5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Picked This Up!
I've had thyroid disease for 15 years. I hate the eye rolls you get when you are fat feign ugly, and HAPPEN to mention you have thyroid disease. It's not an excuse, it's a cause of a lot of problems. We 're always seen as the "People of Walmart" not the stars of Baywatch.

Published 15 months ago by Bigdumptruck

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed
Published 13 months ago by Ehleighen

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Picked This Up!, October 8, 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Inside and Out: Conquering Thyroid Disease with a Healthy, Happy, "Thyroid Sexy" Life (Paperback)

Finding out someone like Gina, a gorgeous, shapely, and successful actress, is struggling with and overcoming the same things I am has been eye opening, and gives me a sliver of hope. I enjoyed looking at life with thyroid disease from the point of view of a Hollywood insider. Not all thyroid patients are created in the same mold. Cannot wait to put her hints and tips to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Job Gena!, October 8, 2013
My wife and I just read your book, and found it to be both informative and insightful to the many who suffer with thyroid illness. Hope to see you in NYC soon and thanks for that acknowledgement in the book. I am happy to promote thyroid sexy or anything else that you partake in that is anywhere near this profound. Baldwin family is proud of you GLN!
Best,
AB

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly written, October 8, 2013
Amazon Customer (Irvington, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Mary Shomon's new book is clear and concise...just like the in-person seminars I have attended. Her information is always a reminder of how we have to be pro-active, especially when we're talking about our health. Nice to see her working with Ms. Nolin to keep spreading the word.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, December 13, 2013
I have Hashimoto's and I found this book boring and I was not impressed. Almost half the book was about her life (yawn). There was nothing new here. Just doesn't compare to the 3 books that I think are GREAT on the subject of hypothyroidism: Stop the Thyroid Madness, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause by Izabella Wentz, and Why do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Kharrazian.

1.0 out of 5 stars A basic thyroid book and mostly about Gena Nolin, October 24, 2013
Mary Spencer (Oakland Park, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I was all excited to get this book. It is an easy read considering the medical information it is dealing with but halfway through the book I just really didn't like Gena Nolin personally. I am a thyroid cancer survivor and have been successfully dealing with thyroid issues for the past 13 years. I honestly learned nothing new from this book and find the author quite biased in some of her views and very shallow and limited when it comes to talking about some serious thyroid issues. Gena glosses over many serious subjects and there just isn't any depth to her knowledge. A truly caring thryoid patient advocate would not push her thyroid website available November 1st with a monthly charge of $4.99. In my opinion, Gena Nolin is all about Gena Nolin and my impressions of her while reading the book turned out to be based on fact when I see how she is handling her recent fame by capitalizing on it and making further victims out of thyroid patients who seek quality medical care and answers by charging them $4.99 for information that she is basically getting from other experts in the field, especially after a person makes the investment of buying her much-hyped book. Gena Nolin is an actress and is using her looks and medical history to make money. Thankfully there is a wealth of free information out there for new and existing thryoid patients who really do need answers. Borrow this book from the library or if you really want I will send you my copy. I am sorry I spent the money on this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother, October 31, 2013
Not really any diff than the other books. Wasted my money. Other than the bio part, I did not learn anything that is not free on the web already.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thyroid sufferers = goldmine for celebrity "advocate", October 24, 2013
Buy this book (which is rehashed information you can find from truly "comprehensive" thyroid books - or anywhere online). Next, go to the website and pay for "exclusive" information. Same story, different author.

It's unfortunate (if not brilliant) that GLN has capitalized on a population desperate for information and attention. I've watched this cultivate over the last year or so and must say that I am truly disappointed. GLN has struck gold at our expense. A true advocate would never shrug at a magazine cover claiming she's found a "cure" for this disease. A true advocate would not use her story and her fame as an opportunity to make money off the people she is "claiming" to help.

"Thyroid Sexy?" No thank you. I will get my information elsewhere from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars I SAID NO TO GENA FOR DELETING ME AND MY DAUGHTER FROM HER FB PAGE! SAD SHE PROFITS FROM THOSE THAT ARE ILL:(, December 1, 2013
I give this Book LESS than 1 Star. I was first excited but after 15 pages, My personal opinion was...Its All About Her. I have read Several of Mary Shomon's Books and that is a HUGE reason I decided to purchase this one. Mary Shomon will ALWAYS GET 5 STARS from me on all of her Books. As Co-Author to Gena, Sadly I must say it was so arrogant (about Gena) I could NOT get past 15pages. I was also a fan on her FB page and was DELTED NOT ONCE BUT TWICE!!!! TWICE I WAS DELTED FOR giving advice and Information to other Websites that may be helpful for other people that suffer from Hypo/Hyper or Hashimoto. And My 14 year OLD DAUGHTER was also deleted!!! We never used profanity, we were kind, helpful and asked WHY ARE YOU DELTETING PEOPLE??? And read others asking the same question!! I even offered Mary Shomon, Co-Author of Gena's Book AND THAT WAS DELTED!!! I would share website that were FREE and willing to give recipes, advice, Videos with Doctors. I was trying to help those that were not fortunate enough to pay for her Website. AND I WAS DELETED! I think it is so shameful and disgusting that someone would use her Hollywood Status to reel in women and men that are ill to make even a "little" profit" as they claim. I found other sites that offer FREE Info, Videos and Recipes and HIGHLY recommend ALL of these. Hypothyroid Mom, Dana Trentini. Thyroid Pharmacist, Dr. Izabella Wentz, Author of ROOT CAUSE. Thyroid, Brain, Celiac/Gluten Information and Support, Dr. Kirk Gair. Hashimoto's Healing, Marc Ryan. Suzy Cohen, Author and Syndicated Columnist. Mary Shomon, Author and Thyroid Advocate! 6 WONDERFUL AMAZING PEOPLE that are Highly educated and willing to give you Information and Support for FREE!!!! They have all played a huge part in my healing and road to recovery. Even AFTER Gena Nolin made me take 5 steps BACK.... For deleting me and my daughter. I GIVE GENA -10STARS! IF, IF...She were advocating and helping others she would make it about ALL OF US. Sad she is manipulating so many people that suffer and not willing to even share other information that is so readily available that has NO FEES. SAD:(

2.0 out of 5 stars eh, January 21, 2014
This book was nothing of what I expected. Everything I read in this book, I have read on facebook, google or Mary Shomon's websties. There was a little about Gena's story. I expected real candid pictures like they made it seem they were going to show, when she was "quote" overweight from the disease. Every image in the book she looked pristine like a movie star. Of course it's nice to know that "celebrities" are starting to speak out about the illness, but that seems to be happening more. Also, you would have to make her salary to pay for all the blood tests and supplements they recommend. Which I certainly don't! Most of us don't! So if you've learned absolutely nothing about thryoid disease, this book is ok. If you have done research and read other information... it's just, eh. I was really expecting a lot more out of this book, I was somewhat disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised...pretty much Gena Lee Nolin's biography, October 29, 2013
I read the book and it reads like an advertisement for Nature Thyroid. I then found out that Gena is getting paid by Nature Throid to promote their product. She conveniently left this out of the book.

I always found Mary Shomon's books to be really well written and thought that she was a true patient advocate. How does a true patient advocate partner up with someone that is being biased by a paid relationship? It's a shame that this isn't being regulated in someway. I would think that Gena would be upfront about this on her Facebook page.

Nonetheless, 1/2 the book is Gena's story, a 1/4 of the book on fake beauty tips to cover up your symptoms, and the other 1/4 information that I've found in all of the other thyroid books Mary has written.

Unless you're looking for a biography, then this book is of a little help.

$16.00 $12.71