5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book by a beautiful person
I have had the privilege of seeing this collection up close and I know that it is absolutely amazing. This book is for the person who collects Duran Duran, or for the person who does not but appreciates the memorabilia spanning Duran Duran's career. It is a wonderful table piece and conversation starter, that chronicles the bands journey from the beginning.

And...
Published 11 months ago by aqcheryl

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I have been a Duranie for over 30 years and I was really looking forward to this book. Because of the price, I asked for it for my birthday and I have to admit that I was disappointed with it. I guess I expected something more than tour posters many of which are the same but different dates.
Published 9 months ago by LisaR

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book by a beautiful person, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)

And no less authored by an awesome person who treasures each and every item - I am very thankful for this book, as for a brief spell we are allowed to walk through the authors shoes and appreciate the beautiful posters. Now we just need a book on their record collection. ;p

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph., February 28, 2014
S. Martin (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
This gorgeous tribute is a must have for not just fans of the band but for those who recognize good advertising as an amazing art form. The creators have painstakingly compiled Andrews incredibly loving collection to share with everyone, beautiful photography as well as precise coordination and thoughtful text make this book one that you will read again and again. Truly a heartfelt gift to us who still long for those careless memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Colors, Beautiful friends..., April 4, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
Just finished an uninterrupted, gloriously intense afternoon of reading and appreciating the beauty of my friend Andrew Golub's outstanding, amazing book, Beautiful Colors, The Posters of Duran Duran. The sheer volume of his collection spectacular; but along with Christine Born's stunning photography, Andrew's finesse with words and organization, plus the absolute artistic pop of the band's look and dramatic designs, the book itself is worth so much more than a showcase of his collection. Yes, I know Duran Duran is just some 80's video band to some people, but they have never stopped making music; the book is supremely laid out in order of all 13 albums and is a fantastic representation of their work and Durandy's immense archives. This book is a showcase of the true love, dedication and sheer power that the fans of Duran Duran possess and share with each other, the band, and the music world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure for any Duran Duran fan!, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
A Seattle resident, Andrew Golub is a long-time fan of Duran Duran, and has amassed a huge collection of memorabilia. Part of his collection is concert posters: some common and some rare, those that saw wide distribution and those that were never released. His book consists of these concert posters, and Beautiful Colors is aptly named.

The early posters stand in stark contrast to the later image of the band. Duran Duran, perhaps more than any other band, epitomized the color-drenched, lush MTV look. Think of the videos for "Rio" and "Hungry Like The Wolf." (A major exception is the video for my favorite song of theirs, "The Chauffeur." This moody, atmospheric song gets the black and white treatment, and rightly so.) It would seem that the advent of MTV brought about a change in Duran Duran's concert posters. If a band recognizes a hot commodity, they'd be foolish to not take advantage of that, and their looks were definitely a hot commodity. This is reflected in the book as photos of the band begin to dominate the posters.

Duran Duran was sometimes seen as a bunch of pretty boys making throwaway pop music. I never felt that was true or fair, and I feel that their music stands the test of time. Yes, they were gorgeous, and yes, they had some great hits on radio and on MTV. But their talent as musicians and songwriters cannot be denied. They crafted some amazing songs, and they were and are all talented musicians. It is forty years later, and if I hear "The Reflex" or "Wild Boys," I still shake my groove thang! "Rio" remains in my personal Top Ten albums.

The advent of MTV brought their vibrancy to light, and concert posters of that era showcased that. The colors leap out at you, and their looks are enhanced with makeup and coiffed hair.

Golub's book beautifully shows this. The transition from traditional graphic posters to those that showcased the band's glamorous looks is readily apparent, and as some wise person once said, "Sex sells." Duran Duran also had the music and talent to back up the sex appeal, unlike many others of that era (or of this era, frankly). The posters in this art book show the development of a Birmingham band working the clubs to MTV darlings and arena artists. It is beautifully done, and any fan of Duran Duran would treasure this volume. A forward by Nick Rhodes is icing on the cake.

[Please note: I am receiving no compensation for this review; it is based on the press kit sent to me by the author. The words and opinions are my own.]

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every Durannie out there!, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
I love, love, love this book!

If you, or someone you know, are a fan of Duran Duran, then you need this book. It is amazing! I especially loved being able to see the non-USA posters that I've never had the opportunity to see, plus I found out that a few of the posters I do own are, in fact, quite rare.

It also comes very nicely boxed if you are giving it as a gift.

A true collector's item done by a true Duran Duran fan. Thanks, Andrew!

5.0 out of 5 stars For all Duranies, March 23, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
Great publication with posters from their beginnings to the latest shows. Beautiful Colors lives up to it's name with lots of glossy pictures of the posters, which are all done in the artistic Duran Duran style we know and love. They will take you back to all those concerts you went to, and the ones you couldn't. Very interesting to see who they supported and who supported them. Would recommend it to anyone who loves collecting Duran Duran related products.

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who ever loved Duran Duran..., March 20, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
...this book is for you. From the very beginning Duran Duran had a flair for the artistic. This book showcases all the posters and album art from their humble beginnings to present. This collection is simply amazing and it will go in my safe deposit box as soon as I've finished reading every word and memorizing every poster. Well done, Andrew. WELL DONE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 1, 2014
LisaR (Mount Holly, NJ United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful treasure!!!, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
I love this book! Gorgeous concert posters meticulously catalogued and displayed. The book is a true treasure for any Duran Duran fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Must-have for any Duran Fan, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran (Hardcover)
I don't even know where to start. This is a clear labour of love, and you can see the effort, diligence and passion that Andrew has for Duran ephemera. I just love the way the book is organized, the little details he includes and the amazing reproductions. This book is THICK too... which will bring a massive smile to any Duran fan. There is no question that this should be a part of any fan's collection, or anyone interested in the evolution of graphic style. This band was on the cutting edge, and its all laid out there for us to flip through at our leisure.

Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran
Beautiful Colors: The Posters of Duran Duran by Andrew Golub (Hardcover - 2013)
Used & New from: $75.00