2,726 Reviews
 (1,576)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at th top of this price range
Published on January 20, 2013 by tonrey11

1,554 of 1,715 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, what's your priority?
Published on January 5, 2012 by John T. Shea

1,554 of 1,715 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, what's your priority?, January 5, 2012
Just for the record, I'm not your typical jaded 'beats hater', largely (well probably solely) because I didn't plunk down my own hard-earned cash on these expecting to be blown away. I simply had a bunch of Macy's store credit and gift cards with no better place to go than on some new cans. I figured they would be disappointing but passable and that's exactly what they are. Do they sound like junk? Not to me. I'm not an audiophiles, but I know sound reproduction, and to my ear, these sound like about your average $60 pair of lower-end Sonys or mid-level Skullcandys..not bad, but certainly not good either. The bass response is, sonically speaking, the best part of these phones. It's detailed and full without being overpowering, however it is a bit 'boomy' meaning you get the distorted pop on vocals beginning with the letters p and b, especially at higher volumes...and being that these puppies aren't very sensitive, you will find yourself listening to your music up pretty high. Aside from the bass, the rest of the sonic spectrum is very unspectacular on the Solos. I wouldn't exactly call it muddy, it's more just that the mids aren't detailed or crisp enough and there is not nearly enough musical separation.

Look, let's just call it what it is, the Beats Concept is not based on great sound, it's based on making a fashion statement. The packaging is slick, they look fantastic, and they let everyone know you have $200-$400 to throw down on a pair of headphones. Sound-wise, they simply sound nowhere remotely close to what you would and should expect from a $200 set of phones. To be fair, I would probably give them 3 stars were they not so comically overpriced, as the build quality seems acceptable, the bass response downright enjoyable, and to be frank-the look is just downright smokin'. However I have to knock off a star for the simple fact that you could buy TWO pairs of Grados or Sennheisers for the price of the Solos that sound far better and might even leave you with a couple bucks left over to buy yourself a Caramel Machiato or two at Starbucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at th top of this price range, January 20, 2013
My son wanted these last year for Christmas. As a former DJ, and having working knowledge about sound and equipment, I was totally against forking over $200 for a pair of headphones just because it has Dr. Dre's name on it, knowing that I could get headphones with comparable or better sound for much less money. After saying, "the hell with it, it's what the kid wants", I caved in and bought them, still saying to myself, "it's not worth it". After being able to pry them off his head about a week later, I tried them and was pleasantly surprised. They were very light and comfortable. The bass was awesome but not overpowering and the highs were clean and crisp. Definitely one the best over the ear sets I've tried. I frequently make digital recordings of old mixes and vinyl and I use these to tweak and EQ the final files. There are plenty of quality headphones in this range from Pioneer, Bose, Sony, Senheiser, and Skull Candy, just to name a few. And many will come in at $20-30 less. But these really look and sound good and what's a few more bucks in Dre's pocket to make your kid happy?
One important thing. These scratch and can crack easily if dropped. My son dropped his and a small piece broke off. I contacted the manufacturer (Monster), and was able to return them for a new pair.
Would I buy them again or recommend them? I already have. I got them for my daughter this Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bass but over priced for quality, August 10, 2010
The Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD headphones in my opinion are ok. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate music and have a great ear for hearing slight differences. I recently purchased these after having my Bose on ear headphones for a few years (was very pleased with them) and decided to try the solo hd's because they are both on-ear models and was looking for a new pair. Having compared the two for a while now I will be returning the Solo HD's for a few reasons. This review is to compare the Bose on ear vs. the solo hd's

Style: give it to the monster beats, sleek design with gloss finish. You will definately be noticed with these headphones and not in a bad way.

Portability: monster wins with this again. Both come with carrying cases. While I do like the bose because the case seems more duable the collapse-able design of the beats is a bit smaller and has a small sleave to fit the cord into. Speaking of cords the monster cord that comes with the beats is much better than the bose. Just buy holding/looking at the cord it is way more durable, tangle free, and gold plated. Monster also makes a perfect length cable as well. The bose cord I found for me, got tangled easily, very thing, and doesn't seem half as durable.

Sound: This goes to the BOSE headphones. While the beats has a very good bass and it's not distorted it's lost when it comes to hearing highs and the treble seemed a little off. I listened everything from R&B to hip-hop and the beats was amazing. Then I listened to some classical, pop, and rock. The beats lost me when it came to those genre's and it was almost like a "muddy" sound, not as crisp. I listen to the same songs using the BOSE and it was a very clear difference as the mids/highs were much better in the BOSE. The BOSE bass can be a bit distorted though when it came to hip-hop/r&b songs. Drums/hi-hats/symbals/bass in the beats were very crisp and I heard a few drums sounds in songs I had never heard before but everything else, again felt muddy and not as good as the BOSE.

