5.0 out of 5 stars Dark & Raw - An Amazing Story
This book is the epitome of dysfunctional. It is a truly amazing story but be warned that it is raw, gritty and downright nasty. At the same time, it is about love, loss and grief. It is about battling your demons and finding your soul only to have it ripped away and shredded right before your eyes. It is about power, jealousy, vengeance and guilt.

The theme of...
Published on October 23, 2012 by Ocean_Angel

1.0 out of 5 stars It sucked!
Published 20 months ago by L. Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark & Raw - An Amazing Story, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The theme of the story is not unfamiliar but the execution certainly is, in my experience anyway. It is explosive, with characters, both teenagers and adults, who are utterly depraved, deeply troubled and morally destitute. It is extremely well written - the author has a fluid and clear writing style that draws you in and firmly holds your attention. The book contains very heavy drug and alcohol use, some racial disharmony and extreme sexual situations that are not for the faint of heart or younger readers.

The story begins with a bet. Can Nicholas seduce Ellie? No one expected this time to be different, but it is and his friends don`t understand why. Jealousy fuels rage and rage fuels stupidity. Lives spin out of control and everyone becomes vulnerable.

I will not easily forget this story. In fact, it was left open ended and I will snap up the sequel the second it is released. This book is incredible and I highly recommend it to those who won`t be put off by the blatant honesty of the story. It is gripping and unforgettable and there is nothing pretty about it. Very well done.

1.0 out of 5 stars It sucked!, March 23, 2013
This was the biggest pile of crap and a huge waste of time. The characters were horrible. The actions of the book were so out of left field and sometimes it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. The author would focus great thoughts on pointless/throw away characters which was such a waste of time. Why would anyone care what random nurse #4 thinks of a character? I know I didn't care but I was forced to read their thoughts. Maddie...just no. I can't even begin describe that train wreck of a character. The "hero" did a complete 180 in five seconds and turned back to the uber douche we were introduced to in the first chapter but worse. It made no sense and I wish I could get my money and time back. It was just uuuuuugh. Not a fan of this at all. I wish I could give this crapfest negative 5 stars because it was that bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Disaster Yes... Only If No Follow Up!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What happens when you make choices you know are wrong? When you ingnore your inner voice warning you about something or someone? When you are in love and it's not returned? When you've told so many lies they become the truth. When you choose sadness and self-pity over happiness and love? Beautiful Disaster is just that a Beautiful Disaster. Life is full of choices and with those come consequences.

All of the charaters in this book are raw, vulnerable and filled with pain. Some wanting/looking to be loved and some not. Then there are those hell bent on making someone's/anyone's life like miserable. This book will take you on an emotional journey of several characters lives.

Warning it ends on a cliffhanger. One can only hope there is a fast follow up with the next book. To many holes left with all the characters. It's still very much worth the buy to read!

1.0 out of 5 stars A baby for everyone!!!, July 8, 2013
ToniroTTen (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book lost me from the beginning. With the way it starts off, you'll swear it's really a transcript for an episode of Teen Mom.

"I'm a parent, but I'm a teen too! I should be doing teenager things!"

Seriously? Stop worrying about prom and open a book.

The characters (main AND sideline) were really boring and some of their lifestyles just a little too over the top for my taste. Who lives like this? It was reaching, especially considering these were only high school aged kids.

(Spoiler) What drove me absolutely out of my effin' mind insane is that there is ZERO mention of protection/pregnancy prevention in this book. NEIN! You have a main character who became pregnant at a young age, repeating over and over how she won't make the same mistakes, YET SHE NEVER MAKES HER BOYFRIEND WEAR A FREAKING CONDOM! Really? It didn't ring true. It's like the idea never even popped into anyone's head and there's a whimpering toddler in the next room.

The weird story with Matt and "Nicky's" (I hated that nickname) father and then the uncle who lived "in the manor"... lol... What the hell is going on in this town?
It's also never explained why Ellie's uncle was in prison for 10 years. PRISON. You might want to ask before you move in with him.

Anyway. You know its going to end on a predictable note. Maybe not book 1, but the series for sure. I'm not sure why I'm torturing myself, but I think I'll actually read book 2.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your time., December 18, 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If you searched beautiful disaster and got this book, I'm guessing you really wanted the one by Jamie McGuire. GET THAT ONE!!! What a stupid f'in book. I read the whole flipping thing thinking there may be some redeeming qualities. Rarely do I hate a book so much. The issues: SPOILERS.

1. I can get over that they are all whores ( men and women alike), because I like a good sex scene as much as the next person, but seriously not one mention of protection especially when this is geared towards the very impressionable YA. (Sorry if I'm showing my 34 year old age) Ellie has already been knocked up once and Nicholas is a total man whore, but one redeeming quality could have been that he never didn't not use protection.

2. The nickname Nicky for someone who is supposed to be a gorgeous sex god. Kept thinking it was a cats name. Enough said

3. SOOOOO many grammatical errors and missing words.

4. There was an entire chapter that the author meant to have as a "flashback" near the end that was done so bad it just appeared to be put in the book in the wrong place. if anyone had done any sort of editing job before it was released this things would have been picked up on.

5. I honestly don't know the authors name because I don't even care enough to look, but I was trying to determine if he/she was from the states or not. Parts were so American and tried for "big words to sound smart"' yet there is a line that Ronnie (a 100% completely unnecessary character, along with Terran who were both introduced more than half way through the book) said about not being able to wait to take Gabe's surname. WTF???

6. The ending. Seriously I had to read this whole thing only to find out Ellie is knocked up again (once again no protection) and "NICKY" didn't have one redeeming quality with no apparent reason at all. Wasn't friends with Matt again, yes hooked up with Evey, no closure on what happened to Tony. Even when his uncle and mom could have made it the book so much better with he destruction of his dad.

