Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Because Your Mommy Loves You
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 14, 2014
Quote from the first pages of the book
" When you get lost in the camping store, and you call out, MOMMY, your mommy could say, "Its all right, I'm coming to find you!" but she doesn't."
next page ...
"She calls your name, and you follow the sound of her voice"
next page...
"When you find her, you get a big hug, after you promisee not to wander off again."
Well, this just turned me right off, right away. Having "lost" a child in a store, (even if they are right behind you) is a pretty terrifying thing for both parent and child. You aren't worrying about who is calling , mom or child, you just want that child there. This book was given to my daughter and she also commented on this, without me mentioning it.
I liked the rest of the book: the premise is self reliance. Just didn't like the opening.
Not a favorite book. I know I go against the grain of the other reviews, and bought the book on this fact, but we have so many other great children's books out there. (imho, and its just my own opinion,for what it is worth.)
on May 3, 2012
When my children hit their early teens, they began to question why I did not do all the "stuff" for them that other moms did for their children. At the time, I did not have an answer that they would accept, the answer that involved learning lessons and becoming self-sufficient. When I came across this book, I had to share it with them.

They still wished that I had been the one to make their life easier, but with age comes wisdom and they are both glad that they were taught the life skills that make getting over their own hurdles that much easier.

While on a camping trip, the mommy in this story knows that it is her responsibility to raise an independent self-reliant young man. When her son faces a few challenges, like carrying his own pack, crossing a wobbly log, or setting up a tent - tasks that she could easily do for him, but she doesn't - she decides to let her son challenge his own boundaries and with minimal help, mom and son can both celebrate in a job well done.

I loved this book and the life lessons that it teaches. In a world full of hovering parents, it is nice to see a mom that allows their child to gain confidence is lessons learned and challenges faced.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2013
Our librarian read this book to the kids at library hour before Mother's day. I so loved it I had to buy a copy for myself. It's very rare that mom is portrayed in a nontraditional role. In my home I am the one drags us camping all summer long and can't wait to take my kids on their first backpacking trips. I also appreciate how the author reinforces how a mommy can lovingly foster independence in your child. It's a great read that both of my preschoolers enjoyed, maybe mom little more so.
on July 27, 2015
I read this book first, and followed up with "Because Your Daddy Loves You." Did anyone else notice the gender bias that was blatant? In this one, a little boy and his mom are together, and she doesn't do a THING for him...fine, fine, I get the message....but WOW, go read Because Your Daddy Loves You (a dad and little girl), and it's the total opposite! He does everything for her! I was REALLY turned off by the difference in these books...I found it very weird!
on February 27, 2014
She thought I was so tough because I didn't do things for her. She read this book and started crying....a great book for a kid starting off on their adult life. My daughter realized how much more she is capable of doing on her own because we always made her do things for herself. A great life lesson for young and old.
on June 21, 2012
In this book, a mother and son embark on a camping trip together. The child encounters a few difficulties along the way, and the mother helps her young son overcome adversity without stepping in and doing everything for him. When the boy gets lost in the store, she doesn't go rushing after him but has him follow her voice back, gives him a hug and asks him to promise not to wander off. When the boy tires while hiking, she doesn't offer to carry his backpack for him but instead they take a snack break before continuing up the trail. R.W. Alley's colorful watercolor, ink and acrylic illustrations portray lovely outdoor scenes set in a national forest complete with a rainbow sunset and a cozy star lit evening.

The mom in this book certainly maintains a hands-off parenting style throughout the book, though she still snuggles and offers comforting support, especially at bedtime. The book is a good reminder to parents that it is important to instill in children a sense of responsibility, even at an early age. While this book is definitely an appropriate read for all families, it is an especially good choice for single parent families as it portrays only a mother and son.
on April 27, 2012
I enjoyed reading this to my boys, and more importantly, they loved listening to the story. Both kids (ages 3 and 6) sat quietly through the whole book, listening to the story and checking out the cute illustrations. I found it easy to identify with the mom character and learned a few lessons myself while reading it. This is a keeper for sure.
on January 3, 2014
You have to have this book, especially if you have Because Your Daddy Loves You. The story line is not as good but I was still thrilled to find it.
on November 14, 2013
I liked how it made it look like the mom was kind of mean and then she turns out to be nice and really loves her son.
on September 12, 2015
Favorite for my son during story time.