4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, stylish, and not as bassy as previous Beats
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:34 Mins
Published 7 months ago by Art History Professor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound? Good. Build quality? Great. Price? STUPIDLY HIGH.
Published 5 months ago by Jeff Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound? Good. Build quality? Great. Price? STUPIDLY HIGH., November 20, 2013
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I really dig cool headphones...which is only fair seeing as I work in radio and have to wear them every day for at least 4 hours each day--generally longer than the average person, by a rather large degree. I've always been fascinated with not just sound, but good quality sound. It's been that way ever since I really discovered what stereo really was sometime back in the mid 70's (yeah, I'm old--get over it). Over my career in broadcasting I've managed to use any number of good, poor and fantastic headphones. Names like Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Bose, Panasonic, Phillips and more come to mind as models I have either owned or used extensively in my 22+ years in radio. I understand what good sound is, and the difference between that and great sound can be miles apart depending on what it is you want and need your headphones to accomplish.

Since the meteoric rise of Beats in the last 4-5 years or so has essentially not just brought quality sound to more people, but literally created a whole new category of headphones to choose from. Do my Beats sound good? Absolutely. Do they sound great? Well, this is where I'm going to get some flak, but in my personal & professional opinion, no, they don't. I can think of a number of headphones which can evenly match the Beats for bass quality--and yet will cost you less than a third the price. Face it, these headphones are expensive. Do they offer the bang for the buck you forked out, though? No, not even close. When looking for headphones however, I must admit that I look for a few things that not everyone searches for...like durability for instance. Wearing headphones for long periods of time requires comfort as well. Sound is mighty important, but ranks 3rd in my list of what I buy, and may actually be MORE important to you than it is for me.

Let me break it down:

Durability: 5 stars. I believe that these phones are really manufactured well, and that is a very STRONG point for me.

Comfort: 4 stars. Good, but not enough for a full 5 stars and please keep in mind that EVERYONE'S head is different. What fits me perfectly may not fit you well at all. It is CRITICAL that you try them out in advance for this reason alone whenever possible.

Sound: 3 stars. Lots of bass? Yeah...but I need the entire sound spectrum, not just the low end.

Being an amazon top reviewer has afforded me the opportunity to be exposed to a lot more products than I otherwise may be able to afford. People seek me out regularly and email asking if I would be interested in trying out their products in exchange for a fair review. That is how I came to own these Beats...otherwise I seriously doubt I could have been able to purchase them considering their price.

Being in radio I have noticed one major thing over the years: the pair of headphones that are worn the most by those in the business for 10 years or longer is without question, Sony MDR 7506's. By a margin of probably 8 to 1 Sony's really ARE the industry standard. They are also MUCH cheaper, which really IS a sticking point if you ask me. Great sound is one thing, but for the price, I know of several which will give you the same quality for a LOT less--experience counts.

Long story short, yes the Beats are good headphones. Built very well, and even above average for comfort--but for the price, I honestly believe these headphones are ridiculously over-priced. However, if you can afford them and absolutely MUST have a pair of phones that'll impress your friends, by all means go ahead and spend the extra $$.

2.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over the orignal pair but still a overpriced fashion item, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
While these are an improvement over the trash that were the originals, they are still extremely overpriced and not that good. $300 is $200 over what the asking price should be for this pair of cans. The bass has been toned down, which has helped clean up the mids. However, the highs still lack clarity and detail. Thus, I would label these genre specific headphones (for hip/hop, rap). These are in no way, shape, or form "Studio" headphones. In addition, the noise cancellation is terrible. Bose does noise cancellation right. The Beats simply emit a hiss that drowns out ambient noises. My main problem is the asking price. For $300, you can get a pair of V-Moda M100s, which not only sound significantly better, but look nicer and have a significantly better build (flexible steel at all the pressure points). Another great pair you can get for $300 are the Senheisser Momentums.I just don't see the point of shelling out all this dough for an inferior product. I bought my son a pair of $60 Senheissers that blow these Beats out of the water.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, stylish, and not as bassy as previous Beats, August 31, 2013
Art History Professor (The wonderful Midwest) - See all my reviews
Length:: 5:34 Mins

I must confess that I was a hesitant Beats customer. I had borrowed (test driven!) several different pairs from willing students so that I could hear them over a few hours worth of music. I came away each time thinking that they were entirely too bassy for my musical preferences. These new Beats--the redesigned Studios--have fixed that and replaced the need for a new set of AAA batteries every week. In all, these are the most comfortable headphones I own, and although the noise reduction and sound in this model is not as consistently excellent as my Sennheiser 450s, these are, perhaps, a bit more commuter friendly given the streamlined redesign.

Something I forgot to mention in my video review: many owners of previous Beats models have commented about the ways the sound bleeds out at high volumes. No one--at a coffee shop, university library, wife in bed--has mentioned this to me about this model. So hooray for that.

In all, I'm very happy with these, and although the Sennheisers will remain my go-to travel headphones, these will find excellent service in my daily life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over priced flashy piece of trash with moderate sound., March 24, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I don't know where to start with my review. I am filled with anger and rage that I don't know if I can objectively review it.

1) Price point is same as Bose QC15 (at least now) but the quality of noise cancellation is nowhere close. Dish washer sound, people talking, kitchen fan noise do not get cancelled well. I got this headphone for noise cancellation reasons.

2) There is no way to turn off noise cancellation. When music stops, there is an annoying hissing sound. It makes me weep. Beats definitely needs quality engineers. Pay them more please so they work well.