7. If there is a sequel DO NOT BUY IT. The book could have ended as is, but then had an epilogue of like 6 months later he goes to restaurant because he has to see her and sees she's pregnant. With a lot of groveling he could have said he snapped with death of daughter, now getting second chance, been there for the delivery, asked her to marry him, etc. end of book

Sorry for the vent. I only write lenghty reviews when I LOVE a book or absolutely DETEST a book. Guess which bucket ths falls into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cruel Intentions x1000, November 24, 2012
Crystal E Barr (Little Rock, Ar United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Holy Hell !!!!!! That was like Cruel Intentions on heroin and crack. Gritty doesn't even begin to describe this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it...., July 3, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I understand that not everyone is going to like this book. That being said I LOVED it. It was cruel and gritty but underneath there was great love and beauty. It takes you through the minds of teens who have way too much freedom and not enough love. I personally can not wait too read the next book. I definitely think this is a work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book blew me away., June 27, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was a complete surprise to me. After reading a good review about this I decided I had to read it even though it came out over 2 years ago.

Nicholas is an entitled bad boy at his high school. Due to his family issues he excercises his demons by taking advantage of the girls at his school. One by one he seduces them and reduces them to smithereens when he dumps them. We see the evidence of this with his interactions with Maddie, a girl who has crushed on him for years.

Nicholas decides to pursue the new girl in school, Ellie with the same motive. The difference being he actually falls for Ellie along the way. Ellie has been around the block herself. She is the poster child for a young girl who took the wrong path but is now back on the road to recovery. Having a daughter and her own heart to protect better this time she is hesitant to let Nicholas in.

With time the couple grow together but unfortunately both of their pasts come back to mess with them. I have to admit I really was not a fan of Nicholas. He did kind of grow on me but as I expected he really was a disappointment in the end. I find his behavior to be contradictory as I did not expect him to be so profoundly affected by what happens with Maddie. (Trying hard not to give anything away) Since I found it hard to buy that behavior it really bothered me that it was the cause for his treating Ellie so poorly. Ellie also disappointed me with the circumstance she finds herself in at the end of the book. She really should have protected herself better and her pain would have been much less.

Regardless of my criticism, I definitely was drawn into Nicholas and Ellie's story. It definitely is not a light hearted romance and it will at times tear you apart emotionally. The Cliffhanger ending would have been very upsetting if I didn't already have the next book downloaded. I cannot wait to get that one started.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 heart review, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Okay, if you haven't read this book, heck this series, I have 5 words for you... what are you waiting for????

When I started this book I wanted to hate Nicholas. I mean, let's be honest, he's an a-hole on his best day. Yeah, it's that bad. It's definitely not something Ellie needs in her life right now. But holy crap if you don't seriously love the man by the end...Just like Ellie, I didn't want to like the guy, let alone love him. And I did.. I fell hard for him...totally loved him. Close to being obsessed with him.. well, til the end that is. Til the freaking end. I'm sitting here like swooning over Nicholas, all...let me love you.. because he just turns around. He becomes a MAN, not the boy we meet.

Francette does an amazing job of taking one of the biggest a-holes and turning him into one of the best book boyfriends I have ever met. And also, smashing my heart into smithereens at the same time. She demolished me with the ending. This is one of those stories that no matter how much time passes, you will always remember the emotions it drug out of you. You will always remember how much you loved this book, this story, this love, this heartbreak. I will be honest, at the end I was destroyed. I wanted a different ending. I wanted something else. I didn't want it to end this way. It's not supposed to end like this, i want them all to have a happily ever after. That crap better come in book two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, June 15, 2014
First Sentence:
Nicholas Grayson wasn't a nice person.

Storyline:
I must confess that when I read the blurb I was intrigued and knew I would like it BUT I felt like I already knew how the story would evolve and end. This, since I have read a lot of books with similar story lines. However I was very wrong. Even though the big picture was alike other books it was so unlike anything I have read. I absolutely loved it and was constantly surprised. Never a dull moment and I was instantly caught in the story and did not want to go to work lol!
Some parts of the story was making me so sad and where heartbreaking. It almost made me cry! Other parts had me laugh out loud.

Charachters:
Ellie Holbrook is the heroine in the book and I loved her. She has a very rough past littered with abuse, drugs and so on. When she finds herself pregnant she is forced to grow up and she excels at it. She is so mature for her age and is awesome with her daughter Sophie. She is confident and knows what she want. She does not joke around and when she knows what she wants she goes after it.
Nicholas Grayson is the ultimate douchebag! I absolutely hated him in the beginning. His attitude sucked and I could not stand him. He did what he wanted just because he could. No caring at all if his actions harmed others. Bleh! Selfish bastard! That was until he met Ellie. She started out as a bet and eventually became so much more. Nicholas started to realize that the front he had put up was not going to work with Ellie and she made him want to be better.

Romance:
There was a lot of romance and it was hot and sizzling! A bigger rollercoster I would have to look for. Ellie and Nicholas love story has so many ups and downs that you almost get dizzy. But it totally works and thats what makes their love so awesome. The can be so perfect together and other times they are a total disaster waiting to happen. As the book so adequately is called their love really is a beautiful disaster :)

Action:
Not much action as in real fighting but there was a lot of other types of action in the story. It felt like it was Ellie and Nicky against everyone else all the time. A lot of other characters had their own agenda as to why they should not be together and had no limits of how far they would go to get it.

Cover:
Simple and lovely! Don't you think?

Beautiful Disaster (The Bet Book 1)
$3.99