2,365 Reviews
 (1,336)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at th top of this price range
Published 23 months ago by tonrey11

1,534 of 1,693 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, what's your priority?
Published on January 5, 2012 by John T. Shea

1,534 of 1,693 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, what's your priority?, January 5, 2012
Just for the record, I'm not your typical jaded 'beats hater', largely (well probably solely) because I didn't plunk down my own hard-earned cash on these expecting to be blown away. I simply had a bunch of Macy's store credit and gift cards with no better place to go than on some new cans. I figured they would be disappointing but passable and that's exactly what they are. Do they sound like junk? Not to me. I'm not an audiophiles, but I know sound reproduction, and to my ear, these sound like about your average $60 pair of lower-end Sonys or mid-level Skullcandys..not bad, but certainly not good either. The bass response is, sonically speaking, the best part of these phones. It's detailed and full without being overpowering, however it is a bit 'boomy' meaning you get the distorted pop on vocals beginning with the letters p and b, especially at higher volumes...and being that these puppies aren't very sensitive, you will find yourself listening to your music up pretty high. Aside from the bass, the rest of the sonic spectrum is very unspectacular on the Solos. I wouldn't exactly call it muddy, it's more just that the mids aren't detailed or crisp enough and there is not nearly enough musical separation.

Look, let's just call it what it is, the Beats Concept is not based on great sound, it's based on making a fashion statement. The packaging is slick, they look fantastic, and they let everyone know you have $200-$400 to throw down on a pair of headphones. Sound-wise, they simply sound nowhere remotely close to what you would and should expect from a $200 set of phones. To be fair, I would probably give them 3 stars were they not so comically overpriced, as the build quality seems acceptable, the bass response downright enjoyable, and to be frank-the look is just downright smokin'. However I have to knock off a star for the simple fact that you could buy TWO pairs of Grados or Sennheisers for the price of the Solos that sound far better and might even leave you with a couple bucks left over to buy yourself a Caramel Machiato or two at Starbucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones at th top of this price range, January 20, 2013
My son wanted these last year for Christmas. As a former DJ, and having working knowledge about sound and equipment, I was totally against forking over $200 for a pair of headphones just because it has Dr. Dre's name on it, knowing that I could get headphones with comparable or better sound for much less money. After saying, "the hell with it, it's what the kid wants", I caved in and bought them, still saying to myself, "it's not worth it". After being able to pry them off his head about a week later, I tried them and was pleasantly surprised. They were very light and comfortable. The bass was awesome but not overpowering and the highs were clean and crisp. Definitely one the best over the ear sets I've tried. I frequently make digital recordings of old mixes and vinyl and I use these to tweak and EQ the final files. There are plenty of quality headphones in this range from Pioneer, Bose, Sony, Senheiser, and Skull Candy, just to name a few. And many will come in at $20-30 less. But these really look and sound good and what's a few more bucks in Dre's pocket to make your kid happy?
One important thing. These scratch and can crack easily if dropped. My son dropped his and a small piece broke off. I contacted the manufacturer (Monster), and was able to return them for a new pair.
Would I buy them again or recommend them? I already have. I got them for my daughter this Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bass but over priced for quality, August 10, 2010
The Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD headphones in my opinion are ok. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate music and have a great ear for hearing slight differences. I recently purchased these after having my Bose on ear headphones for a few years (was very pleased with them) and decided to try the solo hd's because they are both on-ear models and was looking for a new pair. Having compared the two for a while now I will be returning the Solo HD's for a few reasons. This review is to compare the Bose on ear vs. the solo hd's

Style: give it to the monster beats, sleek design with gloss finish. You will definately be noticed with these headphones and not in a bad way.

Portability: monster wins with this again. Both come with carrying cases. While I do like the bose because the case seems more duable the collapse-able design of the beats is a bit smaller and has a small sleave to fit the cord into. Speaking of cords the monster cord that comes with the beats is much better than the bose. Just buy holding/looking at the cord it is way more durable, tangle free, and gold plated. Monster also makes a perfect length cable as well. The bose cord I found for me, got tangled easily, very thing, and doesn't seem half as durable.