Comfort: I wear headphones a lot when traveling and even sitting at my desk listening to music. The BOSE win in this one as the padding on the ears are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours. The monster beats put too much pressure (and I have a small head... 6 1/2 hat size) on my ears and were uncomfortable after about an hour and a half.

Bottom line: If you're used to using come-with-mp3 player or cheap headphones this is a very good upgrade, and if you're looking for a fashionable headphone and have $180 to spare go for it. I recommended trying out the headphones for a bit (best buy you can return them within 30 days as long as there is no damage) and see if you like them and compare them to something similar. Personally I am still going to use my BOSE on ear and look for something different. On ear headphones...BOSE definately. I will be trying out the Monster Beats Studio to see if they are better than the Solo HD's.

2.0 out of 5 stars These are OK headphones at a lower price, February 4, 2012
The Beats Solo look nice and the headband and ear cup material are comfortable. The Control-Talk works well and is a plus. The bass can overpowering, so don't look for audio accuracy. My main issue with these headphones is the durability. If you take a look at the pictures that I have uploaded, the headband pad has separated from the headband. I can still kind of work it back on there but unless i glue it which I won't its going to keep falling off. I expect more from headphones in this price range. I am generally reluctant about buying Monster brand anything but I was willing to give a Dr Dre branded headphone a try, its Dr Dre after all! I will continue to use these until my B&Ws come in later this month and then these are being put away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good One, Monster., February 21, 2012
Let me start off by saying, these headphones are absolutely ridiculous for the price. At $200, I can think of 3 cans right off the bat that I'd rather have than these at a fraction at the price (Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure E2C, V-Moda Crossfade M-80)

Sound Quality: 4/10 - Face it, there's bass, bass, and more bass. The bass impact is great and all, but it seems like everything under 20kHz is lifeless, what some refer to as one-noted bass. Imagine every low range sound being replaced by one note of bass - that's what they've provided here with the Beats. The mid-range is alright, but it feels recessed and lifeless compared to most other cans I've listened to. The high range is just as muddy as Skullcandy Ink'd buds - and both the mids and highs are covered up by the bass. The soundstage is good by the casual listener's standards, but compared to other on-ear open cans at the price range, you can do much, much, better.

Build Quality/Design: 8/10 - These new red Solos are a step up from the outdated version that was completely prone to breaking. These headphones look nice and have some pretty decent street cred (for whatever reason) but that's usual in anything made by Skullcandy or Monster.

Price/Quality Ratio: 5/10 - If these are $200, you can get better overall sound quality from cans by Grado, like the SR80i - looks bad, sounds amazing (basically the opposite of Beats). The tight soundstage, lack of imaging, and overall bad sound quality had me baffled at why people purchase this product. In my opinion, the name and look of these 'phones do not justify a $200 purchase.

Recommended? - No: The only advantage I see to these cans is that they work well with mainstream music genres - hip hop, rap, dubstep, etc.) But, if sheer bass is really what you truly want, take a view at Sony's XB (Extra Bass) line of headphones. They have much better soundstaging, imaging, and bass quality than these, and they go for much cheaper. If you're lookig for good sound quality instead of earthquakes going on during songs, look at audiophile brands like Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Shure, and Audio Technica.

Overall/tl;dr - 6/10: Fashion accessory, not so good for music. Sound quality falters behind other headphones at its price range, but it does look nice.

---------------------

Also, if you think my review is on a fake product, it isn't. I've also auditioned Beats at the Apple store and Microsoft Store; same sound.

Please, listen to this review and do yourself a favor. Do NOT cave in and buy them because you think I'm not right; just give my review some thought, and THEN go buy a different set of headphones

-Recon

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improvement over the regular Solos, December 9, 2010
I am in no way an audiophile, I haven't the money or the time to be, but I am knowledgeable in the area due to a lot of research and friends. I found it disheartening when I looked up reviews for the Beats Solo HD because most of them were 14 year old boys or simply people who have never upgraded beyond apple headphones. That's to be expected though from this product. For the price, yes you can buy cheaper headphones that sound better

