Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Bring a little greenery into your home Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on November 18, 2002
Beauty, personality, kin, children, learning beings--what a picture of these brown bears we are given, by Dr. Stringham. The previous reviewer (blessed282) has describe the beautiful attributes of this book well. I can only add: It is wonderful. I can't wait for his next one!
on November 18, 2002
Few of us will ever have the opportunities that Dr. Stringham has had, to live intimately with wild animals on a daily baisis and observe them close at hand. Dr. Stringham has written an enchanting and engaging accout of raising three wild bear cubs in the Alaskan wilderness. Bears have been revealed as intelligent and adaptive creatures who occupy a unique niche in the American wilderness, comparable to the niche primates occupy in Africa. This book is exciting, highly readable and hard to put down. Dr. Stringham is not only a gifted wildlife biologist, but a gifted writer; his descriptions are beautiful. I love this book, as has every other person I know who has had the fortune to read it. Christine Nicolayeff
on July 11, 2002
Reading this book was a privilege. The author writes with a sensitive and wonderfully descriptive style. I found myself fascinated from the moment I picked it up until I put it down. It is at once an adventure, and a love story of an unusual kind. In reading this book, I felt his reverence for wild animals, particularly for bears, and I learned to look at them as something far more than I had before. I was not overwhelmed by the science in the book, because it was so skillfully interwoven with his description of raising three black bear cubs. Dr. Stringham has created a treasure, and I highly recommend it.
on January 12, 2003
As many in this world know, very few will experience the Bear. Dr. Stringham skillfully shares his experience with the Ursus kind in a manner which allows the laymen to touch this creature in the comfort of the armchair.
I have much respect for what Steve has done, both in this book and his career, and hope that my words may spread the message that is contained in this book. I truly know that this will become a classic; in the true spirit of Michio Hoshino...Please write more Steve!
on March 5, 2015
Excellent book on bears
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
Surprising someone would go to all the effort to write such a boring book. He seemed to have his heart in it when he talks about the bears, but when it includes people, he loses it. I threw it in the trash where it belongs. I normally recycle everything.
0Comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse