Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover - Ascot
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Ascot|Change

on March 25, 2007
It sounds like the previous reviewer didn't even try the product. This product is easy to use, and very useful. The wire at the top holds the cover so you can see baby while feeding, and the tie around the neck keesp it on instead of fumbling with a blanket. It helps when you want to be little more discreet with breastfeeding, and also helps new breastfeedings moms take time to have baby latch on well. If a woman is comfortable breastfeeding everywhere, this product may not be necessary. For those of us who believe in breastfeeding, but want to be private it is a great product. It's nice that it comes in a variety of colors as well.
0Comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2009
I bought this when my baby was 6 months old and wish I had ordered it when she was a newborn. It is great! It really helped me get over my apprehension about nursing in public. The wire around the neckline to allow you to see your baby while nursing is genius. One thing to consider is that when you hitch up your shirt to give baby access, your back & sides will be still exposed for all to see, especially if you have a bigger/older baby. The nursing cover really only provides coverage in front (where it counts the most!). You can get around this by wearing a nursing tank or button up shirt, or by wearing a sweater or jacket while nursing. Like I said, this is a great product, it absolutely does what it is supposed to, I am just super-modest and prefer coverage everywhere. Nobody needs to see my muffin top.

I love the handy little pocket sewn onto one corner. I do wish that there were 2 pockets, one on the left and one on the right.

Overall, this apron is very high quality. I have washed & dried it many times and it still looks great. If you order black, beware that the fabric seems to be a magnet for pet hair, etc.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2007
I agree. This is a great product. I'm not embarassed to BF my children, however I do have a strong sense of modesty. This nursing cover allows you complete privacy in a stylish way. If you think the product is too pricey you can go to a fabric store and make one yourself (if you're handy like that-I"m not). I love all the fabric choices and corresponding burp clothes. I've given this as a gift at several baby showers and the moms' LOVE it! I'm expecting my next child shortly and can't wait to use the cover again, especially since I'll be running after my toddler while BF.
on February 9, 2010
I have overall been very happy with this product until lately. I purchased this before my son was born and have used it extensively, each time I nurse around anyone besides family, since my son was born 6 1/2 months ago. I chose the chocolate color because I liked the color scheme and design, and my son seems to enjoy looking at it as well. I like being able to look at my son while he's breastfeeding and the adjustable loop around my neck is easy to adjust. I have used it many times as a lightweight "sun cover" for his carseat as well and a burp cloth if I don't have anything else around since it has a small, thick terry cloth patch (with a pocket I've never used). My only complaint is that it isn't the best cover for a squirmy baby who likes to pull on the cover. Because it doesn't cover all the way around, just the front area, it is sometimes difficult for me to stay covered when my son is less sleepy and more active. The amount of use I've gotten out of this cover justifies the money spent and I'll continue to use this even with our squirmy guy. I would buy this again.
on July 26, 2010
My best friend gave me the BeBe Au Lait nursing cover after my son was born and I had already started breastfeeding him. I had such a hard time getting him to latch in the beginning and he was very squirmy. Before I had this cover, I would use a receiving blanket tucked into my bra straps. My son would wiggle and pull down the blanket and I was mortified that I was going to show myself to the world when he did this. With the Bebe Au Lait, it straps around your neck so that it won't fall down in front but you can still peek through the opening that the plastic boning provides to view latching and see how well your baby is eating. The fabric is also much wider than I expected, so when the baby kicks or bats an arm, it doesn't totally expose you either. I love this thing!!! I am a PROUD breastfeeder but didn't want to expose myself and this gave me the confidence to get out of the car and fitting rooms I had been hiding in before. Never with anything else would I have had the nerve to nurse my son in public, let alone even sitting at the table in a busy restaurant (which I did, more than once) with such CONFIDENCE!

Makes a great cover for pumping too! When I returned to work, I ended up pumping in a storage closet without a lock on the door. (Yay.) I brought my Bebe Au Lait with me and used it to cover in case anyone walked in, which actually happened once. It was great to have something to cover me and to be able to see how much milk I was pumping but that I could still look down and make sure I was attaching/removing the flanges properly. I also used the cover a few times over the infant car seat for sun shade or protection from the rain. I happen to have two of these now because I found one at a consignment store. One of them is a very light colored fabric mostly white background with light grey and light blue (can't remember the fabric name), the other has a slightly darker more dense pattern (called Kimono). Neither of them are see-through at all. Washes well, and I do put it in the dryer on a light setting and use a warm iron occasionally.

I nursed my son for 10 1/2 months total, and I don't think I would have gone for so long had I not had this awesome cover! Now I am expecting baby # 2 and I am so happy that I have my Bebe Au Lait from the start! This thing will be ESPECIALLY nice to have in the hospital when friends, family, and nurses pop in without any announcement!

