4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and nice looking but bit hot
I purchased the Beco Butterfly and have been using it for few weeks.
Here is my take on it and I'm going to be detailed since I was desperate for some detailed review when I was researching....

Pros:
-It's really nice looking...I get complements on it. It is the most attractive carrier I've seen so far.
-It's good quality...very sturdy, quality...
Published on July 21, 2008 by K. Nam

2.0 out of 5 stars chose something else
I just got the beco. I have about 8 other slings, carriers and backpacks. I got the beco thinking it looked nice and comfortable. I was WRONG! Let's start with the overall package.

Pros:
It looks nice, the straps are sturdy, the baby sits snug to you so there is no worrying about them coming out of it. The waist straps are comfortable and strong...
Published on August 14, 2008 by Jules

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and nice looking but bit hot, July 21, 2008
This review is from: Beco Butterfly Baby Carrier - Carnival (Baby Product)
I purchased the Beco Butterfly and have been using it for few weeks.

Pros:
-It's good quality...very sturdy, quality workmanship, good fabric
-It does distribute the weight to the hip so back does not hurt as much..so I don't mind wearing it for a long time. I have not noticed any irritation on my son after a long wear neither...it has padding for his legs.
-It's quick to get on but the buckle that was put in due to that previous recall is pain in the butt. It takes a lot of fiddling around with to adjust the top straps but it's super fast once you have it set since there really is no need to change it.
-It holds the baby nice and close to me (adjustable) and my baby is happy in it and sleeps in it well.
-I like the buckles vs tying stuff...it's quick...snap snap and it's done
-Infant insert works very well with my 5 month old (now almost 6 months)

Cons:
-It's padded and hot like the Bjorn, which sucks. It has the outer layer, baby insert layer, and another layer that lays on me directly...that's 3 layers with outer layer being pretty thick (not as thick as the Bjorn though). Yah...no wonder it makes my chest and stomach all sweaty after a walk in the hot weather.
-The back buckle is hard to reach and push down.
-I kinda don't like the straps...they are regular heavy duty nylon straps. It's good quality but it's not the softest thing to be rubbing against my baby's skin...most of the time it's out of the way but still....
-The headrest attaches awkwardly and is useless for infants...maybe it'll come in handy when he is a toddler. But my baby has no problem sleeping in it and I really haven't had to use it at all.
-I tried to put it on my husband's back...baby freaked and was not happy. It is bit too small for his wide back and my son was uncomfortable...perhaps we need to do more adjusting but adjusting the thing is not that easy with all the buckles. It's only easy once everything has been set up just right....but not so switching to diff person where every strap needs to be readjusted.
-I also find myself wanting the outward facing option...for those short periods when i want my son to see what's going on (like the 4th of July fireworks)

I do take it everywhere and use it a lot. I love how he sits in it. A friend of mine recently got a Moby wrap and she loves it. But I have to admit that I am not fond of how it looks on...all that extra fabric hanging and the tie knot...not so attractive. But it does look like it would be good for a little baby.

I am generally very happy with this carrier since its super easy now its all adjusted, comfy for my son, and have beautiful prints.

Update: Started putting my son in the main compartment out of the infant insert and the canvas material does make red marks on his thighs and he seems uncomfortable in it. Very disappointed. Thinking about getting the ERGO.

2.0 out of 5 stars chose something else, August 14, 2008

Pros:

Cons:
The same sturdy straps make for a VERY uncomfortable experience for mom and baby. The straps rub against the baby's arms and legs either in or out of the infant insert. My son is almost 5 months old, weighs 18 pounds...and he is very long, this didn't seem to make a difference. These straps also dig into the wearer at the arms no matter how you wear this thing or how you adjust it. I watched the video, etc. still could not adjust it to make it more comfortable for me or my son.

The area where the baby sits seems very loose until you put it on, then you have to adjust it to make it comfortable for baby. Basically you have to loosen it as once you strap yourself in, the baby becomes too snug...

They can only face in while in the front carry-not that big of a deal, but if you are going to spend this kind of cash, the option would be nice.

the new buckles they put on are hard to unbuckle. They are safer, but a pain.

Impossible to put on your back without help...even with practice, to be safe you need help to put it on the back.

Overall, I would not spend this amount of money on this pack. We have a kelty and although it isn't for a front carry and isn't as stylish it is still easy to put on and comfortable. I am planning on trying the ergo too..hopefully it will be better....This one is going back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Bonding, August 18, 2008
This review is from: Beco Butterfly Baby Carrier - Carnival (Baby Product)
Our 3 year old adopted daughter rides in this everywhere we go! From long hikes to the grocery store. Holding a child close is much better than putting them in a dirty shopping cart.

We also have a Kelty, but my husband says that this is better on his back! This past weekend we put our 5 year old in it at Jenny's Lake because she was getting leg cramps! She loved it! (She is 37 lbs.) My husband said it was easier than carrying her on his shoulders up and down the steep hills!!

I use it mostly around the house. Because my youngest is adopted, I like to have her close as often as possible, and this carrier does it! The straps that one of the reviewer mentioned are a little in the way, but she can put her arms over them, so they don't bug her so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beco vs BabyBjorn, BabyBjorn Active, Pikkolo & Medley carriers, July 5, 2013
This review is from: Beco Butterfly Baby Carrier - Carnival (Baby Product)
I am 5'8" and 140lbs, my husband is 6'1" and 210lbs. Here are our thoughts on these carriers:
*We first had the BabyBjorn, and LOVED it until our baby was 15+ pounds. It was so simple to use, could be easily adjusted for both me and my husband & our baby could FFO (front face out) very comfortably. After 15+ pounds though, the weight is all in your shoulders and we had to upgrade.
*We then tried the BabyBjorn Active, which has the lumbar support. This was much better than the original Bjorn, but still had a lot of weight on the shoulders. After 10-15 minutes, I was unable to carry our baby in it because of the shoulder pain.
*Next, we tried the Pikkolo. The weight was distributed very well and was very comfortable for me once I made all the adjustments. It was not very comfortable for our baby to FFO, even though it is made to do so. The waist support padding (that you buy separately for heavy babies) is not very comfortable, because it can slide on & off the belt, which made it hard to adjust and it often got crinkled up & cut into my lower back. The fabric is thin on the front/main support, which is great for traveling with it/compacting it down, but bad for baby's limbs support. Her arms and legs would get no circulation because the fabric would cut into her. Another downside we found was that there were too many adjustments. It was very difficult, if not impossible to get it on by myself. This also made it difficult for my husband and I to share it. Also, when I had the straps tightened how I needed them to be, they hung down very low and got tangled around my thighs, which became irritating.
*Next, we tried the Medley carrier. This felt wonderful on our shoulders, but all the weight was in our lower back. After wearing it around a while, my back was in pain. This would be sufficient for wearing 20 minutes at a time.
*Lastly, we tried to Beco Gemini & haven't looked back. Not only can we wear her in multiple positions as she grows older (including FFO), we can also wear her for very long periods of time without back or shoulder pain. It's easy for me & my husband to wear it and make the necessary adjustments. Like the Pikkolo, the weight is very evenly distributed & you can wear it FFO or in, hip or back. Unlike the Pikkolo, the straps are much easier to maneuver and tighten & don't dangle, the waist belt is much more comfortable because it is all one unit, and the front/main support is cushioned (like the BabyBjorn), so baby's limbs are more comfortable and she can rest her head when she is tired. Yay for the Beco!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Beco Butterfly Baby Carrier - Carnival (Baby Product)
This is a great carrier. It is cute & is excellent quality. I highly recommend it!

ARRAY(0x96813b40)