comics from foreign countries, so I didn't understand the language. I did enjoy the illustrations in these instances. The one thing I really didn't care for in the book, however, was there were obstructions (explanation boxes) over some of the print/illustrations on some of the pages. I enjoyed the explanations but would have liked to have been able to see the actual image as a whole. I would recommend this book for anyone who was and/or is into comics/graphic novels and/or the Beatles. This book shows they are both still going strong in the present day.
on December 29, 2014