Beavis and Butt-head - The Mike Judge Collection, Vol. 1
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Per Episode||Buy Season|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Throughout the shorts, which were created for MTV, Beavis and Butt-Head do their worst. Stunts they pull on the dim-bulb Anderson, a prototype for King of the Hill's Hank Hill, include: Riding off with his mower ("Home Improvement"), chopping down his tree ("Lawn and Garden"), throwing his poodle in the washer ("Washing the Dog"), and destroying his golf clubs ("Pool Toys"). Fate has a funny way of catching up with the cretins, however, as when Beavis gets bit by a rabid dog ("Rabies Scare") and goes to hell ("The Final Judgement of Beavis") or when Butt-Head chokes on a piece of chicken ("Choke") and gets his mouth wired shut ("Patients, Patients").
Other characters include buddy Stewart, bully Todd, pinhead Principal McVicker, teachers Buzzcut and Van Driessen, and the Great Cornholio (Beavis's demonic alter-ego). Guest voices include David Spade ("Manners Suck"), David Letterman ("Late Night With Butt-Head"), and Gilbert Gottfried ("Right On"). As astute fans are sure to notice, this set omits the word "complete" from the title as Judge chose not to include those shorts he considers "really, really awful and embarrassing" (mostly those in which B&B set things on fire). Plus, there's more to come from seasons five through seven and the mini-documentary Taint of Greatness makes for a nice addition. --Kathleen C. Fennessy
Top Customer Reviews
The so called "director's cut" episodes don't ADD anything... they only remove stuff. So not only do you not get the videos in with the episodes, you also get censored episodes as well.
Some examples from DVDTalk (so far):
* 1-900-BEAVIS - On the Time Life disc, when the boys first make the phone call, they laugh and Butthead says "She said something" and they continue to laugh. On the Paramount disc, this line is omitted.
During the call the lady asks if they're there, and on the Time Life disc Butthead says "I think I just innoculated" (which is kinda funny actually). This line is removed in the Director's Cut.
Then at the end, the last line in the Time Life version is "Hey, maybe we'll hear some butt wind." This is removed from the Director's Cut.
* Late Night with Butthead - The new Director's Cut removes the first minute and a half of this episode, starting instead where B&B pitch the idea for their talk show. It removes Letterman's cameo voice appearance. Later, the director's cut removes B&B celebrating with some air guitar after successfully pitching their show.
So again, the only thing the Director's Cut does is remove stuff.
* Figure Drawing - The DC removes a line where their teacher says he's about to teach a class on Aroma Therapy. Three or four lines are then cut after B&B rearrange the letters on the sign. Several other dialogue cuts throughout. No additions.
* Held Back - The DC removes the lines "This desk is giving me a stiffy" and "I don't even have room for a stiffy".Read more ›
1. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST PUT THE VIDEOS BACK IN THE EPISODES??? In many ways, that's what made the show great! It is my opinion that B&B in many ways did more to influence (for better AND for worse) the direction of music in the 90's. We can thank them for taking bands like Poison and Winger off the charts for good! And they also kick-started the careers of many bands like White Zombie, who probably didn't have a prayer otherwise. (Not saying I'm a White Zombie fan, just that I recognize the power the show had to make or break artists. That's a lot of power!)
2. THIS COLLECTION PUTS THE WORD "CUT" BACK IN THE PHRASE "DIRECTOR'S CUT". But WHY? Why cut out ANY of the scenes from these episodes? For example, the final scene in the "Manners Suck" episode -- where B&B are sitting on the johns in the men's room saying "Please come out", something we've ALL said on the can many times throughout our lives, thus making it so funny -- is MISSING! WHY, MIKE? WHY? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Is that suddenly too juvenile for you now that you have gotten older? Besides, without the final scene, the episode feels somehow unresolved. I've been struck with that feeling numerous times while watching these DVD's. It leaves you feeling unsatisfied.
3. WHY CAN'T THESE BE RELEASED AS "SEASONS" INSTEAD OF AS A COLLECTION OF MIKE JUDGE'S PERSONAL FAVORITES??? Who cares which ones Mike likes which ones he doesn't? Just because these are HIS favorites doesn't mean they're MINE.Read more ›
Here is the biggest complaint: they have completely chopped out the music videos that were such an integral part of the show when it was run on MTV. You know, the clips where a video is playing and the boys give their thoughts, whether they'd be trashing a terrible one or cheering an Iron Maiden video. Gone, completely cut out! The MTV logo is plastered all over the case, but this DVD DOES NOT REPRESENT THE SHOW AS SEEN IN IT'S ORIGINAL FORM!!!! I don't know if the videos have been cut out due to licensing restrictions ( as in older seasons of Mystery Science Theater, where the rights to the movies have expired ), but not having Beavis & Butthead making fun of the videos takes away an incredibly funny aspect of the show.
On top of that, you get nothing extra for the price. No commentary, no unreleased material, NOTHING!!!!! Despite the fact of containing 7 episodes, the disc doesn't even crack the 45-minute barrier!!! In fact, it seems like Sony went the extra mile to shortchange the consumer with this product. I love " Beavis and Butthead "...
Edited = 0 stars.
I dare you, watch the Time Life Butt-O-Ween version of 'Late Night With Butt-Head' and then watch it missing almost 3 minutes of awesome footage in 'The Mike Judge Collection'. Same with '1-900-Beavis' and the end of 'Manners Suck' - I hate edits. I have a personal vendetta against edits.
Interestingly enough, we now have the footage for the 'original' version of 'Home Improvement'. Allow me to explain:
The Time Life version of 'Home Improvement' has had the paint thinner sniffing scene edited out, BUT 'The Mike Judge Collection' puts the sniffing scene back while CUTTING the beginning with Bill Clinton and the ending footage including Mr. Anderson saying to the cops, "I think they were oriental".
We have all been betrayed by Mike Judge. I was watching B&B during the greatest and happiest years of my life (my early 20's) and now that I am bankrupt, alone, and depressed all I want are some old friends to get buzzed with. I miss B&B, the videos, and my all time favorites, 'Way Down Mexico Way' and 'Peace, Love, and Understanding'.
By the way, here is my personal list of edited DVD's in my collection -
THE EDIT LIST:
1 - The History of Beavis & Butthead (Recalled Paramount release edits 'Good Credit', 'Bedpans and Broomsticks', the beginning of 'Give Blood' and 'Door to Door' and other things)
2 - Ren & Stimpy UNCUT (Of course, it is cut)
3 - Married With Children Season 4 (7 edited episodes)
4 - Tom & Jerry Collection 1 (Gee, why not alter our history for the next generation?Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The person we bought these for enjoyed them. He is probably related to Beavis or Butt-Head.Published 5 days ago by w.k.
Add me to the list of people who should have read the reviews. NO MUSIC VIDEOS. I was excited to share B&B with my daughter. Totally bummedPublished 13 days ago by Justin H.
I hadn't watched these two knuckleheads for a long time but instantly began to chuckle when they started laughing in "no laughing". Read morePublished 17 days ago by shane
When the public asked for Beavis and Butt-head on DVD, Time Life granted us a set of mail-order DVDs that practically compiled the VHS releases like "Work Sucks" and... Read morePublished 3 months ago by Orphan of Sickness
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Television
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > TV