1,051 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, imaginative and rewarding finale
Published 20 months ago by Emily J. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series; last book a bit subpar
Since this is the last book in the series, I want to offer my review both of the last book itself, Beautiful Redemption, and a review of the series as a whole:

Published 20 months ago by KVB99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, imaginative and rewarding finale, October 27, 2012
I have been a "Beautiful Creatures" fan since the beginning, and I'm happy to say this is a series that remains strong from beginning to end. This finale did have me worried--with Lena's story more or less over, what was left to tell? But the aftermath of the death of Ethan Wate was perfect fodder for a strong and entertaining ending that was plot enough to stand on its own while still wrapping up the Caster Chronicles.

The jumped-off-a-water-tower Ethan finds himself in the Otherworld, a charming world of the dead that resembles Gatlin. Here, the writing duo makes a ghostly realm that is thoughtful and fun in its rules. However, when Ethan learns he was truly not meant to have died, he digs deeper into the supernatural realm to find a way out. This synopsis, I'm afraid, only scratches the surface of a truly delightful novel that not only aims to bring back Ethan but to tie up all other loose ends of the series.

The fantasy is creative, Southern and gothic--a winning combination splashed with a bit of teen culture and wondrous characters. The writing, which I have always liked, has hit its stride, and the characters know themselves. Garcia and Stohl are comfortable in both the normal and supernatural worlds of Gatlin and it shows.

My husband accused me of reading this in one sitting (not quite true), but it really was one of those novels I had trouble putting down. This is a gorgeously told story and a most satisfying conclusion to what has been a stellar series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad that it is over, October 27, 2012
I for one will be sad to bid goodbye to the Caster world of Light and Dark and all the characters that have entertained me throughout this series. Told from both Ethan and Lena's POV, this book details Ethan's journey through the Otherworld. A quest he chooses to undergo to find the Far Keep in order to return back home to Gatlin and to Lena. An interesting take on death and the belief that dying is not the end but another journey into the unknown and I liked the idea of the homes being in the graveyard instead of the headstones though it is a little macabre. Ethan will risk his soul and finds allies in the unlikeliest of places and his love for Lena spurs him on. Lena in turn never gives up on Ethan and through her family and friends will achieve the impossible and find the Book of Moons. Ethan has been such a likeable character, someone who you would be proud to call your friend and a boyfriend whose loyalty and devotion is inspiring. Lena has had her moments and sometimes she was incredibly frustrating and a bit whiny at times though she came through for Ethan when it counted. At the end of this book, I came away with having read a wonderful love story of how that love is eternal and that by being loved we are also redeemed even those who feel they don't deserve it, even Ridley our resident bad girl finds love in the end. I am now looking forward to watching the movie of Beautiful Creatures when it opens in 2013.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series; last book a bit subpar, November 12, 2012
KVB99 (Rockville, MD) - See all my reviews

Series: I give the entire series 4.5 stars. I truly enjoyed the characters and the storyline. It was fresh, original and utterly engaging. I also was impressed with the fact that this series did what few manage. It mostly got better with each book (we'll talk about book 4 below). As much as I liked book 1, I didn't think the story line could be sustained, but wow was I wrong with book 2, and then book 3 -- the best in the series in my view. They took me on such a roller coaster of emotions that by the time the end credits rolled on book 3, I was out of breath and my pulse pounding. But there were a few stumbles here and there, fortunately none that big, and they were few and far between. Probably the biggest reason why I'm only at 4.5 stars -- still a pretty strong endorsement -- is the occasional times when events/plot lines seemed implausible or not adequately explained. Without going into chapter and verse, one broad example is that Lena is sometimes portrayed as the uber caster of all times, and then at other times she's just a helpless damsel in distress. But, as I said, this is only a minor demerit.

Book 4: Well, if you have read books 1 -3, you, of course, absolutely must read book 4. That goes without saying, so good was book 3. So, you're not reading this review to help with that decision. It's already been made. So, what can you expect? Well, book 4 is decidedly a step below books 1-3. With this book, everyone knows exactly how the book is going to end (come on, was there any real doubt?). That was not the case with books 1-3, so we can forgive the impossible task the authors had in living up to the pell mell, where-the-heck-is-this-read-taking-me, atmosphere of books 1-3. But, book 4 does provide a satisfactory resolution to the series that all fans of the series will enjoy reading. My biggest fear when I started reading was that the book will end abruptly after the big climax and resolution, and I was pleased that the authors knew they had to add on some epilogue chapters wrapping up some loose ends. My only complaint with the epilogue chapters is that they were too low key. I got the feeling the authors kind of ran out of gas. Yes, all the main characters are ushered out for a curtain call, so we do get a last look at them. But I expected, wanted, more about Ethan-Lena than I got. I just invested like 2000 pages in them and I thought the final send off could have been stronger. But, then again, isn't that the sign of a good series -- leave them begging for more. In the end, I will miss the characters and the story. It is with a mixture of regret and appreciation that I say goodbye to the Caster Chronicles.