Sound: This goes to the BOSE headphones. While the beats has a very good bass and it's not distorted it's lost when it comes to hearing highs and the treble seemed a little off. I listened everything from R&B to hip-hop and the beats was amazing. Then I listened to some classical, pop, and rock. The beats lost me when it came to those genre's and it was almost like a "muddy" sound, not as crisp. I listen to the same songs using the BOSE and it was a very clear difference as the mids/highs were much better in the BOSE. The BOSE bass can be a bit distorted though when it came to hip-hop/r&b songs. Drums/hi-hats/symbals/bass in the beats were very crisp and I heard a few drums sounds in songs I had never heard before but everything else, again felt muddy and not as good as the BOSE.

Comfort: I wear headphones a lot when traveling and even sitting at my desk listening to music. The BOSE win in this one as the padding on the ears are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours. The monster beats put too much pressure (and I have a small head... 6 1/2 hat size) on my ears and were uncomfortable after about an hour and a half.

Bottom line: If you're used to using come-with-mp3 player or cheap headphones this is a very good upgrade, and if you're looking for a fashionable headphone and have $180 to spare go for it. I recommended trying out the headphones for a bit (best buy you can return them within 30 days as long as there is no damage) and see if you like them and compare them to something similar. Personally I am still going to use my BOSE on ear and look for something different. On ear headphones...BOSE definately. I will be trying out the Monster Beats Studio to see if they are better than the Solo HD's.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY BEATS, May 28, 2014
I didn't get these from amazon I bought them from my college book store. They were not my first choice but I had to buy credit and I had to pay a mark up because it was on college credit and I gave 200 for them. That was higher then I normally pay but I decided to give them a chance. They were light weight and pretty but that was it. The sound was not as good as a 50 dollar set I had. They were clear sounding but I let it go and ran with them. The sound quality is not good enough for the price but still a C rating I would give it. Not good but "passable" but it is not necessarily the sound quality that is the problem as much as durability.

In one months time the rubber pulled off due to the cheap glue used on the rubber. I used them anyway because to me it was not really a big deal. In just 2-3 months the chord was going to hell because they have absolutely no real stress point protection. Since the chord was changeable which was a feature I loved I let it go. One side stopped working in about six months use and I thought it was just the chord and I replaced that and it still failed to work. The inside wires can pull loose and since I do have training in electronics I checked that out and the wires were not and it was either the speaker or the input jack. One thing that you must know is that the inside wiring is a joke. Its so super thin that this could easy mess up on you and cost you a huge repair bill.

The wires are cheap, the plastic sub par and the quality and if this had been a 20-50 tier set I wouldn't have as much qualms but you pay a premium for this and you should get a premium quality pair of headphones. Customer Support has messed up getting my email to me with the address because they keep getting it wrong. They claim to take it in and send me a replacement set because it is within the warranty limit but they are sticking me with shipping fees and claim they can reject it. Beats by Dre are a rip off. They take all of your money and leave you with crap headphones which get out preformed by much cheaper headphones. I feel ripped off at the cost I paid with the poor service and length of use. I deeply, deeply regret owning a pair. Do yourself a favor and do not under any circumstances buy Beats By Dre

1.0 out of 5 stars CORD IS CRAP! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS ITEM!, December 30, 2012
This is the second pair of beats that I have purchased and i'm very disappointed because the 3.5mm jack that plugs into the headphones it junk. When you turn it while in the headphones it crackles and the base falls out, then just doesn't work, now people will say "thats supposed to happen!" but its not. Thats purely a poor manufacture error. And I would want the cord to work on a pair of 200 dollar headphones. If the third pair that i get still doesn't work i'm going to get bose or sony headphones that actually work. Also the green part that goes over your head is plastic and the joints where it folds together, are fragile and bend so they are likely to snap. Very disappointed, because if the cord works, and you have the EQUALIZER set on 'none' for your iPod it sounds good and worth it. But the cord and build of it are crap. Wouldn't waste your time. Amazon was good with letting me return it, they were very cooperative and were easy to return in fact i returned the headphones and the same day, a new pair arrived the after they picked the one at around 8 or 9 in the morning, and they came around 5 or 4:30 in the afternoon! But they probably have a provider nearby.

