4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little movie
Published on November 26, 2005 by scrappy

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I've seen the movie and found it enjoyable. I don't watch a movie expecting it to be fabulous every time. If I walk away from it feeling good,I view it a success. For the movie critics who do it for a living, too much time is spent analyzing and I find myself disagreeing with their opinion quite often. For ordinary folk like me, I watch a movie to escape and be...
Published on November 16, 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little movie, November 26, 2005
scrappy (Western USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
Like others have mentioned, this movie is sweet, sentimental, has a nice soundtrack, and it deals with people scarred by life who find each other. Is it groundbreaking? No. But its value lies in its sweet sentimentality. It's an escapist movie and it makes you feel warm & fuzzy inside. Frankly, with so many dismal movies out there, or movies that show the destructive side of human nature (violence, dysfunction, etc), I don't mind have a movie in my collection that makes me feel good every time I watch it. This film does that. Also, it is a different genre than romantic comedies (e.g., any movie with Meg Ryan in it); there is a little comedy in this film, but its focus is on the healing power that love and companionship offer, which offers its "feel good" punch. Ignore the professional movie critics who were tough on the sentimentality of this film. This is a keeper because it offers a nice escapist, and positive, experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bed of Roses, March 20, 2008
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
I have never been a huge fan of Christian Slater, but this movie changed my opinion of him. He stars in this charming, heartwarming drama with Mary Stuart Masterson. Christian plays Lewis, a florist that has pretty much dropped out of life. Mary plays Lisa, an executive that does nothing but work. On the surface it doesn't appear they have much in common, but we later learn that he used to be in the fast track until fate robbed him of his family. They are both broken people that hope to heal each other.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching Love Story For Those Who Enjoy Old Style Romance, May 19, 2007
Simon Davis (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
If you are like me and love both romance and beautiful flowers and believe that somehow the two should always really go together then the low profile and little talked about love story "Bed of Roses", is an essential viewing experience. Starring a perfectly teamed Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterton as two seemingly ill matched individuals who find love together and learn alot about themselves in the process this drama could be seen by the cynical in this day an age as being hopelessly "old fashioned". However its charm and especially its very definite message of excepting people with all their faults and weaknesses as the unique individuals they are is truly timeless. Often dismissed as simply another "chick flick" (God I hate that term!) this is one of my favourite "romance" dramas that is ideal for members of both sexes and I find a viewing of it tends to revitalise the spirit and renew hope that real love does exist out there. Visually it is a beautiful looking film ideal for watching with a special someone containing as it does numerous shots of the most beautiful flowers imaginable and many interesting shots of New York during the Christmas season sure to create a good feeling in those watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare and beautiful love story., June 25, 2001
This review is from: Bed of Roses [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I can not say enough about "Bed of Roses." I would give this 10 stars if I could. Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson were born to play Lewis and Lisa. There's nothing fake about this story. What's so appealing is that this story could happen to anybody. It's about a flower shop owner named Lewis Farrell(played by Slater) who while on one of his nightly walks comes upon a woman standing at her window crying. Feeling sorry for her he follows her to work the next morning and finds out her name is Lisa Walker(played by Masterson).So he pretends to be a delivery boy delivering her flowers. He leaves the card blank because he doesn't want her to know it was him who sent her the flowers. Wanting to know who sent them, Lisa looks on the card and sees where they came from. So she goes to the shop the next day and asks to speak with the person who delivered the flowers. They tell her where to find Lewis, and she goes to talk to him. Well Lewis refuses to tell her who bought them. So she walks away from him, and the next morning he sees her outside the flower shop. He invites her to breakfast and he finally reveals to her that it was he who bought them. Well they start seeing each other,but what Lewis doesn't know is that Lisa has a secret from her past that has left her scard,and afraid to let anyone get close to her. What Lisa doesn't know is that Lewis has a secret of his own. Lisa finds herself falling hopelessly in love with him, but she has built a invisable wall between herself and her emotions because she feels she is unworthy of recieving his love. So she breaks the relationship off, but she learns that she can't live without him, and that life is all about taking chances, and letting go. So she shows up on his doorstep one day with his favorite flowers, and asks him to take her back. As the movie ends and the picture fades you see them in each others arms. I recommend this movie to anyone who believes that anything is possible, and that together any obstacle can be faced.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Everyone is entitled to a little too much perfection", October 9, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Bed of Roses [VHS] (VHS Tape)
At the time that this movie was in theaters, I didn't really want to see it, so I didn't. I later rented it on one of those nights where I needed a feel good romance.
