5.0 out of 5 stars A Change Of Pace, But Still A Great Sound.
Published on September 17, 2005 by A. Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Music With Unreasonable Copy Protection
Published on September 21, 2005 by Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A Change Of Pace, But Still A Great Sound., September 17, 2005
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
30 Seconds To Mars burst onto the scene back in 2002 with their self-titled album. Despite being fronted by Jared Leto (the actor who has appeared in two of my favorite films: "Fight Club" and "Requiem For A Dream"), the effort didn't receive that much attention, and listening to it, it's easy to see why. Don't get me wrong, their debut was great, but for a band establishing themselves, it was too broad, too spacey, and too high concept for people to really give it a fair chance. So it's no surprise that for their second album, "A Beautiful Lie," 30 Seconds To Mars have trimmed the fat off and streamlined their music quite a bit.

"A Beautiful Lie" is more of a collection of songs that a concept album. There is no discernable theme running through it, which means each song brings something different to the table, and has it's own identity. And not only that, each song is just as good as the one before it! Instead of sounding like an electronic-Tool like they did on their debut, 30 Seconds To Mars sound like a perfect amalgumation of A Perfect Circle, The Cure and Incubus. "The Kill" and the first single, "Attack" are the most recognizable and straight-forward of the set, centered around giant choruses and excellent songwriting. "The Fantasy" is my personal favorite, with it's funky intro and unpredictable changes in style. "Battle Of One" and "Hunter," which are tagged as "bonus tracks" (though they are hardly exclusive, and available on all copies of this album) are great in their own right, but feel tacked on. Perhaps that's why they are called "bonus tracks?"

Overall, "A Beautiful Lie" is a step-up for 30 Seconds To Mars. The debut was a good start, but this album just strengthens the groups catalog and shows that they have a lot more diversity than many of their contemporaries. And the best part is, their music has nothing to do with Jared Leto's acting career. You don't even have to know who the guy is in order to know that this is great music. If you enjoyed the first album, I highly recommend their second. When they first came out, I honestly doubted they would release anymore music, but I was wrong. So, here's looking forward to the third effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Content Protection, December 31, 2005
A. Hames (Reno, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
This is a great CD, great Band. BUT, the content protection that is a part of it won't let you copy the music to your hard drive or put it on an iPod. This may not matter to you, so don't bother reading on. However, if this does matter to you then don't buy the CD. The fact that I cannot put the music that I purchased onto my iPod is extremely annoying. I do not appreciate this feature in any way. So, five stars to the band, no stars to this CD. From now on, if I see "Content Protected" I'm gonna steer clear. I feel stupid having wasted money on one of these, but oh well, live and learn. If you care about this, learn from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rock CD, Unique sound, August 3, 2006
Tom (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
Some people classify 30STM as a space metal or space rock band. At least people recongnize that their sound is different than mainstream modern rock. Leto gets a bad rap being an actor/musician (see Russel Crowe), but he pulls both off very well. I went to a recent 30STM concert and they sound awesome in concert and pretty close to how they sound on the CD, but you really appreciate how good Leto's brother is as a drummer in concert.

As for the CD, I can't count the number of times I have listened to it and everytime I enjoy it. The radio songs: The Kill, Attack are very good and are very catchy in a good way...not a teeny-bopper way. I would rate the best songs on the CD as The Kill, Yesterday, The Fantasy. The bonus tracks are ok, but seemed kinda just thrown on there without linkage to the mood of the other ones. I will definitely be buying their next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Seconds to Mars is the best band ever!, February 3, 2007
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
I recently bought the CD "A Beautiful Lie", and it's the best CD I've ever heard in my life- I can't stop listening to it! Every song is wonderful! It's so amazing that this band, especially Jared Leto is so talented. I knew him as a terrific actor in "Panic Room", "My So Called Life", etc., and had no idea he was such a fantastic singer and song writer. I have been a music lover my whole life and love all kinds of music, but this is the most amazing work I've ever heard! I wish I could give it a million stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius incorporation of new and old... a truly beautiful lie..., March 24, 2006
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
When 30 Seconds to Mars first came out, i was quick to buy their cd. Im a HUGE music buff, and it seemed like it would be cool (and of course it was on the $9.95 rack at the PX, so those are the best for a new soldier who loves music and doesnt have much $$$). So i bought it and was quite impressed. However, at the time i wasnt into this type. Now that im older and more open minded, i bought the new album, "A Beautiful Lie". I was blown away. Truly a masterpiece! I can feel pieces of many bands in their songs (IE David Bowie, U2, Skillet, Staind, Tool,Nirvana).