2.0 out of 5 stars These are OK headphones at a lower price, February 4, 2012
The Beats Solo look nice and the headband and ear cup material are comfortable. The Control-Talk works well and is a plus. The bass can overpowering, so don't look for audio accuracy. My main issue with these headphones is the durability. If you take a look at the pictures that I have uploaded, the headband pad has separated from the headband. I can still kind of work it back on there but unless i glue it which I won't its going to keep falling off. I expect more from headphones in this price range. I am generally reluctant about buying Monster brand anything but I was willing to give a Dr Dre branded headphone a try, its Dr Dre after all! I will continue to use these until my B&Ws come in later this month and then these are being put away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy from AGN1174, it is a fake. Comparison with authentic Beats Solo HD., July 26, 2013
I bought this because it was fulfilled by Amazon, so I thought it can't possible be fake. However, my doubt was confirmed after receiving the product. I went to Nordstrom and bought an authentic one in the end. So here are my comparisons between this one and the authentic one. Firstly, the headphone did not have the usual pearly shine it should have, the pink color is just some cheap plastic looking tacky pink. Secondly, the headphone line looked very poorly made and also it had "Monster" logo on the headphone line. The authentic one should have "Beats" written on it instead of "Monster". Thirdly, the part where you can adjust volume on the headphone line looked broken, even though it was working. The real one should not look broken, it should look very intact. Fourth, the product came in a similar looking pouch as the real one, but with some poorly printed paper pamphlets. They looked like an effort to imitate the warranty that came with the real one. However, an authentic one should have a very thick warranty and instruction book. They would look almost like a CD album and weigh heavier than a normal CD album. Lastly, the sound quality was quite poor. Beats by Dre headphones or earphones should generally have a strong bass output, and the noise cancelling effect should be very good. This fake one does not do all those. It just sounds like a very common no-brand earphone, not even like a headphone.
So here ends the comparisons. However, on a related note, my package came in damaged. The product was intact, but the box was opened up. The tape with "Amazon Prime" printed on looked cut open intentionally. When I picked up my package, I was really surprised at how broken the box looked like. I lived in a school dorm so all packages will go to school's housing front desk. They told me the package came in to them broke. I would trust the school staff that they would not open up any body's packages, so the only conclusions I have left were the package was opened up by someone shipping the product or the delivering company (UPS).

1.0 out of 5 stars Good One, Monster., February 21, 2012
Let me start off by saying, these headphones are absolutely ridiculous for the price. At $200, I can think of 3 cans right off the bat that I'd rather have than these at a fraction at the price (Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure E2C, V-Moda Crossfade M-80)

Sound Quality: 4/10 - Face it, there's bass, bass, and more bass. The bass impact is great and all, but it seems like everything under 20kHz is lifeless, what some refer to as one-noted bass. Imagine every low range sound being replaced by one note of bass - that's what they've provided here with the Beats. The mid-range is alright, but it feels recessed and lifeless compared to most other cans I've listened to. The high range is just as muddy as Skullcandy Ink'd buds - and both the mids and highs are covered up by the bass. The soundstage is good by the casual listener's standards, but compared to other on-ear open cans at the price range, you can do much, much, better.

Build Quality/Design: 8/10 - These new red Solos are a step up from the outdated version that was completely prone to breaking. These headphones look nice and have some pretty decent street cred (for whatever reason) but that's usual in anything made by Skullcandy or Monster.

Price/Quality Ratio: 5/10 - If these are $200, you can get better overall sound quality from cans by Grado, like the SR80i - looks bad, sounds amazing (basically the opposite of Beats). The tight soundstage, lack of imaging, and overall bad sound quality had me baffled at why people purchase this product. In my opinion, the name and look of these 'phones do not justify a $200 purchase.

Recommended? - No: The only advantage I see to these cans is that they work well with mainstream music genres - hip hop, rap, dubstep, etc.) But, if sheer bass is really what you truly want, take a view at Sony's XB (Extra Bass) line of headphones. They have much better soundstaging, imaging, and bass quality than these, and they go for much cheaper. If you're lookig for good sound quality instead of earthquakes going on during songs, look at audiophile brands like Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Shure, and Audio Technica.

Overall/tl;dr - 6/10: Fashion accessory, not so good for music. Sound quality falters behind other headphones at its price range, but it does look nice.

---------------------

Also, if you think my review is on a fake product, it isn't. I've also auditioned Beats at the Apple store and Microsoft Store; same sound.