2.0 out of 5 stars So far apart from what I loved about the series, April 21, 2013
Reading this book was like picking daisies in right field when the rest of the series is played out down the left field line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it, March 22, 2013
Well this is the fourth book in this series and after the cliff hanger of book three I was skeptical about just how they were going to pull such a seemingly misplaced twist. They didn't. The books (all four of them) could have been 200 pages shorter and the series as a whole could have been in my opinion, one book shorter. I struggled to get through the third book with its earth quake and crazy storms and the truth is I couldn't finish this one, at least I haven't finished it yet. I hate to give up on books but this one just lost its appeal. I don't believe I will recommend it. The first two book were good though. :( I had such high hopes for this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent finale, November 9, 2012
Good adventure story for Ethan, but was a little disappointed with Lena's storyline and the lack of a joint story line/ epilogue. Also no closure with results of Ethan's actions on the Far Keep. Felt unfinished but what was written was engaging and consistent with other adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying Conclusion To A Great Series!, January 1, 2013
"Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?"
Beautiful Redemption was a shocking but beautiful conclusion to The Caster Chronicles. I definitely enjoyed it but not as much as the other books in the series. For those who don't know, The Caster Chronicles is a 4 book series that started with Beautiful Creatures and it is a love story unlike any other. If you haven't read any of the past 3 books in the series or plan on reading the series, stop now because there will be SPOILERS.

Unlike most series, The Caster Chronicles is told mostly from the point of view of a teenage male. Ethan Wate is definitely one of my favorite male protagonists from a YA novels because he is realistic. Ethan isn't some sparkling vampire who saves his girlfriend from werewolves or he isn't fighting some fight to the death. Ethan is just a some-what average teen who just wants to lead a normal life. One day he meets Lena, a caster who changes his life for better (or worse).

Beautiful Redemption ended exactly where Beautiful Chaos left off with Ethan Wate dead after his heroic suicide off the Gatlin Water Tower. Ethan is dead in some sort of weird afterlife for people who still have unfinished business with the living. The whole execution of the afterlife was very original and brilliantly done. Ethan is trying to cope with Lena's absence while trying to find a way to get back to his love.

Beautiful Redemption, like all of the other novels in the Caster Chronicles are ridiculously long. I don't mind the length but more so the pacing. Beautiful Redemption starts off with a bang but from there it went a bit downhill. There was way too much moping Ethan Wate and not enough of the take action Ethan I find awesome. Once Ethan starts his quest at a second chance at life, the pacing really went alot faster. Ethan's quest was action-packed and gripping.

Another segment of Beautiful Redemption is Lena's point of view which sounded almost exactly like Ethan's point of view. I didn't really mind because it was definitely entertaining and interesting. I guess since Ethan and Lena spend so much time together, their voices sound very similar. Lena is trying to help Ethan with his quest from the real Gatlin but I did prefer reading Ethan's segment of the book.

As usual I love the second characters in the Caster Chronicles because they really complete the series. Linkubus was his usual hilarious self and he is still trying to cure himself of Ridley-fever. Ridley is supposed to be a dark and evil character but I can't help but like her. Ridley is really a lollipop craving teddy-bear inside, I just know it. Liv and John Breed are not my favorite couple because honestly they have some pretty tough competition (Ethan + Lena, Link + Ridley).

Gatlin, sweet ol' Gatlin! You may just seem like a Southern town but you're nothing short of extraordinary. The Caster Chronicles is one of those series where the setting isn't just a setting. Gatlin feels like home to me even though I have never lived in the South. Gatlin is an unique setting that is unparalleled in any novel. It may not be a dystopian society but I don't care! Gatlin may not exist in reality but it does exist in fans' hearts.