Bed of Roses was that and a lot more. Christian Slater was amazing as a very rare male romantic, and Mary Stuart Masterson was also endearing as his love interest.
The only downfall was the trite script, but that was more than made up for by the wonderful acting, and the beautiful idea of the story.
It makes you really think about what love is really all about.
For a wonderful romantic movie that gives you a reason to go out and look for that special someone, see Bed of Roses.
Everyone really is entitled to a little too much perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Romance, February 20, 2003
"karenzpanickd" (Lake Charles, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
I couldn't disagree with the Amazon.com review more!! I think both Slater & Masterson were wonderful in this movie. Face it; most of us have been hurt in this life, and a great deal of us NEED saving! This is a modern-day Cinderella story, about two people who've both suffered in one way or another, and come together, each helping to heal the other. What could possibly be wrong with that? Fine...it's sentimental, some parts are a bit of a stretch, but, what do you expect?? It's a MOVIE, and what do you watch a movie for? To be removed from yourself for a while, and "live" someone else's life. And if the story lifts us up at the end, then I say, "Well done!" The music is outstanding; if you like the movie, buy the soundtrack. There are only two disappointments on the soundtrack..."Killing Time" and "Nervous Heart" are jarring and don't go with the rest of the music, and the song "Insensitive" is not on it, and definitely should be. The instrumental parts are wonderful; it's like watching the movie all over again every time you listen to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, tearjerking romance I'd reccommend to everyone, April 9, 2004
Sweetheart414 (Willow Grove, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
(...) This film is a wonderful, emotional love story that surpasses all others in the same category as it because it has depth and real emotion. The actors/actresses are wonderful and portray their characters perfectly. The film has just the right balance of romance, drama, comedy, and it leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy inside. It has a beautiful soundtrack, one in which the music carries you away and make you feel like you're floating in the clouds. With the realistic, believable characters, emotional drama, and beautiful music this film seemed, to me, to be kind of a melancholoy love story that I couldn't have enjoyed more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Needs A Little Romance!, December 30, 1999
This review is from: Bed of Roses [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I was absolutely taken with this movie. I think Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson were both good in emphasizing the personalities of their roles, and even though, at times, the script can have some flaws, I really enjoyed this romantic comedy. It will make you laugh and cry-thats a guarantee :o) I don't think I've ever seen a better romantic comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a GREAT movie., July 5, 1999
This review is from: Bed of Roses (DVD)
As a guy who prides himself on being a romantic and a true gentleman, I get tired of hearing that "all men are dogs." We have received this reputation deservedly though. And it hurts men like me who are just good old fashioned "nice guys." Anyways, my point is that this movie should be a requirement for all men to watch. Christian Slater portrays everything that a man should be: sensitive, caring, down-to-earth, respectful, and giving. Every time I watch this movie, I gain more strength and surety in being a man who knows how to treat woman properly. It's a shame that more of us men aren't the type of man Slater's character is. Slater's character alone elevates this movie to greatness, but there's more to this movie than just a great guy. It's a tremendous "feel good" movie that will encourage you and maybe even rekindle your flame of romance that may have begun to fade.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best romantic movies ever, November 17, 2000
This review is from: Bed of Roses [VHS] (VHS Tape)
In a way I don't know why I like this movie so much... nothing much happens, really. But sometimes these kinds of movies are the best - they kind of just have a certain mood about them, and of course, in this case, a great chemistry between the two lovers, Lewis and Lisa.
Christian Slater's Lewis is not hard to fall in love with, as he admits to a tragedy in his past that changed him into a better man. Aa[...] Lisa's childhood had not been the best, which adds a nice dose of psychological disturbance to endanger their unique relationship.
As soon as the movie ended, I wanted to see it again! It is sweet, it is simple, and it is mine on video!

Bed of Roses
Bed of Roses by Michael Goldenberg (DVD - 1999)
$5.97 $4.99