Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 7, 2007
After reading the reviews posted here, I fully expected that I would dislike this book. I read it, and was very surprised. I do think the book is a product of its time, and I can see that it might appear dated and irrelevant to many readers. However, I think several of the reviewers were unfair. To mention a few examples: The book does not say that women shouldn't wear make up, it says they shouldn't be fixated on their appearance and try to look like the women in make up ads (and if you have seen some of the prepubescent models wearing ridiculously heavy make up, you probably agree that your daughter shouldn't be encouraged to copy this style). The book does assume that many or most of its readers will be housewives, however, it says that proper ambition is good for a girl and she can be a successful businesswoman. It also seems to me that the book has more advice on WHAT a girl says, how kindly she means it, and how gently she expresses it, rather than what her voice naturally sounds like, as one reviewer implied. The idea that everyone (men AND women) should be careful about what they say and the tone they use to say it is hardly unbiblical (see James) or misogynistic (since when does anyone like a snappish, interrupting, crude, bitterly sarcastic person?).

I also noticed, since I'm in a grad school course on adolescent psychology, that in many points this book follows what we know about adolescent development based on scientific research very faithfully (especially identity development, cognitive development, etc). I think all her points are Biblical, and it is useful to have a guide to adolescence that brings together many of the teachings of the Bible in one volume. I would advise parents to consider using this book, and as they read through it together, discuss how the book can best be applied to modern life (I think it is better to train a child to think critically and carefully about every text they read rather than struggle in vain to find something you agree with exactly). I think it would make an interesting conversation starter, at least.
0Comment|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2001
This book, although worded in early 1900's-language, provides timeless guidelines for living a life that is pleasing to God. It brings young ladies out of the world back into Biblical principles and lifestyle. It has practical advice and makes you think about how you present yourself to the world, and how you represent Christ, and how you ARE the bride of Christ. I am a 14-year-old girl who really, really enjoyed this thought-provoking book. I plan to make my little sisters, future daughters and future granddaughters read it. Too many mothers today have been contaminated by the world and pass that on to their daughters, not realizing they are cheating their daughters out of living a life of modesty, of chastity, of purity, and of godly womanhood. If you are a mother, you would do very well to read this book, pray about it, then read it with your daughter and pray some more! If used correctly and with the reading of Scripture and the companion book, Beautiful Girlhood could change your life and the way you view your womanhood. "Being a woman doesn't change the kind of Christian I am, but being a Christian changes the kind of woman I am." Elisabeth Elliot (paraphrased-can't remember exact words! :)
22 comments|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2003
when i picked this book up, I thought it would be full of silly, stuffy, arcane knowledge.
I was wrong. I was impressed with this book. It is full of sweet, kind advice on different virtues and how to deal with emotions. My favourite part of this book, however, was that it lacked the scary, condescending tone of so many young adult books for adolescent girls have. adolescence is scary enough- this book acknowledges that, and doesn't strike any unnecessary fear into girls about their bodies or minds. I like how it emphasised being a good friend and a good person, and how it was more important to look 'tidy' rather then be beatiful, skinny, etc. Thats what I like most about this book-today young girls are submitted to so much nonsense in the media on how they are 'supposed' to look and so many have low self esteem, eating disorders, etc.
and yes, this book does talk about going on to further education or working after school. not as much as a more modern book would, given the time period, but you can explain that to your girl yourself.
This book doesn't go into the harder aspects of life today-sex, drugs, etc. It really only deals with emotions, friendship, spirituality, etc. however it is a great starting point for young preteens and i reccomend it.
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2004
This is a wonderful book. I love it! I have read it many times.
Yes, I can see some of the ways other girls might think that this book seems old, but the thing is girls today are not focused on Jesus, and becoming who He wants them to be. This book helps girls develope Godly character.
I cannot see how obedience,truthfulness,and sincerity could be thought to not be based in the Bible.
I am holding the book right now, it talks about how we should want what God wants for us, how we should be modest if not for our own sake then for the sake of pure minded boys, it talks of many other important things, it is a great book!
This is a beautiful book and I highly recomend it!
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2000
I have a daughter in the throes of adolescence and have found that reading this charming book together is a wonderful way to strengthen the mother-daughter bonds. The short chapters encourage and inspire young girls to grow into lovely young women. It is deservedly a best selling title among home schoolers.
on December 1, 1999
This book is soooooo good! I love reading it so I will grow up like God would want me to. This book is gripping. I could not put it down! I hope more girls will read it and be totally turned around. The book tells you how to be honest, be true to friends, be kind and considerate to your family, and so much more! There is even a whole chapter on guys! I recommend this book to ANY girl!
on April 8, 2004
I absolutely LOVE this book! It has helped me so much in my walk with Christ and how I look at myself and carry myself, etc. I've read this book three times over and am starting on the 4th time. I read a chapter every day and pray over what I read asking God to give me the grace to be the beautiful girl He desires me to be, not just in outward appearance but inwardly too! I have the Ideal Woman list on my mirror and every day I pray that I will be that ideal woman =). Yeah, it does have some old language but I think its beautiful. Girls now have lost the sense of who they are as women and this book really brings it back. We're not something to be paraded around or ogled. We are Proverbs 31 women......
on June 2, 2004
I first read this revised edition, and then I went back and read an original unrevised version. Karen Andreola did a poor job in revising Mabel Hale's delightful book "Beautiful Girlhood." Frankly, I found her revision to have an unbiblical feminist flare to it that I wouldn't want to encourage in my (future) daughters. To everyone that I recommend "Beautiful Girlhood" to I always make a point to have them find an original edition, and avoid Karen Andreola's revised edition. It would have been better to have left well enough alone. =) Look for an unrevised editon--it will be a blessing and delight and well worth the read!
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 1999
My twelve year old is thoroughly enjoying our times together with this book. I recommend it to every Mother and daughter for special times together, building virtue, wisdom, and a sweet relationship. The chapters are short. The author wrote with all the beauty and charm she is calling the reader to. You will surely be blessed through this book.
on May 14, 2007
I bought this book for my 11 yr old daughter. I read it before I gave it to her and highly approve. I must add I am quite picky about what my children read. My daughter just loves the book and has read it many times. I have seen her refer to it when situations arise in daily life.

I would also recommend this book for teenagers who desire to live for the Lord, as well as for women who didn't receive Godly training before marriage and children.

What a wonderful resource this book is. If you are looking for truly Godly material for girls, this book is just wonderful. I only wish we could find more like this.