Please, listen to this review and do yourself a favor. Do NOT cave in and buy them because you think I'm not right; just give my review some thought, and THEN go buy a different set of headphones

-Recon

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improvement over the regular Solos, December 9, 2010
I am in no way an audiophile, I haven't the money or the time to be, but I am knowledgeable in the area due to a lot of research and friends. I found it disheartening when I looked up reviews for the Beats Solo HD because most of them were 14 year old boys or simply people who have never upgraded beyond apple headphones. That's to be expected though from this product. For the price, yes you can buy cheaper headphones that sound better

and are much cheaper. BUT the cord is spiraled and if you are trying to go out in public with this, they not only look awkward, but they feel awkward when trying to change songs even just walking around...with the cord bouncing everywhere. They aren't made for on the go.
THIS is the main reason I'm writing this review. Buy something else if you are going to be inside all day or working in a studio, I would not recommended the Solo HDs for sitting around the house or work solely based on the price.
If you do want to listen to music in public places aka public transportation, university campus, dog walks, ect...then I would have to go with this pair.
I think I have watched every youtube video review on this pair and some say they are bulky/flimsy, but in reality, they are pretty small and the "flimsy" feeling people complain about is the cups shaking around when they aren't stationed on your head. Let me be clear, they are plastic yes, and they make plastic click noises when you are waving them about yes...but the plastic is durable in the HD edition ( I know this guy looks like an idiot, but its a good example of the new chemical compound used to make the HD version [...] )
and isn't going to snap like the regular Solos. Also, the clicking is a necessity because the cups must move freely to be able to position themselves on a variety of heads.

The sound really is superb on these though. I know most people out there don't know about the upgraded sound in the HD edition...not sure why Monster hasn't been advertising that these sound much better...because after much reading around the web...it seems like almost everyone reads "Solos" and thinks "AHHH TOO MUCH BASS, ITS CRAP AND MUDDY". Seems like they would want to change that.
I can tell you, coming from someone who knows that Bose is a scam and has tricked the mass of consumers into thinking they provide "the best" sound available, that these don't compare at all. They should honestly be compared to real headphones, yet the audiophiles disregard them as "brand name" so oh well.
I dont listen to rap, or hip-hop. I listen to indie-rock, classical, folk, and the like, which no one who reviewed them seems to listen to, so for those out there who DO, these will drastically improve your music listening.

tl;dr
Get these if you want to listen to music in public, get something else if you mainly will use headphones at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Solo HD are exactly as expected: High-quality, Portable On-Ear Headphones with Mic, May 5, 2010
Michael K Owens (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
SHORT VERSION: Highly recommended. Great audio quality for on-ear headphones. Highly portable and convenient to store. More comfortable than most on-ear cans. Works great as a headset for both the iPhone 3GS and iPad.

LONG VERSION: The Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD (RED) headphones are exactly what I expected: high-quality, portable on-ear headphones with an above average mic. At the time of writing, the only other review on Amazon gives these a 3-star rating and compares the headphones to the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio edition over-the-ear headphones. The problem with that is the two headphones serve completely different purposes. The "Studio" edition headphones are meant primarily for audiophiles who aren't going to be wearing them on the bus/subway or walking around the city, as--like the name suggests--they're studio headphones which are meant for stationary audio consumption (generally indoors). By contrast, the "Solo" line is just the opposite. While they're not nearly as portable as in-ear headphones like those that come with the iPhone or , they make listening to music during a commute on the bus/subway much more tolerable than the tinny sound that you get from the baseline Apple headset. If I were looking to buy a pair of stationary audio consumption headphones, I'd be buying a pair of over-the-ear (or on-ear powered) headphones. Now that I'm done ranting about the previous review, let me give you my take on the Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD (RED):

My Use Case: I commute from around the Haight in San Francisco to around 2nd and Market with about 10 minutes of walking and about 20 minutes on the bus. I am an audiophile tech geek who rarely is not listening to music either on my iPhone, iPad, or Macbook Pro; if I am without one of those three devices, it probably means I'm not interested in listening to music, or I'm at a concert, so take into account that 1) I am an Apple fanboy who is willing to pay a little extra for high-quality products and good design aesthetics, and 2) I commute approximately 10-12 hours a week.

