5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help you grow up, May 29, 2010
5monkeys (Central Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming the Husband Your Wife Thought She Married (Paperback)
I wish I had read this book before I got married. This is the first book that I've read in this genre, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but after reading it, I didn't feel that I needed to read another book by a different author for better insight. If you're having problems in your marriage, or if your marriage just isn't as wonderful as you were hoping it would be, this is a good place to start.
This isn't a how to book. This really is an exploration of masculinity, immaturity, and growing up. It isn't a path to getting in touch with your feminine side. It is a path to establishing genuine, lasting intimacy with your wife through becoming a better man.
Though this is written for men, women can benefit from this book as well - for a better understanding of men, and also because a lot of what is written isn't gender specific.
The book is well written, easy to read, and the author is very pleasant. There really isn't anything offensive about the author's tone. All things said, I recommend this book. I would also recommend this book as a pre-wedding gift to a son or a brother (even though they probably wouldn't read it until they were having problems).

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, March 15, 2014
Even though this is nearly 15 years old, in all seriousness, the book that changed my life to be a better man. Realizing what American culture does to boys and how it conditions them to only display and deal with the anger emotion ( and avoid all others) has made me a better person and spouse. I'm not saying this book made me "get in touch with my feminine side," but it did allow me to see how arrogant, self centered, and allergic to criticism I was, largely as a result of being taught how a boy is "supposed to act". My wife and I are wild for each other again and I couldn't be happier.

Becoming the Husband Your Wife Thought She Married
Becoming the Husband Your Wife Thought She Married by James A. Schaller (Paperback - March 21, 2000)
$16.95 $15.18