Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beats by Dr. Dre Pill - Black (Old Model - Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 25, 2012
The Beats Pill is a pretty awesome little speaker.

It has a lot of the same functions as other speakers in it's category (Jambox, Solemate, etc), but it has a number of things that set it apart from the others.

First is NFC - I you aren't familiar, NFC allows you to simply tap your phone on the speaker and it will automatically pair it via bluetooth. No messing with bluetooth menu settings... It's great! However, you need an NFC capable phone to make this happen. Most newer android phones have it, but if you're an iPhone user, this feature won't help you.

Pass-through Audio - This has both in AND OUT jacks. So, even if you don't pair via NFC/Bluetooth, you can still hook up your computer or other audio sources via cable. MOREOVER, you can use the audio out to make ANY device a bluetooth and/or NFC capable sound device. You could leave it plugged in to your home stereo system and stream music from your phone, if you wanted. HUGE feature (actually why I got this over others).

Speaker phone capability - Some competitors have this, some don't. But, what they all don't have is the easy functionality of the pill. If you're listening to music and get a call, it gives you the option to answer it with your pill. You just tap the 'b' button on the front the answer. If you get another call while already in a call, you can tap and hold to ignore, or tap quickly to switch to the new call. You can switch back and forth between the calls with another button tap, and you can hang up with a sustained press (versus a tap). If you want to switch back to your phone at any time, you just double tap the button. Everything is handled with the same button. It's super simple and feels very natural. The calls themselves are very clear, and I didn't have any trouble with audio on either end.

Style - If beats is known for anything, it's style. The pill, in comparison to its competition, is miles ahead. It fits comfortably in your hand, looks seamless, and feels very solid. There's nothing about this speaker that gives the feel of low quality.

Sound - This little sucker is actually pretty good! I honestly wasn't expecting much from it. A lot of other Bluetooth speakers are using passive radiators to help boost the range of the speakers, but this one isn't... but it still holds it's own! It provides more than enough volume to sit in a moderately busy area and fill it with sound.

Battery life - You can probably expect to see 5 or 6 hours out of it. Most tech blog reviews are saying 7... so I guess I play my music louder than most. Either way, this is a pretty decent time, considering how compact this speaker is. There are other speakers that have better battery life, but they are much larger.

Overall, this is a great little portable speaker. The size is awesome, the sound is good, and the style is classy. The only thing I feel like compares to it currently is the Nokia Play 360, which is much bigger/bulkier, and is still missing some feature that the Pill has.

If I had to complain about anything, it'd be that the sounds it makes when you turn it on and off a little obnoxious. That's it though.

At a $200+tax price tag (picked mine up at BestBuy), I think this is a good value, considering what you're getting. When it comes to bluetooth portable speakers, this one's a winner.
1313 comments|330 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2012
I switched from the Jambox to the Beats Pill. The main reason initially was actually not for the sound quality but for the complaints I got when I was using the Jambox for hands-free conversations with an iPhone 5. For half of the times people on the other side were not able to hear clearly what I was saying. This did led me to compare the Beats Pill with Jambox, JBL Flip and Logitech UE Mobile. I don't think I could find a big difference in sound among Jambox, JBL Flip and Logitech UE, which all seem to give richer sounds. I actually think overall JBL Flip has the best sound, while Jambox is sexy and interactive with the voice messages.

Beats Pill is certainly different from the other three. While Jambox and others give richer sounds, the voice of the singers is somehow always muffled. At the first time when I listened to the same songs with the Pill, I actually felt it sound too crispy and too sharp or "metalized". I changed the EQ setting on the iPhone 5 to "Bass Booster" and then it became almost perfect for me. I also tried the hands-free calls, so far nobody complained.

While everybody is comparing Beats Pill with Jambox, but not with JBL Flip and Logitech UE, mainly because of the close price tags. The prices of Beats Pill and Jambox used to be the same, but not anymore. You would easily see a $50 difference now and you can get a Jambox for a price much closer to those for Flip and UE now. While, UE's looking is not attractive enough. Flip would be OK if it does not remind you of a lying Coca cane.

The carrying case that comes with Pill is certainly a proper one. The one with Jambox does not do much protection and it is difficult to put it on the Jambox.

Overall, I think the Beats Pill is a good quality mobile speaker for both playing music and small conference calls. The battery lasts 7 hrs instead of 10 hrs (for Jambox), which is not a big deal to me. I was going to get a white one but actually selected a black one. The black could look dull, but with the red "b" lightened up, it actually looks very good. I give it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the price difference in comparison with others of similar functions on the market. Also, Jambox is very successful in terms of being interactive, with the voice messages and the future possibilities one can explore with the MYTALK configurations.Beats by Dr. Dre Pill (Black) (NEWEST)

A major update:
Since I had the Beats Pill for about one day, it occurred about 8 times that the sound transfer was stopped. It was paired with my iPhone 5, which did not have a problem with Jambox at all. Called Beats support and was told that this problem was caused by the IOS update to 6.01 and they are trying to work with Apple to solve it. Hope they could solve this problem without a need to update the firmware of the Pill itself. Here shows another advantage of Jambox then of which the firmware update can be done with MYTALK.
55 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
I picked this up at Best Buy, Amazon was out of stock.