1: Attack - I LOVE the intro, its just great to say the least. And i love songs that kick in like "Attack" does. I dont think they could have made a better album starter song. I myself and in a screamo/metal band, so I can ALWAYS appreciate a good scream too! The lyrics are great, and im giving it a 4.5/5

2: A Beautiful Lie - Probably my FAVORITE song off of this cd. It's got a great little bass part, and i always appreciate a good song that uses little soloesque things with each instrument. And even though the guitars are very basic, the song is just so "beautiful". I caught a little Filter and Skillet in this one! This whole song came together so great that it gets a 5/5!

3: The Kill - Nice fade-in begining. I love the guitars and the lyrics. This is not one of my favorite songs, but it, much like the others, is still great! 3/5

4: Was it a Dream - Once again, awesome intro, the drums and rain are great, then the guitars come in (reminds me of Staind or Nirvana!). Im REALLY feeling some U2 from the singer, i get alot of that in this CD. Its strange too because i hate U2! But i LOVE this song. It's probably the softest song, but it all comes together perfect. 5/5

5: The Fantasy - Haha, the bass is AWESOME! when the guitars come in, they remind me of something i bet they dont to most, 36 Crazyfists. The singer is giving me a MAD David Bowie vibe, and i LOVE Bowie! then some "yeah, yeah!" Manson style, and some total overall Mad at Gravity (sorry, i know too many bands and i can always reference every band to another!). I love how he treats this song, like hes not even singing, just telling you whats up! Another one of my favs off of this cd! 5/5!!!\

6: Savior - This is another big U2 type song. I like the almost offbeat drums, its quite lovely! :D I can really feel the desperation in the lyrics, tragic, but wonderful. 3.5/5

7: From Yesterday - Im a sucker for pianos or keys in songs, first off! I am actually stuck on this one, i cant remember who they remind me of, but i know i love it! the chorus is extremely powerful and emotional. and GOD i just cant get over the piano! :D 5/5

8: The Story - Thank God for Nirvana-ish guitar intros! Great, great, great! I don't really like the begining lyrics, but thats up to you to decide for you! This song is really slow-down-and-think-about-what-youre-doing. It's a good song to just sit and have a smoke to, or just a good song to listen to while in deep thought! And of course, if you listen hard enough you can hear something along the lines of a Xylophone in the background! :D 5/5

9: R-Evolve - Nice guitar intro, vocals come in wonderfully clean and soft. I feel a little Cobain in his voice. This song is another of the more emotional off of this CD, its fantastic. I love the use of the Toms, most of the time it seems like drummers dont use theirs! :( 4/5

10: A Modern Myth - Seriously, what cd is good without an acoustic song?! This is a great acoustic song to boot! Very basic and plain, but affective. And the violins are magnificent, i love it! :D 5/5

11: Battle of One - I can hear ALOT of older Filter in this song! I LOVE the harder beat and faster attack on the song. The chorus is magnificent, as are the lyrics! Another of my favorites off of this cd! It has everything, a Tool breakdown towards the end, Synth work, fast beat, screaming... the dream of a metal head! :D 5/5

12: Hunter - Crazy sounds, good bass line in the back of the techno beat. Some David Bowie feeling again. The singer gives a really calm, but totally in your face feeling to the song. The lyrics are a little strange, but the song is still great! 4/5

Quick fix for the "wont play on my computer" guy. Open up my computer, and open the CD Drive. Once inside, open up the file "PlayCDS", and it will bring up the Autoplay file.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop listening to this CD, November 9, 2006
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
I saw a video clip of "The Kill" on TV and had to know more about this band and their music. After hearing the title song "A Beautiful Lie", I liken Jared Leto's voice to the male equivalent of a siren inviting unsuspecting mariners to dash themselves on the rocks. The versatility of his vocal range and musical expression is a skill I rarely find in most metal artists. 30 seconds music is edgy, haunting, melodic and passionate- and that's just in track 1. If you're into ear-pounding guitar riffs, tribal drums and screaming, you'd probably want to steer clear of this album. But if you like electronically- influenced music (even New Age music) and don't mind Metal, you'd appreciate this CD. I look forward to hearing more from 30 seconds; and hopefully they won't change their sound in their next project (unlike some bands who think success gives them carte blanche to do whatever and think their fans will still buy into it...<cough> Evanescence)

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Metal with a dash of reality, September 6, 2005
OK. First the venting.
I just hate having to listen to or be associated with inexperienced listeners when they think they know what they're talking about. I hear a lot of comparisons to The Used and even Nickelback, and Breaking Benjamin. The worst part is that these off base comparisons go one step further and accuse 30 seconds of TRYING to be like them.