and are much cheaper. BUT the cord is spiraled and if you are trying to go out in public with this, they not only look awkward, but they feel awkward when trying to change songs even just walking around...with the cord bouncing everywhere. They aren't made for on the go.
THIS is the main reason I'm writing this review. Buy something else if you are going to be inside all day or working in a studio, I would not recommended the Solo HDs for sitting around the house or work solely based on the price.
If you do want to listen to music in public places aka public transportation, university campus, dog walks, ect...then I would have to go with this pair.
I think I have watched every youtube video review on this pair and some say they are bulky/flimsy, but in reality, they are pretty small and the "flimsy" feeling people complain about is the cups shaking around when they aren't stationed on your head. Let me be clear, they are plastic yes, and they make plastic click noises when you are waving them about yes...but the plastic is durable in the HD edition ( I know this guy looks like an idiot, but its a good example of the new chemical compound used to make the HD version [...] )
and isn't going to snap like the regular Solos. Also, the clicking is a necessity because the cups must move freely to be able to position themselves on a variety of heads.

The sound really is superb on these though. I know most people out there don't know about the upgraded sound in the HD edition...not sure why Monster hasn't been advertising that these sound much better...because after much reading around the web...it seems like almost everyone reads "Solos" and thinks "AHHH TOO MUCH BASS, ITS CRAP AND MUDDY". Seems like they would want to change that.
I can tell you, coming from someone who knows that Bose is a scam and has tricked the mass of consumers into thinking they provide "the best" sound available, that these don't compare at all. They should honestly be compared to real headphones, yet the audiophiles disregard them as "brand name" so oh well.
I dont listen to rap, or hip-hop. I listen to indie-rock, classical, folk, and the like, which no one who reviewed them seems to listen to, so for those out there who DO, these will drastically improve your music listening.

tl;dr
Get these if you want to listen to music in public, get something else if you mainly will use headphones at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOUNDS MATTERS, October 6, 2011
WHAT CAN I TELK YOU ABOUT THESE HEADPHONES, SIMPLY FEET ME SO WELL IN MY HEAD, GREAT DESING, GIVE ME A NEW STATUS IN MUSIC AND FASHION AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING GUYS SOUNDS REALLY MATTERS BYE

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Solo HD are exactly as expected: High-quality, Portable On-Ear Headphones with Mic, May 5, 2010
Michael K Owens (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
SHORT VERSION: Highly recommended. Great audio quality for on-ear headphones. Highly portable and convenient to store. More comfortable than most on-ear cans. Works great as a headset for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad.

LONG VERSION: The Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD (RED) headphones are exactly what I expected: high-quality, portable on-ear headphones with an above average mic. At the time of writing, the only other review on Amazon gives these a 3-star rating and compares the headphones to the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio edition over-the-ear headphones. The problem with that is the two headphones serve completely different purposes. The "Studio" edition headphones are meant primarily for audiophiles who aren't going to be wearing them on the bus/subway or walking around the city, as--like the name suggests--they're studio headphones which are meant for stationary audio consumption (generally indoors). By contrast, the "Solo" line is just the opposite. While they're not nearly as portable as in-ear headphones like those that come with the iPhone or , they make listening to music during a commute on the bus/subway much more tolerable than the tinny sound that you get from the baseline Apple headset. If I were looking to buy a pair of stationary audio consumption headphones, I'd be buying a pair of over-the-ear (or on-ear powered) headphones. Now that I'm done ranting about the previous review, let me give you my take on the Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD (RED):

My Use Case: I commute from around the Haight in San Francisco to around 2nd and Market with about 10 minutes of walking and about 20 minutes on the bus. I am an audiophile tech geek who rarely is not listening to music either on my iPhone, iPad, or Macbook Pro; if I am without one of those three devices, it probably means I'm not interested in listening to music, or I'm at a concert, so take into account that 1) I am an Apple fanboy who is willing to pay a little extra for high-quality products and good design aesthetics, and 2) I commute approximately 10-12 hours a week.

My Previous Cans: My previous on-ear headphones are the Grado SR125s, which I replaced because 1) they don't have a mic, 2) the cord is too long, 3) one of the cans now has a slight bit of static from an unfortunate fall off my desk. If it weren't for points 1 and 2, I'd likely have just gotten those again and continued swapping them out with my iPhone headset every time I needed to answer the phone or make a call. I'm very glad that I investigated on-ear cans that have both a mic and remote on the wire, as I would have likely never considered these headphones without those features mostly because of the higher cost. It should also be noted that SR225s (which are roughly the same price as the Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD) sound slightly better than the Beats but are not nearly as portable and lack the mic/remote.

- Price vs Quality (5 stars): These headphones are expensive. There's no denying that. You pay a premium for Dr. Dre's name, the Monster brand, and the fact that a portion of the sale is donated to charity; however, the fact is that my previous pair of on-ear headphones (the SR125s) were about $60 cheaper, but they did not sound as good, were not nearly as convenient of a product, and were significantly less stylish (if you care about that sort of thing).

