Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 338 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 6:12:56 AM PDT
Cassy says:
Not to mention Eileen Wilks, Nalini Singh, Jeanien Frost and probably a dozen or more authors who all put their outtakes and the occasional short story on their website for their fans as freebies.
Rachel Caine has about a dozen free short stories for each of her series available and I won't even start about Kelley Armstrong.

I'm wondering, if even the troos will let her get away with this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 6:17:56 AM PDT
Do you honestly think that LKH will give any of her 'golden words' for free? I'm sure it was pitched to her that offering it as a freebee on her site or to her loyal fans on her forum would have been a great PR idea but she most likely started on her diatribe on how this could be another 'mini book' like Flirt...and I'm betting dimes to dollars that this IS 'the short piece' she was mooning over expanding it to the point where it could be sold as a book.

But rather than publish it as a book, after learning their lesson with the fan backlash on Flirt, they packaged it as a very cheap (seriously 2.99) e-book to pacify LKH and make sure the fans don't feel compleatly ripped off.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 6:30:13 AM PDT
Jeronimo says:
So this is LKH's extended ego stroke, with her two hot vampires telling her, I mean her 'avatar', how beautiful and desirable she is?

*trails listlessly towards bathroom, weeping softly*

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:40:49 AM PDT
Julaine says:
I've already commented on what I think of the fact that she wrings money out of her fans at every available opportunity, what galls me is that she thinks a hot tub scene is something "new" or "fresh" and if any points out the fact that it had recently been done, as a short, and as a fan request, she will be all indignant about it and claim that SHE doesn't read genre fiction and had no idea that she is once again suddening having a moment of inspiration one book, or one story after another author in her field.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:04:19 AM PDT
If it's been pushed back to May 8 that means the book will be selling first, right? may 5? I can't see that a hot tub scene will sell to any reader not a hardcore fan. And that opening line about beautiful man is something I've seen before more than once so I know that everything that follows is probably a repeat, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:05:04 AM PDT
Jeronimo, I think you need chocolate.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:17:35 AM PDT
Naomi Clark says:
I thought KtD was scheduled for a June release?

Hey, at least the existence of cut scenes means the book was edited!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:02:57 AM PDT
Didn't we find out that it doesn't have a firm release date attached? Just whenever the book is received and shelved? Or am I thinking of another book or did the publisher change the release?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:07:02 AM PDT
Julaine says:
Kiss the Dead...June 5

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:14:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 8:17:33 AM PDT
Julaine says:
Beauty...an Outtake May 8

In other words, hurry and buy the trash we cut from the novel because we are sure everyone loves a story about two impossibly feminine men convincing the narcissistic sociopath in their life for the upteen millionth time that she is the most desirable woman in the world...NOT

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:53:33 AM PDT
nynaeve77 says:
This sounds appalling. Who wants to read pages of Anita's "I'm-not-pretty-and-blonde" angst? There will be 100 pages of angst followed by 2 pages of cut-and-paste sexxing. Lame.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:02:09 AM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
A person could get whiplash trying to follow Anita sometimes. In most books Anita is going on and on about how she is the most manly man but in this out take she is apparently whining the most girly whines about she is not reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyy pretty.
And YET AGAIN some of her men, her girly looking men, must reassure her of her absolute state of utmost worthiness and worshipfulness.

I was feeling guilty and thinking that I stouldn't let other brave and unselfish readers suffer alone and that I, too, should sacrifice and read this......thing. But you know what........

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh! Suddenly struck by Beauty blindness! Totally.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 9:17:20 AM PDT
Magdalen77 says:
Yes. Someone said that KtD has an early May ship date, but there's no mandatory hard release date for June 5th. So, bookstores can put it on the shelves as soon as it comes in.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:27:48 AM PDT
Magdalen77 says:
I found it!! Ogress said this on the PW synopsis for Kiss the Dead thread:

"I was checking out the May On Sale calendar at PW and saw for May 5:
Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton (Berkley, $27.95; ISBN 978-0-425-24754-9). 200,000 copies.

No more One Day Laydown which is when they hold universal release, and sale, to one date. It's more prestigious, more expensive and almost guarantees hitting the best sellers lists. Also it's down 50,000 copies.

And because I just finished this book I looked it up:
A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison (Harper Voyager, $26.99; ISBN
978-0-06-195789-5). 250,000 copies. One-day laydown."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 9:55:00 AM PDT
EA Solinas says:
Zing. A TV show option AND higher print runs AND one-day laydown.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 11:02:13 AM PDT
I like how they're already saying it's a "best-selling novel" when the short will be released before Kiss the Dead even hits the stores. Overconfidence much? Over-selling? Or perhaps, given their die-hard attention to continuity, her staff wrote the blurb?

Plus, $2.99 for what is obviously a bit of PWP?? Are you kidding me? If I want a bit of smut to read, I can find MUCH better examples, from other websites, for much less. Typical LKH conceit. Pay for my carp when other authors will give their outtakes away for free.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:09:05 AM PDT
Julaine says:
No, not another penny will I contribute to her delusions that she is some kind of a tortured artist with a hot line to her personal muse. There are some many other options and truly wonderful stories to read that I just don't have the patience anymore for her mediocrity. I follow the snark as a pastime but don't actual read the books anymore. I guess I would give it a try if you guys said it was noticeably better but I have kind of given up hope at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:36:54 PM PDT
Tuesdae says:
So, basically, it's 'Micah' with two vampires and a hot tub this time.

ICK.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:40:36 PM PDT
EA Solinas says:
Well, if we're lucky, we won't get Laumerita explaining about the smells of vaginas and/or discussions about Teh Traumaz of having a big wangdoodle.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:00:45 PM PDT
Robin Hood says:
Or a discussion of how people like the smell of food.

IIRC, that took four pages.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:04:17 PM PDT
lifewontwait says:
Why would vampires sit in a hot tub anyway?

If someone else were writing this short story, Asher would push Anita's head underwater and hold it there til she drowned, or at least stopped whining. : b

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 3:06:38 PM PDT
Jeronimo says:
Don't tempt me.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:47:14 PM PDT
AmberLeigh says:
At one point they had a forum on LKH's website about Beauty where a mod stated it was an alternate story but when I went there tonight I seen nothing about it not even a post. Seems like with nothing coming from Laurell and things being taken off her website maybe even she knows this was a bad idea? It just seems odd she hasn't said a word about it and now all the info is missing from her forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:05:30 PM PDT
Nic says:
<<Why would vampires sit in a hot tub anyway? >>

I know in the early early books, Monica and Robert had fun times in a hot tub, which led to Monica getting knocked up by the old-timer.

<<Asher would push Anita's head underwater and hold it there til she drowned, or at least stopped whining.>>
The real Asher would. Even the one that loved Anita; he would be fed up with her by now. I just got this thought process with him. "For some reason, Jean-Claude still liked her, loved her even. God knows why, but he'd never forgive me if he knew I killed her so the stupid tit would get to live another day." Okay .... snarky Asher thoughts maybe.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:04:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 10:41:19 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  50
Total posts:  338
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2012
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.3 out of 5 stars (675)