Beatles Mono LP Box to Be Released In 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 294 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 3:38:35 AM PDT
JT says:
According to Audiophile publication The Absolute Sound ," In 2013, the,[Beatles], remastered albums will make their mono vinyl debuts.

It is a well known fact that the Beatles Intended most of their earlier LP albums to be recorded in mono not stereo such as Revolver and Sgt. Peppers, and those mixes sound very different than their stereo counterparts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:10:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 9:10:18 PM PDT
For a little bit, I was conflicted over waiting for the Mono Box or getting the Stereo. You're right to the extent that they mixed everything in mono themselves. However, I do think that some of the songs sound better in Stereo. Maybe it's because I grew up on hearing them that way (I'm an 80's kid, so I never had mono). I've listened to both CD sets, and I have an original mono Sgt. Pepper on vinyl. For those who are not sure, I would recommend finding a friend or relative who has the Mono CDs and listening to them in headphones, especially songs like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, the Sgt. Pepper Reprise, Helter Skelter, Long Long Long, and Elenor Rigby. Those are the songs that, for me anyway, really highlight the difference between the two. After that, you can decide which set you're going to get.

For me, Mono is really interesting as an alternative, but it's not how I generally want to listen to the albums. I kind of hope that they sell the mono's separately, because I WOULD buy a mono White Album, but that's the only one that I feel I'll really be missing out on if I couldn't get it. I also worry because the book for this set...will it be different in the presumptive Mono Box? After all, Let it Be and Abbey Road, as well as several singles, were never issued in mono (and therefore weren't in the mono CD set). Also, several songs on Past Masters will probably be in Mono anyway (like on the CDs) because the only versions of the songs that exist were taken from mono singles that a collector had stored away (the original master tapes for the first single or two were taped over by EMI...can you imagine?) So, presumably, you'll at least want to buy the stereo versions of those albums when they come out, if only because there's no use in denying two awesome albums when they won't even be in that set.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:14:24 PM PST
R. S. TAYLOR says:
Pretty impressive for an 80's kid! Not trying to be a know it all but all of the master tapes still exist except for the single version of "Love Me Do" with Ringo on drums. The mono master tapes still exist for everything else. It's the 2-track tapes that were recorded over for songs like "She Loves You", "I'll Get You" and "P.S. I Love You". After comparing all of the mono & stereo cd's, I've finally decided that I prefer the mono versions of "Please Please Me", "With The Beatles", "Rubber Soul" and most of "Revolver". Also certain songs on some of the other albums as well but I won't go into all the details of which. I guess just like everything else, it all boils down to each individuals opinion.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:06:28 AM PST
C. Paige says:
I've always been of the opinion that one should go with the versions that the band mixed itself. Therefore, I'm constructing my own set of albums out of these remasters. I've bought abbey road, let it be, yellow submarine, the white album, and magical mystery tour in stereo, and I'll be waiting to buy the rest on mono.

By the way, I have original pressings of all of the albums except for help, and in my opinion, albums like a hard days night and please please me absolutely sound better in mono. Sgt peppers is a completely different experience in mono as well.

Maybe I'm just weird, though. I'm 26 years old and care about this stuff. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:25:18 AM PST
Eugene says:
Not all mono were mixed by group. They had nothing to do with mixing either mono or stereo of Please Please Me for example - both versions done by George Martin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:57:03 AM PST
JT says:
The mono box set will also include original some stereo mixes just the CD set did according the abbey Rd sound engineer.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:14:30 PM PST
Graham says:
For ALL Beatles Fans....To QUOTE John Lennon....He said " You ain't heard Pepper until you heard it in Mono" It was MEANT to be heard in MONO and it is the Definitive Version ...AND I will Take That to the Bank....I have them ALL and Sgt. Pepper SHOULD Definitely be Heard in MONO!! it's Better!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 9:42:26 AM PST
Leith says:
For me, I think the stereo mix is much better than the mono. The transitions between the songs are smoother and more fluid, for instance compare the transition between Good Morning, Good Morning to Sgt. Pepper (Reprise) in mono and stereo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 1:10:07 PM PST
DKPete says:
The two original stereo mixes would be of Help! and Rubber Soul...also, it would be nice if The White Album had a top-load cover as did most (all?) the original European releases of the album-it was released this way in the mono CD box.