This is exactly what I was looking for - small, great sound for a small package, good case, easy connection, can act as a bluetooth receiver, light weight, ability to use as a speakerphone, good looking. I intended to use the Pill when traveling to listen to music when connected to my iphone, ipad and laptop and to use at home for a speakerphone.

HOWEVER, the Pill keeps losing the connection to my iPhone (4s). Occasionally cuts in/out and eventually loses the connection. I have to shut off the bluetooth on my phone, press the Pill's connect button and reconnect from my phone. Not good since I bought it to use for exactly that purpose - bluetooth. Otherwise I would have just bought some cheaper speakers and connected it with a wire. My iPod nano (7th) and both of my laptops stay connected. This happens regardless of the distance - 1 foot, 3 foot, 10 foot. Weird. I haven't tried the speakerphone capability, but if my phone loses it's connection then it's not worth using as a speakerphone.

I'll probably return the item and maybe get another one through Amazon if they are in stock just in case this one is defective.

I've owned a Jambox and played around with the Monster, Jabra Solemate and others that are about this size and I'll have to say the Pill has them beat hands down in my opinion. I also own a Bose Soundlink and love it - none of the smaller lighter speakers come close to the Bose sound, but then again I bought the Pill for portability. The Bose is larger and heavier than what I want for traveling, but for use around the house it is GREAT.

I just want it to work. If the replacement keeps a solid connection I'll amend my review. But as of now I can't recommend the Pill for use with an iPhone.
2626 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2013
My wife got me one for my birthday. I knew it had good sound because I already have the larger speaker from Beats.
I just didn't know how great it sounded and how easy it was to take with you. It really ROCKS.
on January 4, 2015
This was purchased as a gift and was a big "hit" !! We used it this Christmas to play music while we wrapped packages and the sound really is amazing for the size of the speakers. I highly recommend for portable sound quality ... whether working in the garage or outside...or wherever you go.
on May 21, 2014
First let me just say I'm not an audio afficiando so I know only 2 things about speakers... Bose is apparently one of the best and good sound will cost you some $$$. that being said I absolutely love these speakers!!!!! I recently bought a Mac mini and wanted to add better sound to it. Of course I also wanted to not have any wires attached to it. These speakers feel like absolute quality material, not cheap or flimsy, and they sound great!!, much better then your average desktop speakers. The only thing missing is the big bass thumping sound you get from a subwoofer. other than that it does have a little kick to it!. The controls are easy to use and setup took about 2 minutes, and that's only because I was admiring the quality of the speaker as I was setting it up!! I connected it to the Mac via Bluetooth and BAM!! Instant gratification!!!! The little B icon on the front of the speaker glows red when it's on (cool factor increased!) it also has a unique sound notification when you turn it on and off! The loudness it can reach is in my opinion better then average. Granted for what you pay for these you could actually buy one of those surround sound Logitech set ups, but then you'd have wires all over the place!. I have only had the speakers for 1 day but I literally used them for 8 hours, I'm not sure how long battery life will last but seems to be plenty of time for a session at your desk doing work for at least 8 hours!! I will update this if it seems shorter though.

The way I look at it, the main feature you are paying for is the Bluetooth functionality, plus sound quality! And I did look at other cheaper models at local stores, but none of them had as good of a sound quality as these. I love the fact that it's form is cylindrical and all the buttons recess into the surface of the unit, it comes with a simple carrying case and a color steel like O ring clip you can attach to a back pack or on your Jeans. The packaging was nice and simple. It comes with the standard USB charging cable and an audio cable for direct connects to your cell phones or tablets or pcs. All in all I would definetly recommend these speakers to some one who wants to feel cool!! And enjoy the quality of sound and wireless compatibility! 5 stars all the way
on September 3, 2015
Works great. Only issue was that me and my husband would both use it from time to time when the other was not home. When we were both home and my husband wanted to use it, it either wouldn't pick up on his phone or either of ours then sometimes would pick up on my phone when I didn't want it too.
on July 3, 2015
Expensive piece of junk. This thing worked for a bit, but then failed to charge, despite a number of cable/charger combinations. Too late to return. I bought it from Amazon, so I thought it would be OK. Wrong. Never buy Dr. Dre junk - unless you want to donate to his lifestyle.
on October 28, 2014
These are really good speakers, they carry a good sound, are easy to use (by line or blue-tooth), the battery lasts a long time and they are really small.

I guess my only complaint is that I don't think there is any warning when the battery is low, the unit just stops working and you need to recharge.
on February 25, 2013
I was trying to decide between this device or the Jawbone product. I think I chose wisely. This product not only was simple to connect to my phone via bluetooth, but it hold such a long lasting charge. I've gone 5-6 hours of straight playing and have been extremely satisfied. I've found that the pill will outlast your phone and could probably go for up to 8-10 hours straight. Pretty sweet. It's also extremely loud. I had the BOSE deck for my iphone a few years back and it was very loud, the device blows it out of the water. If you want something with great sound that can blow you away this is the device. A few friends of mine have the Jawbone and it's really nice as well, if you're trying to decide from each one you aren't going to make a bad choice, both are quality. I just like the pill because it can be recharged via any cell phone charger and the volume gets so loud.