4.0 out of 5 stars A very erotic fairy-tale

3.0 out of 5 stars Past the Spanking, to the Psychology
Published on June 12, 2000 by John IV

4.0 out of 5 stars A very erotic fairy-tale, August 17, 2012
Marleen (Cavan, Ireland) - See all my reviews
After Beauty has caused her own expulsion from the Castle at the end of "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" she finds herself with the irresistible prince Tristan and other naked slaves on a cart heading towards the dreaded Village. Once on the market square, Beauty, Tristan and the others are auctioned of to the highest bidder, with Tristan being purchased by Master Nicolas, the Queen's chronicler and Beauty by Mistress Lockley, the owner of an inn. It soon becomes clear to both of them that while they were used, ordered around and punished in the Queens castle, their treatment there was child's play compared to what they are about to encounter in the Village. In the castle they were the playthings of the Lords and Ladies, but here they truly are slaves. And although their masters are still not allowed to do any real harm, there are no other restrictions on the ways in which they may be used.
Tristan finds himself put to work as a human pony, complete with tail and harness when he's not being punished in a public spectacle while Beauty is handed over the handsome Captain of the Guard for his pleasure as well as that of his men.
Both slaves at first experience deep fear as well as humiliation but neither can deny the pleasure even these feelings bring them. And slowly the realisation dawns that this is the treatment they prefer. The submission they are brought to under the cruel villagers brings them deeper satisfaction then the games played in the castle ever did.
When Master Nicolas allows Tristan and Beauty to spend an unexpected night together, what should have been a heavenly experience turns into a nightmare and the start of a whole new, but not very different, experience.

It is hard to figure out what to say about this book.
A lot of people will say that they don't mind, and even like, sexual content in their books provided it is backed-up by a good story, and in general I agree with that sentiment.
That of course does raise the question; what about books in which the sexual content is the story? What standard do you judge a book by if that is the case, as it is in Beauty's Punishment?
This is a story about discovering the pleasures of sex as well as the truth about yourself. The characters discover that those things they are made to do and endure, which they know are humiliating, are also the experiences that bring them most pleasure. Everything they thought they knew about themselves, their needs and their feelings turns out to be wrong. As they discover what really brings them pleasure they have to overcome their old believes and values as well as truly surrender both to their own feelings and to those who bring those feelings to life inside them.
In many ways this book is as much a psychological examination of the characters needs and true feelings and their acknowledgment of those as it is a very explicit erotic fairy-tale.
And yes, this is very much a fairy-tale even if it is one that is aimed only at adults. It takes a familiar theme to extreme heights, on to a level that couldn't be possible in the real world. And I found that because I was constantly aware that I was reading a fairy-tale I had no problem accepting what I encountered on the page. Nothing was too extreme or too unbelievable because in a fairy-tale anything is possible and everything is acceptable.

Anne Rice is a good author who has a way with words and knows how to draw her readers into her stories, and this book was no exception. I enjoyed my visit with Beauty and was fascinated by the world created around her. It won't be long before I read the third and final part in this trilogy because I can't wait what else Mrs. Rice has in store for her characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting twist on a fairy tale fantasy, January 18, 2003
By A Customer
Like the other two books of the series Beauty's Punishment puts an very erotic spin on the old fairy tale. This series was my first time reading litterature on this particular area of sexual fantasy but it was so enthralling that I couldn't put the books down once I was drawn into the world of Beauty. If you have an open mind about various aspects of sexuality this book is one not to be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Past the Spanking, to the Psychology, June 12, 2000
John IV (Snohomish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
It had been a year or so since I had read the first one, and after completing this installment I would strongly suggest, for continuity sake, that people do not allow that lapse of time. Recall that this is an updated erotic version of the sleeping beauty fairy tale. The Prince in this medieval version wakes Beauty from her 100-year sleep not with a kiss, but by making her a sexual initiate. This act coupled with the mores and power structures of the land force Beauty off to the Prince's distant castle where she will undergo all manner of S&M and bondage. Despite becoming a castle favorite amongst the nobles, the Prince, and the Queen herself, Beauty's spirit and `soul' is not broken by these acts and she willfully disobeys. She is sentenced to slavery in the neighboring village, and that is where this book takes up. Beauty and her final castle paramour Tristan are sold at auction in the village square, Beauty goes to an inn while Tristan is snapped up by one of the villagers richest men, the Queen's chronicler. What follows for the two are a series of spankings, public punishments, being dressed up like a pony [complete with, er, tail accoutrements] to pull carts, and being `forced' to pleasure a wide variety of lodgers, and other slaves. It should also be mentioned that the castle slaves who are sent to the village for punishment must run around bereft of clothes, and never speak unless told to. It is here that the story flags, the punishments and humiliations mount, but we are only vaguely aware of both protagonists' feelings and thoughts as this continues. Beauty gives in to it all and comes to appreciate her place, but she does not give over the love of her soul. The numerous, and I do mean numerous, spankings become banal after awhile as the reader desensitizes. I found things becoming more interesting psychologically about 5/6 of the way through when Nicolas [Tristan's master] plumbs his depths about why a slave behaves as they do, what they think of the abasement, and whether love could come from this non-egalitarian relationship. Tristan provides no shocking revelations really, and the age-old struggle for dominance and power is left as the answer. Nicolas then professes his love as Tristan's heart soars, for he, Tristan needs the discipline to complete himself. This was a rather difficult read, I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, but it was interesting on other levels. As some other reviewers have noted the plot thins considerably and all we are left with are the power struggles acted out through sex. Thankfully, things picked up a bit, as noted, towards the end. For completeists sake I begin Beauty's final chapter, as she is kidnapped from the village and taken to the Eastern realms of a Sultan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Middlesex, February 2, 2000
Trevor Hendy, Iron man (Sunshine coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
I agree with the reader who similarly made the error of starting in the middle. I've spoken to another who started at the beginning and with, so far, superior results. If you attempt to read this book before the first, you aren't really indoctrinated into the fantasy nature of the work, and hence try to interpret it in a real-world mindset. I kept wondering about the economics of feeding all these slaves - what on earth were the villagers getting out of it all, why didn't they just put the slaves to work in garment factories, blah blah blah --- completely missing the point. If you are going to read this book, do yourself the favour of reading the prequel first.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome& erotic!! It is one of my fav. books!, December 11, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Beauty's Punishment (Paperback)
I didn't want to put this book down. I could stay up for hours promising my self just one more chapter, knowing that I had to be up early. I kept saying to myself....Okay; this is the last chapter. Just get to the end of it and go to bed! It's very erotic and has lots of suspense. It's one of those stories where you say, "Ohmigod! What's gonna happen now?" I am ordering the sequel now. I can't wait to get it and start reading. Ann Rice can take you to a different world if ya let her. It's amazing. I actually felt like I was with Beauty...if not her myself. I reccomend this book to anyone out there that likes an erotic novel. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Hot!!, July 21, 2012
After finishing 50 Shades of Gray series I wasn't sure where to turn after that great read so I followed the suggestion of other Amazon reviews and read this series. This is the second book in a 3 part series it is vital that you actually read the series in order. The first being The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty then this book and the third bring Beauty's Release. This book is very strong erotic. I would say way stronger than 50 Shades of Gray. If you're comfortable reading a BDSM book with three ways, lesbian and gay sex scenes then this is the book for you. I like that because it is a 3 books Anne Rice does take the time to develop the characters so you feel you get to know everyone. If you're looking for smoking hot erotica then this is definitely the story for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Three, January 1, 2005
Yes, I truly do think that this book is the best of the three for numerous reasons.

