5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First Two Combined!
Published on October 18, 2011 by Hayden M. Casey

3.0 out of 5 stars Darker and Deeper into the Rabbit Hole
Published on November 22, 2011 by sazbah

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First Two Combined!, October 18, 2011
Beautiful Chaos is the third book in Kami Garcia's and Margaret Stohl's series, entitled Beautiful Creatures. The third installment brings so much more to the plate than the first two did. The action is higher in this book than in the first installments, and of course it ends on a ridiculous cliffhanger, just like the second book did. The book is more depressing than the others, because in this book, Ethan is the one having most of the problems, not Lena, and after all he is the narrator.

Beautiful Chaos makes me so excited for the last book in the series, but it also makes me sad that I have to wait an entire year for it! I can't wait to see what Garcia and Stohl bring to the plate when they wrap up the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Darker and Deeper into the Rabbit Hole, November 22, 2011
I have seriously mixed thoughts on Beautiful Chaos. On one hand, I love Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's writing and, like always, it shines through. The second half of this book was exciting, and left me not just with tears in my eyes, but crying. Ugly crying. On the other hand, the ending felt like a kick in the gut, and I really struggled to get into this book after a very slow start. Beautiful Chaos was not easy to read.

Imagine the movie trailer voice: THIS SUMMER, THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING TO GATLIN. We join Ethan in a darker place than we have before, and something is wrong. He's losing the plot. In addition to dangerous dreams, he's forgetting himself. Memories, phone numbers, everyday details, Ethan's losing little pieces of himself one bit at a time. Not good. He can't even confide in Amma: she's gone darker than she ever has before.

Since Lena claimed herself, both the Caster and Mortal worlds seem to be falling apart. I wasn't joking about the apocalypse. Drought, pestilence, swarms of locusts. The Caster's powers are misfiring, which is kind of dangerous when you can set fire to things with your brain. Where Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness were about choosing your own path, and taking control of your destiny, Beautiful Chaos is about dealing with the consequences, and perhaps about the inevitability of fate.

These books are so immersive. As Beautiful Chaos commenced, some quality or cadence of tone sucked me once more into the tiny world of Gatlin, and had me enthralled by that lush, hypnotic, flowing prose Garcia and Stohl have mastered. The short version: I love Garcia/Stohl's writing. The quality and feel of it. But I struggled to get into the story.

Beautiful Chaos has SO. MUCH. GOING. ON. that for the first half--that's 250 pages, folks--it felt like nothing happened. So much time was spent on setting up so many different plot threads, events, and carrying over ones from the previous book, it was overwhelming. I struggled through the beginning of Beautiful Chaos like I was walking through knee-deep mud. But then, thankfully, it got GOOD. Pages 250-500-something are exciting, mysterious, high-stakes and everything I expect from these two darned-talented authors.

The Caster Chronicles have always been dark, but Beautiful Chaos is darker. The bleak tone and hopelessness of the situation in Gatlin weighed down on me, and as much as I love revisiting the world of this series, for me it made Beautiful Chaos hard to read.

Once again, people are keeping secrets, but this time, the people we trust to have the answers--Amma, Macon Marian and the other Casters--are at a loss themselves. The safety net's gone. The stakes are higher this time; the dangers seem more real. Characters we've come to know and love get hurt. And, as the cover copy promises: this time, there's no happy ending. There's a feeling of desperation hanging over our favourite Caster-Mortal blended/extended family, and it rubs off on the reader.

Unfortunately, for me, Beautiful Chaos didn't feel like its own book, but more of a culmination of the events of those preceding it. The whole book was climax Climax CLIMAX! Then it ended. Seriously. Mega-uber-massive cliffhanger. And not in a good way. Beautiful Chaos was five hundred pages of build up to an event that <em>didn't happen in this book</em>.

I'm the first to admit I don't love cliffhangers, but I can respect a good one... and in a way, I suppose this one was, but, at the same time, there was no resolution to any of the events within this book, and that frustrates me. I was left knowing (almost) as little on page 516 as I was on page 1.

Despite these complaints, I enjoyed Beautiful Chaos. The writing is gorgeous, the stakes are high, the characters I know and love are all there hiding their secrets, and Gatlin? My oh my I love Gatlin.

Beautiful Chaos was dense, overwhelming, heartbreaking and... unsatisfying, on some level. Nevertheless, it's achieved its goal: I'm eagerly anticipating book four, if for no other reason than to find out how this one actually ends! If you're a fan of the series, read Beautiful Chaos. If you're already undecided on this series, Beautiful Chaos will do little to change your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, October 19, 2011
I admit that this book completely took me by surprise. As the reader, I was expecting so many others things but never that. I loved that this book took a whole new spin on love and sacrifice!

What I loved most about this book is the great plot line. So much going on in the book that is kept the reader hooked and always sated. Never once did my eyes stray from the pages as I devoured it. I enjoyed that while the plot line is unraveling secrets, poems, and love popped up where I never saw it. Both authors once again did an amazing job on capturing the essence of the town and the characters!