3) At this price point, you'd expect the ear cushions to be top quality (like Beyerdynamic). It heats up my ear so badly.

4) The sound quality is poor. Bass is highlighted. Voice sounds hollow as though someone is singing from the well. Treble is shrill. It's just bad.

One positive point for this headphones is the wireless part of it. I own several pieces of headphones and high end speaker systems.

For sound, beats is the worst headphone I own. If you need good sound, go for Audio Technica M50 studio headphones. (Replace ear cushion with beyerdynamic velvet ones).

For noise cancellation, go for Bose QC15. I haven't tried many other noise cancellation headphones. I did not like Audio Technica's.

Also, headphone reviews are hard. Not all people's ears are made the same way. I am just writing this so you think 10 times before spending those 300$ of yours. Actually, think 100 times for this.

UPDATE:

For the first time, I used these headphones on a 7 hour flight. I am now extremely unhappy with noise cancellation. I mean it does cut most of the noise but you could still hear it. When no music is playing, the noise level is almost the same as not wearing these headphones. I have seen people turn on noise cancellation so they can sleep without music playing into their ears. If you are one of those smart people, you'll not like these headphones. Also, the music quality went down the drain as there was more noise. Basically, you'd only hear bass. Mid and high frequencies get terrible. I am so surprised that a good percentage of people on the plane use beats. Probably, it's all because of excellent marketing and coolness factor. Dammit, I feel like one of those wearing "the" black north face jacket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, PERIOD., February 27, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
The only question you need to ask is "Why is this product so expensive?" The answer is: "You're paying a ridiculous amount of money for the brand and nothing more. Are they quality headphones? Sure, I suppose. Are they worth this much? Not even remotely. The rating I have given this is based pretty much solely on the price to value ratio. I had a chance to try these, and while the sound quality is good, it's nothing that special. My main headphones are Sennheiser HD201 lightweight over-ear binaural headphones, and the sound quality is just as good if not better than these Beats headphones. No better quality whatsoever in these! Mine, however, can be bought for $20 here on Amazon. Basically, if you want bragging rights about your wealth and hipness, go ahead and buy Beats, they are quality headphones. If you're sane, though, and want to get your money's worth, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Bought a pair as a present for family member for Christmas. Unit died within 30 days. Amazon replaced them in January. The replacement unit has also died today in March. Very expensive for such shoddy reliability. Now we get to go through what I am sure will be an agonizing warranty process with the manufacturer. Sigh.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 Days..., January 1, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I had them for 2 days...When i went to charge them today at about 4:30, they wouldnt charge at all. Yesterday they charged but today they didnt. I tried resetting them, evrything. The lights wont even turn on. I dont know if this came with warranty, until i know this, i have just been ripped off.

1.0 out of 5 stars They look great...that's about it..., January 14, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I've come to the conclusion that only posers buy any Beats by Dr. Dre products. These headphone are awful, they look pretty cool...that's it. The sound quality is seriously subpar, zero warmth, too bassy (just like every Dre product), zero mids. You want a good affordable product check out the JVC has500. I had a listen to these Beats to compare them to my JVC's, and the Beats were blown out of the water. Don't even get me started on the Beats Pill... Every Dr. Dre item is an overpriced piece of junk sold to the lowest common denominator that would rather look cool than actually listen to music. Stay away, or just give me the $300 and I'll scream in your ear for you, same effect.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Had a Hissy Fit, September 15, 2013
I'll start off by singing praises to these headphones. All the features you've heard about for the new Beats Studios are great. The adaptive noise canceling is a button on your left ear cup that you press and it mutes the music and disengages the noise canceling, so you can hear sound from outside - helpful. The built-in battery works well, holds charge, and I'm liking the battery gauge that lets me know how much charge I have left. It's also awesome that it automatically turns on/off when plugging/unplugging the audio cable. The headphones are sturdy, rugged, and there is really great, full sound that comes out of them. They were also very, very comfortable. I had them on for a few hours, and it didn't bother me one bit.

My 2 concerns with the new Beats Studios are 1) the Hiss. There is considerable and noticeable hiss/static noise when plugging in the audio cable to make them function for music. I couldn't listen to music at a low volume because the hiss was so distracting. If you're listening to louder music, then it's not as noticeable, which I guess is who the market is for these headphones. My second concern 2) is that they're overpriced! I paid $300 for these headphones and I got hiss. I think when the battery and/or noise canceling are on, you hear the hiss, and they both need to be on for you to hear music, so the hiss will always be there. I'm harping on this hiss because I know it is possible to have no hiss - look at the Bose QC3 - and I don't think this is an unachievable request...especially for a $300 price tag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Don't listen to beats haters, I'm not a beats fanboy but I have to say these are well quality built headphones.

The sound is amazing, bass is deep, and everything is so rich. It has a built in ion battery which keeps charge for about 12 hours, and is rechargeable. It also has a built in amplifier which was a big reason as to why I bought it (I was originally going to go with a Sennheiser HD598 and buy a portable amplifier)

I knocked 1 point off due to how uncomfortable it gets. The pain becomes agonizing on the ears after a couple hours of use, and the band isn't comfortable for long use as well, I even get striking pain on the area the band wraps itself around.

I also knocked 1 point because you get squeeking sounds on one ear bud when there is nothing playing and it happens when the headphones are turned on. It was something that always got on my nerves.

ARRAY(0x9afb9cf0)

Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones (Black)
$299.95 $249.95