If you have been listening to music for years and actually paying attention, you'd realize that 30 seconds can be said to sound influenced by MANY bands of the 80s and some 90s (the Cure, U2, depeche mode, deftones, orgy, incubus, bjork etc). But to skip that step and think that a 30 something like Leto would be trying to copy The Used is so uninsightful it should be stricken from memory.

ON to the album.....OK while still venting.
People's first reactions to new discs are often extreme regarding bands they like. Its so painfully obvious here. Its just not true that 30 seconds lost their sound. I admit that there is probably less of what stuck out as a futuristic sound. The album is probably farther down the scale from avante garde to mainstream. But there is so much in common with the last album.

I actually had a song in my head today and had to ask myself which album it was off of. (this is partly because it seemed too familiar to be coming from a week old disc, and partly because THE DISCS HAVE A LOT IN COMMON).

So take comfort in the fact that you have a very good disc from the same band (what have you done in the last 3 years lazies - myself included). And if they write enough material, you might get everything you're looking for over time. But in the meantime we have to remember that we got lucky that the first album sounded just right to us....and this one is closer to that particular sound than anything else out there. In fact many people will like this one more...they just didn't buy the album the first week because they weren't fans yet.

My friends and I actually managed to harass Leto after a show about 3 years ago, and asked him where they could go on future albums considering they had such a strong and unusual theme. He didn't have an extravagant answer, but just said not to take the Mars thing too literally, that its more of a symbol of reaching out.

So it only makes sense that the lyrical and sonic direction of future discs is going to go much more into the realm of the reality we know and only occasionally go head first into the "space metal" thing.

I think the Mars thing is an appealing escape, but who can make their entire music career (every song, every album cover, every lyric) relate to such an abstract idea. There has to be room for real world subject matter and a real world feel to come in also.

But yea....hopefully plenty more creative and unusual space metal to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD, August 9, 2006
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
Great CD!!! I thought it being from Jared Leto, and actor, that this would not be good. I was wrong. The song's are all different, there is a lot of talent and creativity put into not only the music, but the lyrics as well. The mood changes throughout the music, and it's great that there isn't screaming in the songs. Great melodies, and Leto's voice is extrememly smooth with the changes.

Great purchase, only thing is that the songs are coded and you can't copy them easily. You only get 3 tried to upload a program and transfer the files. I've tried it twice already, and had no luck with the transfer. After 3 tries, you have to buy another CD if you want to try another transfer. Wish I could put this on my computer or PDA, but I need to get some help before I try it again. May have to see if I can download songs off the internet instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars cover björk's hunter? who dares?, August 7, 2006
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
i would have never gotten familiar with 30s2m if they didn't cover björk's fascinating-horrifying song HUNTER. being a huge admirer of Björk's Homogenic-Vespertine-Medúlla era i was quite shocked because i believe that it's almost a blasphemy to do anything with her songs, as they are perfect and impossible to be outdone, and she is the most talented musician ever and does anything better than anyone else anyway. the other shocking information was when i got to know that this band is actually fronted by actor Jared Leto, best known as Harry Goldfarb from Requiem 4 a dream, Angel Face from Fincher's fantastic Fight Club or Jr. from Fincher's disappointing Panic Room. i really loved that guy in these movies, his funny caracter was the only reason i eventually enjoyed Panic Room for example, so i went "god! what's he doin'? is he gonna be the male Jennifer Lopez?" now, i am glad to admit that my doubts and fears about both the Björk cover and his music-talent proved to be wrong.

i downloaded the untitled debut album and Beautiful lie as well, and i wanted to see where they improve (if) so i listened to the debut first. it was not an overwhelming experience, i will have to admit, it was not bad, but it was far from being called good, it was just decent. there are numerous factors that make their debut easy to be forgotten. they intended to make an experimental heavily concept-oriented album, with a unique sound. i appreciate this intention, however, that is very hard to do, when you want to do something that is meant to be one of a kind, you have to improve your material to perfection. hence Björk's 3 albums mentioned above. the 2 Letos and their then-bandmates didn't manage to do this. they spent all their energies to create their image, which was not very original to begin with. less effort were taken about the music itself. Jared Leto's voice wasn't good enough, either, it was obvious that he had the talent, but also that he didn't use his abilities fully. i missed the real melodies, the real tone instead of screaming, the structures, verses and refrains, and some good memorable vocal lines. all these problems resulted in a shallow and immature debut CD which was very mediocrate IMHO.