The characters development in the story is where it needs to be. So much had changed in them that you know that these characters are at their peak. I enjoyed reading along with the characters in discovering secrets that have been under their noses. The book title is great for whats goes on in the book. Chaos. Total Chaos!

Now for the ending. Did I see that coming? No. It was something that left me gasping and WOWed. I won't spoil it, but yeah. Amazing ending that left me wanting more.

Beautiful Chaos is a completion of wonderful literature that had me in awe! I felt like I was in the town of Gatlin as soon as I open the first page, fighting the chaotic events unfolding between the pages. Filled with a great adventure of love and sacrifice, Beautiful Chaos will undo your mind leaving you yearning for more of Gatlin.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Linkubus, please., May 22, 2012
Let's get straight to the point, shall we? The rich, gothic feel surrounding Caster Chronicles is still a story to behold. BUT... Ethan the emo-boy is like these long nails scratching a blackboard. I can't help but cringe when he's getting lovey-dovey and clingy to Lena (who up to now in book 3 cannot fathom her "super" powers). So Ethan, if you are going to die, just die already! Spare us the drama if you please.

I was hoping Linkubus to have more face time in this sequel. Turns out he's still the sidekick best friend who will rescue emo-boy time and time again. C'mon! Link is a supernatural now, not Ethan. I want more Linkubus!!!

I like Liv's character more than Lena. Liv's more demanding and magnetic, more charming and lovable. She and Ethan could've looked good together. Anyway, it was relief that she's still in this book. Liv and Link were quite the reprieve from the Ethan-Lena sappiness.

The scenes with Abraham Ravenwood was fine. In fact, my highlights were during those times Ethan was getting attacked by Abraham and Saraphine, and his scenes with the bokor character. :D Finally, some hostility to erase the icky taste of mushiness! Also, I like Amma's craziness here. What i wouldn't do to have that kind of fierce love on my side. :)

518 pages were a lot to take in. Now I'm thinking: authors, why don't you just trap Ethan & Lena in the arclight? Hee!

Yes, i will still read the finale, Beautiful Chaos. Macon's awesomeness is too good to deny. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome beyond words, February 11, 2013
O-M-Freakin-G!!!! This book was awesome!! I am so happy Lena is over the angsty chick phase!!

There are basically three romances going on in this book Ethan and Lena take lead with Link and Ridley at a close second...and I am not telling the third cause I am spoiler free!! But trust me it is a good one!!

So much destruction in this book! Also many new elements added. It seems Lena might have broken something by claiming herself. This book is about fixing the order of the universe. The twist was obvious to me but that did not effect how much I enjoyed the story.

Perfect pacing and so well written! The characters are engaging and so relatable. There were many moments when I laughed out loud. And even more when I was sobbing and could barely keep reading through the emotion.

I am so happy I waited to read this until the last book was out! There is no way I would have survived the wait after the cliffhanger this one leaves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunned.. and what a cliffhanger!, October 22, 2011
What can I say? I've loved every single book of this series. I waited patiently for a whole year for this book to be released and now that I have it I had to force myself to slowly devour it because it might be another one long year for the next one. The story line took a whole new twist and in this time around, the story was centered on Ethan rather than Lena. It was enjoyable reading and seeing the development of John, Link, and Liv's characters into the plot line. Lastly as for the ending, that stunned me. I was not anticipating that and of course it ended on a cliffhanger. I am already anxious to read the last and final book and at the same time sad to see this series coming almost to it's end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great... but expected more, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Chaos (Beautiful Creatures Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Let me start by saying that I devoured Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness. However, while Beautiful Chaos had its capturing MOMENTS, the book was simply, to me at least, just a filler. I definitely feel that it rambled more than told me a captivating story, like the first two books. At the end I was left desiring more, because I felt the true story lay beyond what was told in the book.... it was not the cliffhanger ending that made me not like this book as much as the others, I LOVE cliffhangers, but the whole book made me feel like the story did not take me anywhere important and captivating like the first two. Okay, there were definitely some noteworthy developments in this book, *spoiler* such as the development of Macon's powers; however, I feel like this book was meant to stretch the story out more than anything else. A lot of rambling could have been left out, and more telling events could have been focused on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nineteen Moons, October 24, 2011
Basically, if you enjoyed the last two books in the series, you're going to like this one as well. I was a little irriated that the book ended where it did but I was relieved when I turned the page to see the words "Nineteen Moons-". Without spoiling the ending or talking about the cliffhanger, I wanted to point out something I had found regarding the Metonic Cycle and the "Greater Year of the Full Moon":

"The number nineteen is of special significance to the cycles of the moon in their interaction with the solar year. The ancients noted that every nineteen years the full Wolf Moon arose on the first day of the new year, December 23, and it was often eclipsed. In addition to this, the moon also stayed at its northernmost latitude almost constantly at this time, appearing to "stand still" in the north."