My Previous Cans: My previous on-ear headphones are the Grado SR125s, which I replaced because 1) they don't have a mic, 2) the cord is too long, 3) one of the cans now has a slight bit of static from an unfortunate fall off my desk. If it weren't for points 1 and 2, I'd likely have just gotten those again and continued swapping them out with my iPhone headset every time I needed to answer the phone or make a call. I'm very glad that I investigated on-ear cans that have both a mic and remote on the wire, as I would have likely never considered these headphones without those features mostly because of the higher cost. It should also be noted that SR225s (which are roughly the same price as the Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD) sound slightly better than the Beats but are not nearly as portable and lack the mic/remote.

- Price vs Quality (5 stars): These headphones are expensive. There's no denying that. You pay a premium for Dr. Dre's name, the Monster brand, and the fact that a portion of the sale is donated to charity; however, the fact is that my previous pair of on-ear headphones (the SR125s) were about $60 cheaper, but they did not sound as good, were not nearly as convenient of a product, and were significantly less stylish (if you care about that sort of thing).

- Audio Quality (4 stars): They're not over-the-ear headphones and there is no powered noise reduction, so the music will be slightly less crisp (especially on softer/higher music) and there will be slightly more noise (but not much, especially if you listen to music at a "moderate" volume [i.e. 50% on the iPhone/iPad's Headphones volume meter] like I do). When I'm listening to music on these, I cannot hear people talking to me. With my previous pair, I was often having to turn the volume up to drown out the noise if listening to podcasts or softer music. Now, I don't have to do so. The complaint that these headphones have a "muddy" sound is the same complaint that every pair of headphones that aren't over-the-ear headphones get when someone who is used to over-the-ear headphones reviews them. The Beats Solo (not HD) admittedly did suffer a bit moreso with this problem than most on-ear headphones, but the Beats Solo HD (RED) seem to have corrected this slight issue. If Audio Quality is the sole motivator for your headphones and you're looking to spend $200, you may want to look into over-the-ear headphones instead, as similarly priced over-the-ear headphones will provide a noticeably better Audio Quality.

- Portability (5 stars): This is one of the two features that drew me to this product (the other is the mic/remote that is compatible with my iPhone 3GS and iPad). The fact that the headphones break down separately into the cans and the wire combined with the folding capability of the cans makes these headphones invaluable if you want a pair of on-ear headphones you can easily stow when you get to work or at a function where it would be improper to be wearing cans on your head or around your neck. The little pouch that is bundled with them simply sweetens the deal, as these would get 5 stars in Portability regardless of an included pouch.

- Built Quality (4 stars): While I've only had the headphones for a couple of months, there is no difference in the paint job, the padding, or any of the other components that can often deteriorate with frequent use. It does get one star removed because the band does feel a bit brittle by comparison to previous headphones that I have owned, and I feel like I need to be more careful with them because of it. I haven't had any problems so far, but if you're expecting to be rough on your cans, you may want to look elsewhere.

- Comfort (4 stars): Compared to my previous pairs, these are just a bit above average. I don't think I'd want to wear these all day, every day, as the fit is a little bit tighter than I'd like it to be, I don't notice it during my normal use case (~35-50 minutes of use at a time). The band's tightness has loosened up a bit over the last couple of months of use, so now I'd be more willing to wear them for longer periods of time than during the breaking in period. I wear a size 7-7.5 hat, which is pretty big, so I've had this issue with most headphones. The ear padding, on the other hand, has not changed at all and is significantly better than all previous cans I've owned.

- Style (5 stars): I love red. I won't lie that when I see items by PRODUCT(RED), I smile. It isn't a driving factor in my purchases, but it definitely is a consideration. These cans are sleek, polished, and very attractively designed products. They're definitely an eye-catching accessory both because of their color and the overall look.

- Microphone Quality (4 stars): This was an important part of my decision to get these headphones. My Apple iPhone headset has always treated me very well as a microphone (although it has always lacked as headphones). Before purchasing, I did a side-by-side comparison recording voice notes with the two microphones (as well as a Bluetooth wireless headset). The Solo HD (RED) headphones produced easily the best quality recording, but the volume was a bit lower than I expected because the placement of the microphone is a little bit higher up and further off to the side than the Apple microphone (the Bluetooth wireless headset sounded like crap by comparison to both so I won't bother comparing it). This form factor decision is the main reason that it gets 4 stars. The other reason is because I've had better sounding microphones from V-moda on their in-ear headsets.