5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast
Prince Alexander used to constantly poke fun at people until he made fun of an older woman, who just happened to be a witch. She cursed him to transform into a wolf every night. He would have a year to find someone to love him as a beast or he'd be stuck like that forever.

Published on July 12, 2012 by Amy @ Books, College, and Othe...

2.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Classic Poorly Executed
Published 21 months ago by FunK

2.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Classic Poorly Executed, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection) (Kindle Edition)
I was so excited to read this book because Beauty and the Beast is my absolute favorite story of all time. I was disappointed throughout the entire reading process and it did not leave me wanting more like other renditions I've read. There were very minor grammar problems, which I could've dealt with because the book was cheap. But the writing was just sad. There wasn't much depth, the random kissing scenes destroyed the Belle's image. Despite the plot and famous lesson of the story, Cecilia was pretty shallow as the main character. The fairytale was suppose to be about how she fell in love with a beast after getting to know him for a while. The very foundation of their relationship was built on that. But here she barely met with him and decidedly loved him unconditionally. And is there a chapter where giggling WASN'T described as one of her actions??? She got really annoying. It was like a book written for preteens. The only reason why it's 2 stars instead of one is because it's a Beauty and the Beast story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast, July 12, 2012

Cecelia Hammerstein-Smythe has been talking to Lord Willington and believes he is going to propose to her when he takes her on an open carriage ride. Lord Willington has other news...he's proposed to someone else. Cecelia's distraught. Her mother has been telling all of the village of his intentions to marry her daughter.

All of the friends Cecelia thought she knew only talks to her to find out so they can gossip. As a wolf, Alexander sees Cecelia at a brook crying. After Cecelia knocks him in the head, Cecelia eventually warms up to the wolf, having no idea that it's really Alexander.
Whenever Alexander tries to talk to her in human form, she wants nothing to do with him because of his constantly demeaning her...but not so much anymore. Can Alexander convince Cecelia that he deserves a second chance?

I've always loved Beauty and the Beast as a child. For a while I thought about getting an e-book by Jenni James, but I hadn't yet. Once I saw this story, I just knew I had to give it a try, and this certainly did not disappoint.

I felt so bad for Cecelia. First, the guy you love proposing to someone else, then your so-called friends are just trying to find any information so they can gossip. I did feel too bad for Alexander at first, but it was funny how Cecelia tried to avoid him and quit conversing with him as a human.

I liked Alexander's journey onto becoming a better person, and Cecelia's finding a true friend. This is for anyone who loves retellings of fairy tales who don't mind reading at the middle grade and lower end of the age range of young adult books.

I can't wait to read the rest of the books in Jenni's Faerie Tale Collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favorite books, November 3, 2012
I am an avid reader who has read thousands of books. I am a big fan of fairy tales and fantasy works. This book is one of my favorites. I have read it many times and cannot wait to read others like it. If you love Gail Carson Levine, then this is a good read for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, December 24, 2012
This is one of the better re-tellings of Beauty and the Beast. No real point in going into the plot because anyone who doesn't live on Atlantis knows how this story goes (and who knows, maybe they have Amazon in Atlantis).

What is most fun about this book is the dialogue between Alexander / Apollo and Cecilia. It's very English, almost like bantering. She's a smart girl who vacillates between being snarky and being highly intuitive and intelligent (OK, she's both all the time). Alexander learns his lesson pretty quickly about why his previous actions have been so hurtful to others, especially Cecilia. What I really enjoyed was how he understood this, and tried - as both a wolf and a man - to make amends to her. They are actually two of the most appealing B and the B's I've read. Naturally, it all works out perfectly fine at the end and everyone lives happily ever after (don't read this if you live in Atlantis). Except those who don't (but they deserve it).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Escape, September 21, 2012
Jenni James takes this well loved faerie tale and gives it a paranormal twist. Very well written and hard to put down, even on my cruise vacation where I had plenty to do. Looking forward to others in Jenni's Faerie Tale series. A great escape!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Beauty and the Beast is a MUST read!, January 7, 2013
I have loved this fairy tale since I was a small child...and this is my favorite version. The story is engaging, sweet, and something you can not put down once you read the first sentence. Buy this book for all the women, young and old in your life. I read this on Kindle and will be going out to buy a hard copy. This is a wonderful revamp and a wonderful author. Thank you Ms. James, next to Jane Austen you are my favorite author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book in one night!, December 25, 2012
Nic1785 "Nic" (OP, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I have read many Beauty and the Beast adaptations and this was one of the bests. This story had great character development and lots of twists and turns. Never a dull moment; I definitely recommend this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Take on an Old Tale, April 29, 2014
Love Jenni James and her fun stories! It isn't easy to find new ways to tell old tales, but Jenni James does it with flare!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 1, 2014
This is a wonderful take on a classic story! You will love how it turned out! This is worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite!, January 23, 2014
Loved this book! One of my favorites of Jenni James. Sweet, romantic, never slow and always exciting! Couldn't put it down!

Rate and Discover Movies