More importantly than any of this, I hope the vinyl quality is better than what was put out with the current stereo vinyl box.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:07:39 AM PST
PETER XUEREB says:
I want to buy this set but have been put off a little by the quality issues of both UK and USA sets. Locally in Australia they cost $400-500AUD+ and with the dolar being what it is i could save money by buying the US set from Amazon even with the postage. I have had o return the odd item to Amazon and I like they way they do things. Money is also a factor right now but thought about it as a Christmas gift to me.... :)

Ironic thing is a few months before they announced this set, I bought an empty "rolltop LP box" and filled it with various 1970's-90's UK vinyl pressings because I wanted a UK set. I wouldn't have bothered had I known the new vinyl remasters were coming so soon. I'm not sure about the "limited to 50,000 copies"...I think it will be as "limited" as the Mono CD Box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:25:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 23, 2013 2:21:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:19:48 AM PST
DKPete says:
Hey Adam...mix differences...a subject so near and dear to my heart. Whether any of them are actually better than the stereo versions is a matter of personal opinion...but one thing that stands clear is that they are different-especially in the cases of Pepper and The White Album.

Some random things on Pepper: Lucy In The Sky has a completely different textural landscape where much of it is swamped in what used to be called "phase shifting" causing the vocal to sound significantly "swirly"..this mix appears on the ORIGINAL soundtrack of the Yellow Submarine movie before it became remixed.

She's Leaving Home is in a faster key throughout-it's the same take of the recording but the tape is sped up (the song actually "moves" better).

The lead guitar "sting" at the very end of the title track is much louder and the horns have an, overall, flatter sound with hardly any reverb.

The laughter at the end of WYWY is MUCH louder and actually sounds like a bunch of guys laughing as opposed to the muddled sound that comes across on the stereo.

Some of John's vocal antics at the tail end of Lovely Rita are barely audible on the mono mix.

The segueway from GMGM to the Reprise is the single most obvious difference...the chicken clucking turning into a guitar note is extremely ragged and unsmooth...plus there's a longer delay prior to the count-in and you hear someone (sounds like George) saying something that's not on the stereo version (this is besides the "bye" which can be clearly heard from John).

The White Album has more of the same ranging from differences in the animal sounds in Piggies to the airplane sounds in USSR to completely different endings for Don't Pass Me By and Helter Skelter.

The differences in the earlier albums are much more subtle than on these two albums but they are, truly, there making the mono mixes unique from the stereo counterparts..the more one is familiar with the stereo recordings, the more differences you will pick up (although some are much more obvious than others such as the lead guitar parts in I'm Only Sleeping).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:12:59 PM PST
Rufus T. says:
I agree with Stereo over mono. One can always merge the two channels via playback system (if available on the control panel) or do it digitally via audio mixing apps on a PC. Yes, I know the "mixing" might be different, and sometimes the song takes are different as well. Lennon might've preferred mono since he grew up to rock music in the 1950's (all mono). Those of us who listen to music with stereo headphones by choice prefer the more expansive sound and sonic landscape of stereo, even the early primitive stereo of 1963-66. Easier to pick out individual instruments, lyrics, vocals etc. when it's spread out. I even sought out the rare stereo version of From Me to You that was out of print for a long time in the 1980's. Hey Jude and most of Revolver sounds better with two channels. Just my opinion - yours may differ & that's OK. To each his/her own.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:32:40 AM PST
Matthew Dake says:
To say that mono purists can be sated by merely merging two channels on a receiver is to miss the point entirely.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:34:06 AM PST
Rufus T. says:
I was being (mostly) facetious. But in my opinion, stereo is superior to monophonic in the same way that "hi-fidelity" as developed in the 1950's is superior to 78rpm Victrola reproduction. When one listens to live music, it comes at you from more than 1 point of origin and is heard with 2 ears. Stereo is an attempt to recreate that environment. Mono is for tinny transistor radios and stackable record players in bedrooms of 1962. It has its nostalgic value, but so does watching silent Charlie Chaplin movies on 8mm home projectors.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:13:34 AM PST
Matthew Dake says:
I agree that stereo is superior to monophonic from a technical standpoint; I don't think anyone here is denying that. The point of this box set is to a) reproduce the original mixes of these albums as the Beatles themselves intended them, and as a lot of fans (including myself) prefer to the stereo mixes, b) finally let loose a series of albums that have never been available on wax at all in the US, and c) quell the insane demand for the original mono mixes of these albums, especially Sgt. Pepper's and the white album, and not only have these commercially available other than on the record collector circuit for insanely high prices, but also to provide a high-quality, commercially viable source for these recordings that isn't sourced from illegal downloads and vinyl rips. Complaining about this box set is roughly the equivalent of complaining about Cocoa Pebbles because you like Fruity Pebbles better. Both exist, and you have the luxury of choosing to buy one, both, or none.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:23:43 AM PST
Matthew Dake says:
I would also like to point out that, in regards to the CD issues, the mono box set is technically a more accurate reproduction of the analog soundwaves in that it has far less limiting than the stereo box. Greater fidelity being extracted from what you say is a lesser fidelity source by professional mastering engineers? I think not.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:33:04 AM PST
Rufus T. says:
I have no problem with making the "original" mono recordings commercially available. The purists and uber-collectors who insist on having every interation and alternate version of Beatles records in existence should be satisfied in their quest. They'll be happy and EMI will make money, a win-win situation. I used to own mono LPs of most pre-1968 Capitol Beatles albums. My first copy of Sgt Pepper was the mono version; ditto for MMT and Rubber Soul. They were fine until I exchanged them later for the stereo versions which I enjoyed better (typically on headphones to not disturb my parents). I can understand some folks preferring the aesthetics and "authentic" sound of the mono mixes. I myself would rather see A Hard Day's Night in B&W than a colorized version (thank god it doesn't exist). But for me, the mono records are historical artifacts, a curiosity for comparison's sake. This is where I differ from G. Martin and Lennon in preference. Nothing wrong with owning both editions, but for my desert island selection, stereo wins out.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:28:42 PM PST
Brad Rapp says:
I don't care one bit. After the horribly defective LP's most of us got in the Stereo Box set, there is NO WAY I will trust EMI to put out an album worth buying. NEVER AGAIN will I buy anything put out by EMI/Capitol. They have NO SHAME and NO PRIDE in their work. How they could do this to the Beatles catalog is beyond comprehension. How they could do this to us consumers after waiting so long is criminal. By the way, if you can find an LP that plays, you will find it highly detailed and hear things you never heard before. On the down side, there is a lack of immediacy and realism found in analog masters. Collectors will not be satisfied other than as a novelty. Those new to vinyl will be very impressed, but only if they own VERY high end stereo equipment. Overall, disappointment. I expect the Mono versions to be no better. After my experience with the Stereo Box set, I am done forever. BE WARNED! If you want to enjoy the Beatles, buy used. Japanese Red Wax, Mobile Fidelity if you want the best. 60's and 70's German pressings are also high quality. There are 80's British pressings that sound fantastic, although the Mono version of Sgt. Pepper's I paid too much for is NOT very good sounding. Good luck friends!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:35:57 PM PST
DKPete says:
Hey Brad...I have numerous Beatle albums in the various incarnations you just mentioned...those Japanese red vinyls sound especially great.