guess 30s2m was aware of these matters as well, as 3 yrs later they come out with something different, something much better. all that made debut LP not so good were left behind, and all that was missing now was there. i was really satisfied with that stuff (i bought it immediately in original, of course), i actually listened to it over and over again for weeks which is very unusual when it comes to me, last time it was placebo's sleeping with ghosts that manage to catch that much. why do i love it so much? first of all they dropped their psuedo-experimental style and started something much friendlier, mature and melodic. (for recent reviewers: just because something is radio-capable it doesn't mean that it is a junk, and vica versa non-radio music is not necesserily high-quality) Jared's voice got incredibly better, i almost couldn't believe i am listening to the same guy, he is very emotional, still he screams too much unfortunately and sometimes he sounds he is a little too breathy, but he got real great moments almost in every song. the music is very exciting and enjoyable i really can't say anything wrong about it. however, i also admit that almost every song are remiscent to some other artists, but now i don't mean rock bands of nowadays, but great 90s bands which are not a shame to be inspired by. althogh it's not my style i must write something about each song...

ATTACK is a pretty standard anthemic modern rock song, it's an obvious choice to be the lead single. he shouldn't scream that much
title track A BEAUTIFUL LIE is the first "i've heard it somewhere before" experience. this time it's remiscent to Placebo's title track of Sleeping with Ghosts (if you heard the live up-beated version of that song titled Soulmates you know what i mean), with its quiet piano-sample and bluesy-atmospheric sound. however nothing will ever sound as good as placebo. i like it though
second single THE KILL is somehow my least favourite track on the CD again mostly because the annoying screaming in the refrains, but the verses and the outro is good
WAS IT A DREAM? is the first "i love this song" on the CD, and yes, it's very very very Cure-like, i mean it's completely Cure. even the raindrops are stolen from Cure's 1989 tearjerker The same deep water as you. now, i have been a fan of Cure's ever since their album Disintegration, but after their album Bloodflowers i just lost interest in their music, and robert smith's voice begun to annoy me, so i am happy with this borrowing, as it's cool to hear that early 90s Cure-sound again. Leto doesn't scream this time, and watch out... the song is perfect. i love it
THE FANTASY is... simply great, in this song even the screaming is in place the middle of the song is very well-structured it's surprising, i relly enjoy this one
SAVIOUR is a masterpiece again, it's probably my favourite pick, the vocals are well-built and beautiful-sung, the refrain is out of this world, and the sond has a chilling-cold industrial-electronic sound which i am very keen on
FROM YESTERDAY sets off very U2-like, U2 was also one of my love affairs in the 90s, but similar to Cure they lost me after All that you can't leave behind. again the melody keeps resonating in your ears, the refrain makes you wanna fly, it's great again
now come the ballads, STORY is again very Cure-sounding, Leto doesn't scream, so it's beautiful, depressing, i love it
in the verses of R-EVOLVE Jared sound much like daniel jones of silverchair (used to love them as well), no screaming, great song, kind of an ars poetica
MODERN MYTH is my other favourite track, Leto's vocals, the way she sings "the secret is out" and says "goodbye" for like 20 times in the end, it's a real tearjerker, it's beautiful, after like 10 minutes of silence you will hear a 1 min long hidden track that is nothing special.
there are 2 bonus tracks also included, BATTLE OF ONE is a simple and powerful one and the other one is that cover........

now, i am really surprised to say that i am absolutely satisfied with their treatment of such a perfect but fragile song. this one is actually very similar to the original they kept the powerful beats and thrilling strings of the original, an the other hand they dared to rewrite some lines like replacing "scandinavian" with "american" or "this is soon", it works well, and that's a big deal, because a biased Björk-fan says this. but please! why always writing bjork instead of björk, it' a shame. it's BJÖRK (ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ)

now i have to finish this review as it is already damned too long, the conclusion is that the second installment of 30s2m is way better than their debut

god bless everyone

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Music With Unreasonable Copy Protection, September 21, 2005
This review is from: A Beautiful Lie (Audio CD)
First off, this is good music. I give it three stars simply because of the copy protection encrypted within the cds "enhanced" material. The music itself, I give a 4, but since I am unable to find a way to import the music files to Itunes, It gets a three. Restricted burning is unbelievable. When you buy a cd, I'm told you buy the rights of the cd for personal use. Thus putting myself under the assumption that I will be able to do what I please with the music, as long as I do not distribute it illegally. In the future, I will not buy another cd with this type of copy protection within, reguardless of importance the music is to myself. A sticker on the packaging would be nice, allerting the consumer of the new system. I, at least, have never come into contact with the protection; I buy about 10 cd's a month. If I am going to start having to research lables, and/or cds to see if they carry the encryption, so be it.

Does anyone know where the "secret files" are uploaded to when you put the cd in so I can delete them? Please post.

A Beautiful Lie
A Beautiful Lie by Thirty Seconds To Mars (Audio CD - 2005)