Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 8, 2009
Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst (president of Proverbs 31 Woman Ministries) is a fantastic book. After reading just the first chapter, I became a blog follower of Lysa's. Her relational writing style, coupled with her genuine, wisdom-filled encouragement made me excited to read the rest of the book. I love the way she transparently reveals her own life story in the pages, while sharing lessons she's learned along the way. It was one of those books where as I read it, I found myself nodding, exclaiming the words, "Yes" and "Amen" out loud and pictured sitting next to this woman at a coffee shop laughing my head off. As far as spiritual direction and vision is concerned, Lysa Terkeurst has got it going on.

Her stories are saturated with wit and applicable godly counsel of how to live a most fulfilling life in Christ. One example: Lysa challenges when you find yourself asking the why questions about the hardship you're enduring, try to rework the question into a more useful, "What am I supposed to do with it?" Another memorable analogy is when Lysa compares our brain (thought life) to a dryer lint filter. She suggests that we are wise to gauge whether or not we allow our minds to be cluttered with dangerous thoughts, making the connection to a full lint filter causing a potential fire in the home.

The book is a must buy!
0Comment48 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2009
This book was a page turner and I didn't want to put it down. Lysa Terkeurst brought everything together with her real life stories and life struggles that she has went through. This book is about not going through the motions of being a Christian. Its about not using the checklist to be the perfect Christian according to the world. A lot of us get caught up in the legalism of what you need to do to be a Christian, read the bible-check, pray-check, go to church on Sunday-check. The author explains that it is so much more about your relationship with God and with people that matters. She also states that no one is perfect in the walk with Christ. You will fall down, you will mess up but God says he will be there to pick you up.
The author also talks about measuring up to the secular world and that a lot of Christians struggle with not feeling adequate in this life, Jesus is your only judge. There is information about relationships challenges, keeping your tongue, what your mind is thinking and how Satan can seep into all of these areas. She talks about how to fight these battles and how to find God in places you never thought of.
The book is about challenges of faith and fortitude. Your life in this world is a struggle but the reward at the end of it all is eternal life as long as you follow His commands.
The author talks about reading the bible, prayer and journaling but not so you can have a to do list to check off, she explains its place and its value. She also explains about really sitting down an talking to God on a personal level. Sometimes you have to wait for His answer and sometimes it just happens. She references many personal experiences as well as scripture where prayer has assisted situations and where patience was tested.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with there walk with Christ as well as anyone who feels they are going through the motions of being a Christian.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2010
I received "Becoming More" as a promotional gift from the publisher. The title intrigued me and I threw it in my bag as I packed for a New Year's getaway. I devoured this book on my trip. LysaTerkeurst examines the life of many (including herself) who want to honor God but struggle with emotions, overcommitment , identity, self talk, prayer, relationships and other lifestyle issues. Becoming More is realistic. Lysa's approach is honest, self-deprecating, approachable and truly relevant. She draws you into her life where we see reflections of ourselves. Lysa connects our dilemmas with Biblical instruction and brings deep and practical answers to our needs and questions.
Becoming More is completely useful. It is real, raw, Biblical and fun. We can see ourselves on the pages and find hope and solutions for our struggles. I immediately ordered the complementary DVD and Participants Guide (from Amazon) for a group discussion of Becoming More. Our group begins in April and I can't wait to share this dynamic book and Bible study with friends and family. Thank you for a wonderful tool. I have referred to this book weekly since reading it and highly recommend it to any woman. (BTW, I have never reviewed a book but took the time because I want others to know how beneficial this one is!)
0Comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2009
Do you ever feel like something is missing from your walk with God? Have you ever wondered if there is more to being a Christian than just church as usual? Do you go to Bible Study after Bible Study but feel like the same old insecure-striving-for-love-and-attention-losing-your-cool-over-little-things you? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then I highly recommend Lysa's newest book.

Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl is a treasure trove of Lysa's signature sparkling wit mixed with her transparency and deep love for the Lord. In this book she invites us to dare to live a life of total abandon for God. Lysa tackles the question that many wonder but few dare to ask...."Does Jesus really work?". With funny and touching stories from her own life, Lysa is able to answer that question with a resounding YES!