A lot of people reviewing this book have expressed that they were, shall we say, uncomforatble about the bi-sexuality in it. If they have read any of Rice's previous books, then what are they so shocked about? You know she is going to turn it all around, don't you? You know that she is going to make her characters experience everything in every way possible. Yet some people still squirm at that simple thought. All I can do is shake my head.

I am a super-straight single female. But I am not afraid to admit that this books is pretty hot. Yes, some things could never happen that way in real life, but that is why it's FANTASY. The relationship that I found particularily touching is the one forming between Tristian and his new master. At first I really hated him for being so cruel to Tristian, but after a certain bedroom scene...I changed my mind. I mean, they are falling in love. A strange kind of love, but it really suckered me into it.

The way they interact as master and slave works for them, cause they both love what they are doing. His master loves punishing him, and Tristian loves to suffer for his master. In the end, it's very sweet. Now, whenever Tristian got punished by his master, I got really turned on because I knew that it meant more.

I recognized a lot of changes in Beauty as well. She really loves being punished now, doesn't she? In the first book she felt so humiliated and scared and unable to confirm to any commands, but now she understands pretty much everything, and she honeslty adores it! I mean, I would too, all under those beautiful men's attentions...

All in all, this book was the best becuase it explained Tristian so well -- it was almost like I could see into his soul. And because of Beauty's changes. Those of you that wanted more reason and a sense of realism, do keep in mind that you are reading an EROTICA fantasy novel, so stop preaching morals as if you were a priest, and stop critiquing it like it's supposed to be an Emily Dickison poem. For what it is, Beauty's Punishment is turly a great achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The First, February 12, 2006
I really enjoyed this book...much more so than I did the first one. I think one reason I liked it better was because of the village setting. The village people seemed more "real," and while the punishments were still degrading and dehumanizing, at least they were somewhat functional...such as cleaning, harvesting, pulling carts, etc...rather than the senseless tasks the slaves were made to perform at the castle.

I found the scenes to be much more arousing in this one than in the first. And a lot of focus was given on the internal workings of Tristan and Beauty's minds, which was very interesting. The scenes involving Tristan and his Master Nicolas are not to be missed - both the sexual and non-sexual. They are excellent.

I only wished the ending had turned out differently. I was looking forward to more development of the relationship between Nicolas and Tristan, and more scenes invloving Beauty and the Captain and Mistress Lockley. It seems they had barely gotten settled in before they were whisked away. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the final installment of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensuality @ It's best..., January 15, 2000
I actually believe this book to be a great example of SOME aspects of the BDSM culture. The way that Beauty fully surrenders herself to the dominance of those surrounding her is something that I found to be truly beautiful. The book didn't just focus on the sexual aspect of BDSM, but it looked at it as a lifestyle. The submissive characters in the book were submissive all the way down to their daily chores. The book was extremely descriptive. I could feel textures, taste flavors, and revel in the upmost delicious scents. I haven't read the whole series, and I actually regret starting from the middle...I would recommend starting from the beginning because I had a sense of being slightly lost. I was curiuos throughtout the whole book as to how these creatures came to their position of submissiveness. I also love how at the end of the book, you are left hanging in an air of ecstacy and mystery. It makes one "hungry" for the next book. Mrs. Rice always has a way of doing such a thing......

4.0 out of 5 stars Character development?, August 10, 1999
By A Customer
I'm amazed at the comments of other readers. Who reads bookslike this for the character development? The same ones who readPlayboy for the articles? This is not a fairy tale; it is not a character study. It is intended to be sexually arousing, and either you find it to be so, or you don't. But, please, read something else if you want character development.

Beautys Punishment: second of the Classic Erotic Trilogy of Sleeping Beauty