Published 23 months ago by Geraldine Ahearn

3.0 out of 5 stars not what you expect
Title was a little misleading the revelations had come much earlier than he announced them. But entertaining to say the least
Published 4 months ago by Charles S. Sebring

5.0 out of 5 stars "A FUN-FILLED PRESENTATION OF MYTH VERSES TRUTH IN OLD WIVES' TALES!", December 8, 2012
Bestselling author and well-known for success on the game show Jeopardy, Ken Jennings chronicles a fun-filled presentation on parental wisdom in relation to the old wives' tales passed down from generation-to-generation. A book of old memories for thousands of parents who could relate, and the children who could not forget. Although some statements are hilarious, others were thought-provoking,such as 'Don't talk to strangers!' The author investigates reasons why hundreds of statements were used in different situations and may have worked with good results for our children, but concludes in investigation that many were in fact not true. An old one that we all heard of for years was 'Starve a fever-feed a cold!' As I find myself soaked in guilt along with millions of other parents, I must totally agree with Ken Jennings on scientific findings through experiments, facts, and results. I remember a statement that was extremely funny, but worked at the time. 'If you do that in the pool, then the water will turn purple!'. As several myths began to spread like wildfire across the map of generations, the more funny they sounded, but also more children began to question their own curiosity, and the author put the experimental results to the ultimate test. This is a fun trip down memory lane for parents and children as the reader will chuckle on the entire journey. Entertaining, interesting, and a fun read throughout. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read as a parent, December 5, 2012
A. Zards (Naperville, IL) - See all my reviews
A fun and easy read down memory lane for a parent.

I'm reading this book I'm remembering all the myths and misinformation I was told as a child, and now I find myself still telling MY kids. The author covers the myths, and explains them with some fact finding measures, and rates how true or false they are. You'll have some laughs and at least in my case, take a fun trip down memory lane and recall on how funny it must of been believing some of this schoolyard folklore.

And will I still be telling my kids some of these myths after the explanations? Absolutely! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An educational (and enjoyable!) read..., December 12, 2012
"Because I Said So!" was a good time. I don't have kids, but I was certainly told many of these myths when I was younger!

After a read through, it is obvious the author put a lot of time and effort into compiling a wide variety of studies and used quality sources. He has done a great job in arriving at clear cut answers whenever possible, and explaining where things are still murky or unknown. I laughed- and groaned happily- through the jokes. The selection of these generational tales and the author's entertaining voice really make this a unique book in the 'mythbusting' genre.

Highly recommended for yourself- and as a reasonably priced gift for that person in your life who is otherwise hard to shop for. I think just about anyone who sits down to read this book will find the time well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ken Jennings Knows, June 18, 2013
I watched Ken Jennings on Jeopardy and knew that he knew lots of things. So, I was excited to get this book. He explained a lot of those things my parents told me and I in turn passed on. Unfortunately, the gems I passed on weren't necessarily correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Informative, My Teen Loved It, February 28, 2013
We all grew up with a plethora of "wive's tales" that just seem to get passed on from generation to generation. You know the adages like: "Don't run with a sucker in your mouth", "Check your Halloween candy for needles & poison", "Feed a cold, starve a fever". How many of these sayings are based on truth and how many of them are totally (or partially) fiction? Ken Jennings takes a number of these well known sayings and picks them apart - examining each one for every grain of truth AND just plain old baloney. At the end of each segment you know just where the saying came from and what parts are true or not true based on science, observation, experiments, etc. and all the while you'll be highly entertained by Ken's lighthearted and humorous style of writing.

The book is separated into several sections as you can see from the book preview. It covers a great deal of territory: everything from health related adages to sayings that have to do with the seasons, eating, school related things, grooming, warnings...if you've heard it, it's probably in this book. ;-)
I swear I heard almost every single saying growing up and have said more than a few to my own kids, LOL. There were some definite "aha!" moments as I realized that some of the things I thought I knew, I didn't really and vise versa.

My teen son also read this book and LOVED it. He kept coming over to share new things he learned. One word of warning to parents though, there are a few concepts you might not want your younger children reading about like the section entitled, "If you keep touching it, you'll get hairy palms and go blind!" Nothing like having your teen strike up a conversation about THAT. *cough* There are also a couple of other potentially objectionable topics like tampon use and flat chests. Otherwise the rest of the book is a lot of wholesome fun.

Because I Said So would be a great book to read out loud in during a long car ride or when you are feeling crummy and want something light-weight and fun. It's also a great book to take along for when you are waiting for an appointment or something like that as the segments are short and quick to read. It would also make a terrific gift for those people you just have no idea what to get, especially teens.

We were able to try out the Kindle version and the audio book. The Kindle format is easy on the eyes without any formatting problems. The audio book is narrated by the author. He doesn't have the most "beautiful" voice on the planet, but it's a fun, quirky voice and all the humor of the book comes shining through in the way he reads it. In some ways it was more fun to listen to than to read (which is not my usual preference). Either way - the book or the audio version - I highly recommend Because I Said So. It's entertaining, informative and just plain fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Full of Trivia, September 3, 2014
I listened to the audio-book version of this book, which was read by the author. I found it to be very enjoyable to listen to. The book is a series of rapid fire "Myth Busters" type of sections, where he begins with an old adage, runs through the actual facts related to it, and then gives you a verdict at the end of True or False.

There are many of these sayings or adages in the book, some more interesting than others, but they are so short, that it is easy to listen to them all without getting bored. It is interspersed with humor and random tidbits that I found interesting.

The only other thing I think is worth noting of the audio-book, is that he speaks really quickly (Jeopardy style), so you might have to devote the majority of your attention to the audio if you don't want to miss anything. However, I found this audio-book to be great for listening to during my commute to work, and at just over 5 hours, I finished it in a few work days.

Overall, a fun book for anyone that enjoys trivia and learning random facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun debunkery and trivia, January 22, 2014
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Don't you want to know if your Mother was right and you'd have REALLY "put your eye out" if you got that BB gun for Christmas? "Feed a cold & starve a fever"? How dangerous is "Stranger Danger"? For the answers to these (psst, don't tell Mom- unless she was right!) read this sometimes hilarious and fact filled book.

It's a fast, fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely enjoyed this book, went back and read some of them again with my kids, June 30, 2013
Corinne Mulhern (Chula Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read this on a plane and found myself laughing out loud several times which I never do. I thought this was a funny, easy read that brought you back to your childhood and all those things your parents would tell you. I pulled it back out again after I got home and read some of them to my kids (not all of them - cause some things you just have to keep to yourself as a parent to use to your advantage!) and they completely enjoyed them as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars not what you expect, June 27, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Book, April 28, 2014
This is an entertaining and informative book about all the myths and truths our parents and we both used in raising our children. I would highly recommend reading it.