And don't worry...this is not one of those books that will make you walk away feeling guilty for all of the things you are not doing "right" in your walk with God. Personally, after reading anything Lysa writes I feel both encouraged and challenged. I walk away hungering for more of God! Okay...and sometimes I walk away holding my aching sides from laughing so hard. She's wise, and she's a hoot!!!
0Comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having grown up in the church as a Pastor's Kid, I had gotten into the habit of just talking the "Bible study talk", and not really owning the lessons or ideas that make my relationship with Christ grow and become more intimate. This book really hit me between the eyes. It helped me look at passages in a new way and think about the idea that no matter how many times I've heard that particular passage! Lysa steps outside of the Christian Cliche' catch phrases and challenged me to take a step back and look at my own insecurities that have caused me to simply give the "Sunday School" answer when thinking about my relationship with Christ. This is a great study for people who have become a bit jaded by the idea of church or who, like me, have so often felt that because they've "already heard that" it just couldn't mean that much. After reading this book, I have found that I should always allow God's word to penetrate my spirit because you never know when something you've heard a million times may stir the Holy Spirit in you to make the change that can help you be a true example of Christ's Love and Salvation!
on June 30, 2011
I look forward to my walks every morning with this audio book. Lysa reads her own words very well and I enjoy her narration. There is a lot of substance to this book and she doesn't shy away from those innermost raw feelings we have, particularly as the pertain to women. Jealously, envy, hurtful words, gossip, and praising God in the middle of a hurtful e-mail carry as much weight as going on a trip with Compassion International or grieving over the death of her sibling. I like that. I like that a lot and that's what keeps me listening. It's often those relationship struggles that people tell you to just "get over" that Lysa has found a way to grow from. I am learning how to grow from the tiniest of irritations and in the end finding there is more love than I thought I could hold. This is my favorite inspirational book I have read because of the topics she addresses and uses her own life as an example, not just quoting scriptures, but applying them.

This is not a theology book. This is a book by a woman, for women.
on October 28, 2014
In Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl, Lysa Terkeurst instructs her readers to become more than a good bible study girl by personally experiencing God's presence. While it may not be clear to many readers, what Terkeurst is saying is that we can know and experience God beyond His Word. She wants us to become more than good bible study girls. We do that by beginning to experience Him. When we stop and wait, He will reveal himself to us. We will be able to have a more meaningful relationship with God. Our bible study will come alive as we hear from him. Our prayer life will come alive as we sense God responding to our prayers. We will grow in love with Him as we experience Him in our daily lives.

She fills the book with personal stories that are very moving. She then presents God as deeply in love with us and desiring to invite us into a more intimate setting (150). The "only requirements are the desire to experience Him and the belief that it is possible" (150).

The problem with what Terkeurst says is that is not biblical. First, a "desire to experience God" is not what Scripture calls us to. God calls us to repentance. Second, the Bible clearly teaches that while general knowledge of God can be learned from nature (Ps. 19) specific knowledge comes only from the Word. Third, what Terkeurst is teaching is what is called mysticism. It is an approach that is not taught in Scriptures nor in nearly all the church's history. It is an approach that was expressly rejected by the reformers. As the Westminster Confession states "The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men.." (Chp. I, VI). Theologians call it Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone). We are not to look to other revelations or impressions to guide us.

What Terkeurst argues for is what she learned from the teachings of Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God (179). While neither Blackaby nor his followers would explicitly devalue Scripture, they implicitly do by clearly emphasizing that true knowledge of, and experience with, God comes apart from it. The end result is a devaluation of Scripture and an elevation of personal experience. Yet God's Word is clear (Ps. 19, 119) in that we are to become good bible study girls (and boys) for the Word is the means God uses to bring us to salvation (Rom. 10) and to make us more like Christ (John 17:17).

While she references Scripture throughout the book, and sometimes accurately; Terkeurst also makes numerous errors throughout the book. She frequently ignores context thereby missing the actual meaning of the passage (e.g. Mt 11:28-30, Heb. 12:1-2, Mark 12:30-31, Mt. 13:33-35; 5:8, etc.) and even worse teaches what is clearly contrary to it. She should also know better than to interpret passages by taking the definition of the English words rather than the original Greek or Hebrew.

Terkeurst is clearly an engaging writer that many women would enjoy reading; however, since what she teaches is contrary to sound doctrine, I would not recommend the book. May I suggest MacArthur's book Found: God's Will, Phillip Jensen's Guidance and the Voice of God, or DeYoung's Just Do Something.

note: I am a male, and an elder in a local church. The book was recommended at a study my wife participated in.
0Comment20 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2009
Are you tired of the "same ole" type Bible Study books? I know I am. I have read a boat load of them. When I picked up this book to look at I wondered what it had that was different than all the other books in this genre that I have read.

For one thing, Lysa Terkeurst and her book, Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl, gives a fresh look at approaching a close relationship with God. It was refreshing to see that someone else was tired of the "spiritual check list/to do list" of being a "good Christian".

Lysa opens her life up in ways that show the reader that hunger for God does not require a perfect life or perfect actions in order for God to fold you close to His heart. The tone is open. For example, a few of the chapter titles say it all: "But I Want What She Has", "Beyond Sunday Morning", "When I Feel That I Don't Measure Up"... These are real feelings that most of us have felt.

You will not be sorry you read this book. It will cause you to look at your motives and your life in ways that most devotional books don't. Lysa, I would like to thank you for everything you have put into this work. God bless you.

Elaine Littau
author of Nan's Journey & Elk's Resolve
Our Women's Bible Study group is going through this study right now. We are so enjoying the study - Lysa's "realness" and her ability to communicate her ideas in a cohesive, and often comical, way! We can definitely relate to her - and we're a very diverse group!
I highly recommend this study!
on July 21, 2010
The DVD is practical, inspiring, and we can all relate to the scenarios Lysa presents to help us understand, and live the life God has so graciously offered each of us--even on those days we feel like screaming!