As far as EMI...I dreaded this and half expected it due to past experience. A few years back, Capitol put out some of their classic albums on 180g vinyl. Among those, I bought Imagine and Band On The Run...while neither were as bad as these new Beatle sets, they were QUITE bad...lots of pops, some sound distortion and even a couple of SKIPS on each!! I returned them both.

About a year later, I bought the 180g re-issue of All Things Must Pass...this one was, indeed, every bit as poorly made as these new LP's...crackling, scratching noises inbetween songs to vomit for. I returned that one as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:24:45 PM PST
R. S. TAYLOR says:
I know, to each his own. That being said - When The Beatles cd's came out in '87 I was furious that the first 4 were mono. So Imagine my delight when the stereo box came out in "09. I bought it and the mono box the same day. I especially wanted Sgt. Pepper in mono on cd (I already had all of the red Japanese mono albums). BUT after many comparisons I actually prefer the mono mixes over stereo on just about all of the albums. Reason being is the early stereo mixes are horrible. Mono was the norm for just about all pop/rock music in the 60's. Stereo was mainly for classical and was just a novelty for top 40. This being the case, hardly any thought or time was put in to stereo mixes. The Beatles had almost zero input in their stereo mixes. The mono versions are what they intended for us to hear. When I want to hear Nowhere Man (for example) in stereo, I reach for the Yellow Sub Songtrack cd. It sounds like a proper stereo mix should. Just try listening to the stereo Rubber Soul through headphones and I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say. I'd really like to have brand new stereo mixes of their entire catalog. Maybe sometime in the near future...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:48:28 PM PST
Eugene says:
Beatles had nothing to do with mixing of either stereo or mono versions of their first albums; guaranteed about Please Please Me; need to confirm about WTB . It was all George Martin's job at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:44:21 PM PST
R. S. TAYLOR says:
Maybe on the first 3 or 4, but they started taking a big interest in the mixing of almost every song starting with Revolver. But again only for the mono mix, no interest at all in the stereo mixes until the White Album.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:52:05 PM PST
I have two questions about the Mono release: 1. Is the 2013 Mono LP box going to include the 1965 Stereo Mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul, just as the 2009 Mono CD did? and 2. Are these records going to be available separately as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:31:09 PM PST
I've heard that the 65 stereo versions of Help and Rubber Soul will be included in the set, and they most likely won't release the mono vinyl albums like the mono CD set. The model seems to be the same for the vinyl as the CDS. The stereo CDs were released individually, while the mono CDs weren't. I assume this will be the same for the vinyl box sets.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  294
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set
The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set by The Beatles (Vinyl - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,042)