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the novel but seeing as how it was one fo the first things to show up when I searched Google it gives me some hope about the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars. Great series, especially on Audiobook., February 7, 2013
4.5 Stars

Book Review:
In this third installment of the Caster Chronicles, we jump right back into Ethan and Lena's world after the exciting ending of Beautiful Darkness. Here's a quickie summation of how Beautiful Darkness ended and Beautiful Chaos begins: Ethan and Lena are rebuilding their relationship and dealing with, yet again, the curse and the prophecies. Link is dealing with being a Linkubus. Ridley is "not" dealing well with losing her Siren powers. Macon is learning about his new powers. Liv is learning how "not" to be a Caster librarian. John Breed is MIA, well, not to us, but to most everyone else. Abraham Ravenwood continues to be as crazy and evil as ever.

I love that Ethan's life was in such chaos this time around. Sure, Lena still had her issues, but now Ethan has his own problems to deal with. He's got mysteries to solve and secrets he has to decide if he's going to share or not. Instead of just being the boyfriend of some super special girl and following her around, he takes on a new, much more pivotal and important role, and I loved watching his growth as a character. We get to see how he copes and how others rally around him. He has a new role and I really liked how real his character was, dealing with his different feelings or emotions. I liked Ethan even more in this book.

I also loved the involvement of the secondary characters once again. Garcia and Stohl do such a tremendous job at integrating more than just the main characters. The secondary characters continue to play important roles, they each have their own dimensions, and they grow and change as well. I was so impressed by all the happenings going on, and how Lena and Ethan had to learn to work with each other, and especially with (or around) others, including dealing with their personal issues with Liv and John Breed (whom I was also glad to see that they were integrated into the story more). Ridley also gives us a good show, and I felt the angst between her and Link. Even though I didn't agree with most of Ridley's decisions, I could see where she was coming from and all the confusion she was dealing with. This book continues to not be limited to just the teenagers. They must work alongside (or against) the adults, depending on their allegiances, and I appreciate that these teens (for the most part) are respectful, yet can hold their own when they need to. Again, this is a great character-led book.

The plot goes all over the place, and I loved that I couldn't just figure everything out right away. There is such play between light and dark and their intertwining themes. There are many levels to the storyline, and so much to try and understand. I felt like I was right there with Ethan, trying to decipher what was going on with him personally, as well as the prophecies and the ever changing song. And that ending...well, let's just say I'm glad I can start reading the last book right away. It was a touching ending, with a cliff hanger to boot. I'm looking forward to diving into Beautiful Redemption and seeing how this amazing series will end.

Audiobook Narrator Review:
I love that this series has the same narrator in all the books. That does wonders for its continuity. I've listened to other series where they change narrators between books, and unless that new narrator is beyond stellar, it's just not a good idea. This narrator, Kevin T. Collins, continues to impress me with his variety of Southern accents and his ability to get the emotions of the dialogue across. There were a few instances when I found his narration of Ethan to be a little whiny, but I still enjoyed the overall narration. I will definitely listen to the last book on audio as well, since I enjoy Mr. Collins' narration so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this book!, November 12, 2011
First Impressions: I've been obsessed with this series ever since Beautiful Creatures and the massive Beautiful Darkness. After finishing Beautiful Darkness, I was basically freaking out because I knew it would be awhile before this latest installment would be released. Lucky for me, I was able to receive a copy for a review. Not that I wouldn't have ran out on its release day and bought it, because I totally would have otherwise. This series is one that I like to give away as gifts, and I have purchased three complete sets for my crazy friends who haven't read them yet. If you haven't read the first two books in this series, I highly suggest it before picking up Beautiful Chaos.

First 50 Pages: Despite me dying to read this book, I didn't pick it up for about a week before I received it. Why? Well, the fact that in the book synopsis it states that this time around no happy ending will be in sight. That freaked me out a little bit and it made me really nervous about what was going to happen in the story. I was kind of expecting something major to happen in this book though because of other events that took place in the first two books. Just like the previous books, this one centers around a song called Eighteen Moons. Eighteen Moons doesn't have a happy ending, and well, you get my point. Not only was I worried about the predicted doom and gloom, I needed enough time to read this massive book. So I waited until a, well gloomy Saturday to be able to sit and read this all in one sitting.

Plot & Characters: From the beginning, I was once again sucked into the world Kami and Margaret have created. I love the characters these authors have created and they just seem to get better and better with each book that comes out. In this book, their emotions are brought to the threshold and everything becomes much more dark and deep then in the previous novels. Beautiful Chaos centers mostly on the character Ethan and Lena. If you are a big fan of Ethan like I am, prepare yourself! Something happens in this book that just about broke my heart (and pulling out all of my hair to get the next book in my hands).

Link and Ridley are also big characters, but I don't think they are showcased quite as much as they were before. I really don't mind Link not having a ton of page-time because she really is my least favorite character of the bunch. I hate the way she has this selfish attitude and the way she is always messing with Ridley. Ethan though...sigh..I can't give too much away!

As for the ending, there is a major, major cliffhanger. It nearly devastated be and I'm pretty sure I felt my heart crack in two pieces. Why Kami and Margaret? WHY!!? I suggest keeping a box of tissues close at hand for this one!

Final Thought: I most definitely recommend reading this book. I loved how it took on a darker, edgy atmosphere and dived a little bit deeper into this world the authors created. Just be prepared for all of the doom and gloom, and if you are, you're going to fall in love with Beautiful Chaos!

Rate and Discover Movies