*update** 7/19/12** I love both of my BeBe Au Lait nursing covers. I nursed baby#2 for 14 months with ease, anywhere and everywhere, again with confidence! The beach, church, restaurants, and even on a slow ride at Disneyworld. If I didn't have this cover I would never feel so bold! I love it and highly recommend it. I have never had anyone bat an eye at me while nursing under this. You can't see a thing. I gladly allowed photos to be taken of me nursing this time around with my cover. Wish I had more photos of me nursing my first. Even in hot Florida sun at Disneyworld it is lightweight and doesn't make me or baby sweat too badly. Highly recommended.
on December 26, 2007
Bebe au Lait/Hooter Hiders are a really great idea and they probably work great for a lot of BFing moms/babies. I have a VERY active, inquisitive little boy though and it's been tough. I bought Chocolat (which is a really beautiful print...I love it!). The problem is that if I'm BFing in a sunny area, the light shines through the material...under the cover, the affect is like stained glass and it totally distracts my boy. (Kind of funny, I know!) The result is that he keeps coming off to look at the pretty colors and trying to get him to latch on again is like wrestling. Add a fabric cover to the mix and the result is total chaos. Instead of making me feel like I can BF more discreetly, I feel like I'm putting on a show. However, I'd have the same problem with a blanket, so at least this cover didn't fall off! I have had better success with the cover when it's been dark or dusky out, or when my son is in a more mellow, hungrier frame of mind, lol. Anyway, I think that like with all baby products, this cover will be a lifesaver for some, but not all.
11 comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2007
Great for nursing in public - wish I would have had one of these with my first child. Light weight, collar is great for viewing baby - only downside is if you are outside on a windy day. Light weight fabric means you need to tuck fabric into you to keep from blowing open*, but otherwise a great, great product. (*recently experienced this!)
on August 21, 2011
Background:
- I am 4'10", have a very large chest, and am freakishly modest
- My son has always been in the 90+ percentile for length and 85-95 percentile for weight
- We have used this cover from the time he was about 3 weeks old, and are still using it at over a year now

Pros:
- Goes on easy and adjusts easily
- Pockets in the corners to put pacifier, burp rag, small toy, etc. while nursing
- Pockets are terry cloth, which is great for doing a quick wipe of baby's mouth if you don't have a burp rag or something
- Cover is large enough that I can tuck it under him a little so I don't have to worry about him ripping it off, it blowing off in the wind, etc. (I have also used the pockets to stick my hands in and hold the cover down if he is being particularly squirmy...they are sewed on well!)
- It can be used as a blanket for sleeping, or to lay on the ground for tummy time/play time
- Can easily see baby because of the rigid neckline

Cons:
- Due to my stature, it is easy for people to be able to see down the opening, or even just while I am sitting. However, it can easily be adjusted and moved to the side so that you can not see down it, and easily shifted back over to see baby again.
- Using it outside in 80+ degree heat has caused me and baby to become outrageously hot and sweaty. We have a light cover I use when I know I will be in this kind of situation. I don't use the light cover all the time though because it is smaller, blows away easier, and I don't feel comfortable because of those concerns.

Overall, the cover is great. I highly recommend it to anyone. If you are having issues with it blowing away, or other people being able to see down it just practice at home. It takes a little bit of practice with any cover to figure out what the best positioning is, how to adjust while feeding, what works and doesn't work for you and your baby. I have used this cover on airplanes, in crowded rooms, in church, in the car (not while it's moving), waiting rooms, etc. I have never had any issues with it that I couldn't find a solution for. Using a cover isn't any more "natural" or "easy" than breastfeeding your first child during the first couple weeks is! Give it time and practice with it.
on December 6, 2012
I nursed my first daughter until she was 19 months old and I'm now nursing my 6 month old daughter. These cover ups are nice unless you dry them. They're the right size if you wash them on warm and air dry them. I made the mistake of drying the first one I purchased and wasn't able to use it anymore because it was just too small. I also like the corner terry cloth pouches for wiping milk off of my baby's face if needed when they're done nursing. I really like the pattern choices Bebe has. I only gave it 4 stars because of the shrinking that occurs when drying them. Otherwise, it's a great cover up for a newborn to almost 2 year old.
on October 25, 2014
This cover does in fact provide great coverage. Too much coverage, perhaps. Holy hell does it get hot under there! If you're looking to kill two birds with one stone and nurse while you hit the sauna, you're in luck. Otherwise, I recommend using an infiniti scarf (you don't need one specifically for nursing, either).