- Audio Quality (4 stars): They're not over-the-ear headphones and there is no powered noise reduction, so the music will be slightly less crisp (especially on softer/higher music) and there will be slightly more noise (but not much, especially if you listen to music at a "moderate" volume [i.e. 50% on the iPhone/iPad's Headphones volume meter] like I do). When I'm listening to music on these, I cannot hear people talking to me. With my previous pair, I was often having to turn the volume up to drown out the noise if listening to podcasts or softer music. Now, I don't have to do so. The complaint that these headphones have a "muddy" sound is the same complaint that every pair of headphones that aren't over-the-ear headphones get when someone who is used to over-the-ear headphones reviews them. The Beats Solo (not HD) admittedly did suffer a bit moreso with this problem than most on-ear headphones, but the Beats Solo HD (RED) seem to have corrected this slight issue. If Audio Quality is the sole motivator for your headphones and you're looking to spend $200, you may want to look into over-the-ear headphones instead, as similarly priced over-the-ear headphones will provide a noticeably better Audio Quality.

- Portability (5 stars): This is one of the two features that drew me to this product (the other is the mic/remote that is compatible with my iPhone 3GS and iPad). The fact that the headphones break down separately into the cans and the wire combined with the folding capability of the cans makes these headphones invaluable if you want a pair of on-ear headphones you can easily stow when you get to work or at a function where it would be improper to be wearing cans on your head or around your neck. The little pouch that is bundled with them simply sweetens the deal, as these would get 5 stars in Portability regardless of an included pouch.

- Built Quality (4 stars): While I've only had the headphones for a couple of months, there is no difference in the paint job, the padding, or any of the other components that can often deteriorate with frequent use. It does get one star removed because the band does feel a bit brittle by comparison to previous headphones that I have owned, and I feel like I need to be more careful with them because of it. I haven't had any problems so far, but if you're expecting to be rough on your cans, you may want to look elsewhere.

- Comfort (4 stars): Compared to my previous pairs, these are just a bit above average. I don't think I'd want to wear these all day, every day, as the fit is a little bit tighter than I'd like it to be, I don't notice it during my normal use case (~35-50 minutes of use at a time). The band's tightness has loosened up a bit over the last couple of months of use, so now I'd be more willing to wear them for longer periods of time than during the breaking in period. I wear a size 7-7.5 hat, which is pretty big, so I've had this issue with most headphones. The ear padding, on the other hand, has not changed at all and is significantly better than all previous cans I've owned.

- Style (5 stars): I love red. I won't lie that when I see items by PRODUCT(RED), I smile. It isn't a driving factor in my purchases, but it definitely is a consideration. These cans are sleek, polished, and very attractively designed products. They're definitely an eye-catching accessory both because of their color and the overall look.

- Microphone Quality (4 stars): This was an important part of my decision to get these headphones. My Apple iPhone headset has always treated me very well as a microphone (although it has always lacked as headphones). Before purchasing, I did a side-by-side comparison recording voice notes with the two microphones (as well as a Bluetooth wireless headset). The Solo HD (RED) headphones produced easily the best quality recording, but the volume was a bit lower than I expected because the placement of the microphone is a little bit higher up and further off to the side than the Apple microphone (the Bluetooth wireless headset sounded like crap by comparison to both so I won't bother comparing it). This form factor decision is the main reason that it gets 4 stars. The other reason is because I've had better sounding microphones from V-moda on their in-ear headsets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bumpin Bass, Style, and Audio Quality, October 13, 2010
I have to admit I was a bit skeptical purchasing these headphones as the previous generation Dr. Dre Beats solos got some poor reviews in terms of an overpowering bass and poor build quality. Considering this price point I assume a lot of consumers are looking for the same things I was in a pair of headphones: high fidelity sound, great build quality, and style. Upfront these new HD Solo headphones represent in all there categories.

High Fidelity:
I tested these headphones out in several genres since I listen to an eclectic mix. First thoughts was I found the sound a little too tight and not broad enough. There needs to be an initial burning in period to get the full sound quality, lets say 8 hours or so of heavy listening and these bad boys find their sweet spot.

The first cd in the mix was Kings of Leon Only by the Night I put on 'Sex on Fire.' You get some nice high notes and kick drum beats in this song as well as some killer electric guitar. What impressed me was how sweet the vocals were in terms of clarity and vibrato while still letting the instrumentals shine through. I like my music loud and clear, and these delivered...the kick drum literally vibrates your head with every beat while keeping the mids and highs spot on!