The conclusion to The Caster Chronicles isn't perfect but it's still pretty darn good. The writing adds a Gothic flair that adds a strange and mythical feel that really engrosses the reader. Beautiful Redemption started off slow but by the time it reaches it's final sentence, fans will be in tears. Beautiful Redemption was nothing short of addicting and I have high hopes for both Garcia and Stohl's upcoming books. I am so pumped for the Beautiful Creatures movie, I can't wait to be astounded.

3.5 Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series-not so great finale, October 27, 2012
I loved the previous book in this series, Beautiful Chaos, and I couldn't wait for the final book to be released. So, although I hate to say it, this book was a big disappointment. I think one of the elements of the series that was so powerful was the setting of Gaitlin. It wasn't the typically setting for a book about witches (or "casters") and the homeyness of this southern town and its inhabitants made this fantasy world believable. This book mainly takes place in the "other world" and it switches from the points of view of Lena and Ethan. I felt like it was a rehashed vision of Dante's Inferno and that the originality of the series was lost. Even the ending was just ho-hum, whereas the ending of the previous book left me crying. I lost the connection with the characters with this final installment and I almost wish they would have just let the series end with Beautiful Chaos. As usual the writing style, grammar, editing, etc was very good but it couldn't make up for the lackluster plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Redeemable, February 3, 2014
This is the finale to the Beautiful Creatures series, a series I'm glad is over. It never really lived up to the promise of the first book, although I would say this one was probably the second best in the series. I really feel as if the authors could have skipped books two and three and made this one next.

The cliffhanger from the last book has Ethan jumping off the town's water tower. But, since there's a new book, there must be more to the story. And, there is. Ethan discovers that, contrary to what he thought when he flung himself off the tower, he wasn't really supposed to have died, and he restores the balance of the worlds. Again.

I will say I did not see the final twist coming--which was pretty cool. There were a lot of surprises and twists I just didn't expect. I liked the plot of the story much better than the characters. I would love to read a series about John and the young librarian. I started liking these two and Link and Ripley so much more than Ethan and Lena, who are just so depressing and whiny. I just felt like the characters didn't change at all and I never really understood why the two main characters loved one another. "Just because" is too immature a reason for long-lasting love, but that seemed to be the case. I also find it interesting that the whole story was told from a male perspective, Ethan, but the book is so obviously a book for females. If you love paranormal romance, you'll probably like these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but left me a little dissatisfied..., January 9, 2014
Overall I thought the series was really good. I'm not a 'young adult' fan. I generally don't read them. I was interested in the books after seeing the movie, which I quite liked. I thought the 1st and 2nd books was 5 stars and the last 2 only 4. My issues with this last book were a couple things: ***(HINT OF SPOILERS)***
1. I was completly fine with one of the main characters dying..for good. Frankly I saw that coming for a long time. I just didn't think the authors created a good enough reason. It seems like it happened just because the authors wanted to leave the readers with one tragedy or sacrifice. It didn't make sense.
2. I wanted Ridley to be resolved. Her character was shaped and modeled through the whole books. I love Ridley. But, her character just fell flat in the 4th book. It was lke the authors couldn't figure out what to do with her....so they did nothing. Through the whole series we're told that you can't be a dark caster and still be good. You have no choice - you're evil if you're a dark caster. But Ridley isn't? If she could be dark and still be 'good' then what was the whole issue with Lena possibly turning dark in the first place? Also - Link won't have anything to do with her when she first pops up and then suddenly at the end of the book they're together again. What happened there?
3. My biggest issue was the portrayal of the after life. How DEPRESSING!!! I know its just a book and based on mythology...but still. Geez. Especially with the portrayal of the afterlife, why wasn't Ethan more hysterically upset over 'the other main character's death'? So - you hang out in your fake house at the cemetary for eternity or you go to the underworld full of misery? Nice. If it was me, I'd be even more upset about my mother's passing, knowing that she was just hanging out in her house making fried green tomatoes....forever. This just really gnawed at me. It just left me a little 'not thrilled' with the whole thing.

But - the writing was great. It was so nice to see a young adult book that was well written. Doesn't happen often - and usually why I don't read them. Also - I love that the series focused on the Caster world most of the time instead of 'teenage agnst'...which is again why I don't read young adult books often. There was some 'oh Lena' and 'oh Ethan' through it, but overall it didn't make me gag and let me still enjoy the creative and interesting world the authors created.

Beautiful Redemption (Beautiful Creatures)
Beautiful Redemption (Beautiful Creatures) by Kami Garcia (Paperback - October 25, 2012)
Used & New from: $5.98