The next cd up was some Lil' Wayne I Am Not A Human Being. I put on the first track 'Gonorrhea.' Damn boys and girls this is where the Solo Beats HD shine, pow pow, like bass so far gone you wonder is there an earthquake in my head. Followed up by a great rendering of the electrical beats and smooth bellowing vocal licks and you know these headphones just busted out a five star review hands down.

I wanted to slow this tempo down with some acoustical guitar from my man Ray LaMontagne. So I will round out this fidelity review with his live performance of 'Empty' off his latest cd Gossip In The Grain. I figured if these headphones would fall short, no doubt it would be on a song like this. The breathy vocals and pedal steel guitar on this track gave the Solos HD some difficulty. I seriously doubt this would be noticeable to most listeners. I found the instrumentals to be a bit spacey on the low registers with the speakers focusing more shine on the highs. If I were to judge the solos entirely on this performance I would still give them 4 stars.

I also watched an episode of "Glee", yeah I said "Glee" Boss! It sounded excellent. Crisp dialogue and nice full body rendering of the song performances. Mercedes preformed a rendition of 'Rag Doll' from Tina Turners old release and it sounded phenomenal. Overall I found the sound quality to be excellent and all encompassing across the numerous genres of music and vocals.

The build quality and style of these headphones was equally impressive.

I know there were some previous issues with the head band snapping in the Solos, but they seem to have fixed that with a metal band that is hidden below the padded head rest. The band seem to has a lot of give and flexibility while still feeling firm. I was most impressed with the tightly fitted hinges where the ear pieces fold out and the thick metal used to extend the ear cups. When extended the ear cups do not fold but firmly remain in their locked position. The padding around the ear is the softest synthetic vinyl I have ever felt and could pass for calf skin leather. The headphones feel soft and supple around the ear. On the head they feel firm, almost too firm at first but do loosen up like a good pair of shoes over time while stile keeping their rigidity . I think this is a true sign of build quality. After breaking them in they feel extremely comfortable on the ears and I have a fairly large head.

The 'Control Talk' cord is in one word, perfection! It is long but not too long, red in color and has a thick rubber skin. The 3.5mm L-shape adapter on the end is idea for plugging into a music player or laptop as it bends inward and safely stays out of the way. I cant count the number of headphones I have had that fray or break off because of jutting out and being pulled, bent, or rubbed to death. I like how I can lay back in bed and type on my laptop with out my headphone jack pushing against my forearm on the side, a huge plus. The other end plugs into the head phones making this a detachable cord which is very nice as it can be replaced independently of the headphones. The 'Control' talk feature is awesome. You have a volume up and down function as well as a small steel(not plastic but steel) button in the center that you click once to pause or answer a call, twice to skip forward, three times to skip backward. This will only work on certain devices though. If you have a mac it will also control your volume and playback features in itunes which rocks! It worked great on my macbook pro and my ipod touch 3rd generation. Though to get the song to skip I had to click twice with some quickness, but it did work.

The finish is done in the same shiny black on these as the Studio by Dr. Dre beats. Simply put these look cool as all get out. The brushed aluminum trim work on the ear cups is a nice touch as well as the beats log on each side. I did not find fingerprints to be that much of an issue on the gloss finish at all. They do include a red microfiber cleaning cloth. In summation, yeah sure for cheaper you could get equal or even better quality sounding headphones. Check out Shure 440's or even some Koss PortaPros if your tight on cash and want good sound quality with less focus on style. However as far as Bass, Style, and Audio Quality goes, check these bad boys out! I highly recommend them! I got mine on the cheap for 169 at Buydig dot com with a 10 dollar coupon (BDRewards10) check it. Or Google them. All the music mentioned above can be purchased right here on Amazon.com.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crackles, and left side stopped working, December 11, 2012
Im an audiophile and have many headphones, but these are crap. I just wanted some cool headphones to wear in public, instead of my ath M50s. Within the first 6 days i got a crackling i n both sides, and returned them to bestbuy. They gave me a new pair and they did tje same. So i got pretty mad, but kept on trying and in the end... failed. i went through six pairs before my warranty expired. Dont get me wrong, they sounded okay when they didnt crackle. so i just tryed getting them on amazon to give them one mire try. and after four weeks the left side would cut out unless i leaned to the left, like a wire was loose. i just gave up and would never recommend these to anyone. if you like the sound these put out, try them but be warned there are better options: vmoda m80, and sennheiser hd238 (open air), and any audio technica headphones. one really good but cheap option is the panasonic htf600, i love this one and the hd 238 because of the unique sound signatures. just try to stay away from these to avoid stress. i hope this helped.