4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a keeper for Skye O'Malley Fans!!!
I have been eagerly awaiting this book, and it was not a disappointment. This book is definitely a sequel and I am really looking forward to the next book which I hope will detail Fortune's return to Ireland.
Published on May 25, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous works
Published on September 10, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a keeper for Skye O'Malley Fans!!!, May 25, 1999
By A Customer
I will agree that the plot did not have as many twists and turns, nor was the story as in depth as some of her other Skye O'Malley books-but it was nice. Surprisingly enough, it only involved one husband. I was a bit surprised she stopped it before the execution of Charles I, but she does a good job setting up for it (again hopefully in the next novel). Sometimes I thought Jemmie Leslie a bit too much like his father, Jasmine a bit weaker than she had been, and India an overall brat-but with the number of years that had transpired? Again-it is a nice story.
If you want to read and understand this book, I fully recommend the following books in THIS order-The Kadin, Love Wild and Fair, then- Skye O'Malley, All the Sweet Tomorrows, A Love For All Time, This Heart of Mine, Lost Love Found, Wild Jasmine, Darling Jasmine and then Bedazzled. This should bring you up to date on both the O'Malley clan and the Leslies interspersed throughout both sets of books, give you a wonderful sense of this historic period as well as make you a fan of this epic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous works, September 10, 1999
By A Customer
What can be said about the descendents of Skye O'Malley? Interesting,but lacking the fire of our beloved herione Skye. I enjoyed this book but did find it somewhat predictable and no where near as good as the first Skye books. I could not beleive that Jasmine and James have turned into such uptight adults! This James Leslie would never had hunted down Jasmine and married her as he did in the earlier book! India is prissy and annoying and I find it hard to believe she is the same hoyden child from the last book! I honestly think it is time to give Skye and company a honourable burial and let them be remembered as exciting, not dull! For pure reading enjoyment I say that Love Wild and Fair,Adora,Beloved and The Spitfire are some of Ms. Small's best books. Read this only if you have followed Skye from the very beginning,otherwise leave it on the shelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bedazzled, January 24, 2000
Although it was not Ms. Small's best work, I still found the book to be a worthwhile read. My biggest complaint (if there needs to be one) was that the author seemed to drop quite a bit of names, which any reader just coming into the "Skye's Legacy" series would not know. The book should be able to stand on its own; I think it wouldn't be able to unless you had previously read the other books in the saga first. With that said, I believe the character of Jasmine SHOULD be pale in this story, because it is not her story, its India's. I liked this book enough that I will consider reading the next book in the series; all signs point to the next book being written about India's little sister, Fortune. Now SHE seems to have the family fire that keeps us reading! However, if one more family member gets captured and "imprisoned" (some torture, huh?) in an Eastern harem...well, who knows? I'll probably read it anyway!

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, June 25, 1999
By A Customer
That's what BEDAZZLED is if you're hoping for a romance with a credible historical backdrop. Although Ms. Small commented extensively on the religious situation in 17th century England and North Africa, it is obvious that she had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. It was frustrating beyond belief to find 20th century indifferentist platitudes in the mouths of 17th century characters. It was obvious that Ms. Small was simply superimposing her own indifferentist beliefs over her sympathetic characters and turning those characters who actually believed in their respective religions into fools. At one point, on a different matter, Caynan Reis tells India, "Do not judge what you do not understand." Ms. Small should take her own advice.
Beyond that, James Leslie's behavior was absolutely appalling. And this jerk was supposed to have been a hero of another of Small's books? What kind of "hero" steals his daughter's child hours after the baby's birth and tells his daughter he did it for her own good??? And Jasmine? What kind of mother allows her husband to hurt her child this way? As I assume she had her own money, she could have given India enough to travel to England and establish her household rather than allow her husband to spirit away their grandchild, an action which she of all people should have known would drive India to the brink of insanity.
Then there's Deverall Leigh. For the most part I liked him, but wouldn't a true hero have tried harder to insure his brother's safety on the galley ship and not forgotten to release him after a couple of months of punishment? Wouldn't a true hero have at least tried to talk to India *before* automatically assuming she had betrayed his love? He certainly had opportunity to do so. So why didn't he? And why would he take the advice of a stepmother who had betrayed him and use that advice as the basis of his actions toward other women? After all, the woman had already proven herself untrustworthy! Why should he now put his trust in anything else she said???
Finally, why does Ms. Small emphasize her words so much? It seems that there is hardly a page that goes by without the unnecessary overuse of italics to emphasize words. Italics should be used sparingly... the overuse of them is annoying.
Forget this book. It's not worth it. If you want a Small book where the heroine ends up with the original hero and does not marry multiple husbands, try LOVE, REMEMBER ME.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical plot line, but still a good story, July 27, 2000
This review is from: Bedazzled (Mass Market Paperback)
The inevitable "kidnapped-and-sold-into-a-harem" theme once again, which seems to be a fate which befalls many of Skye O'Malley's descendants! I am however glad that the heroine India, actually got to stay with the man she loved in the end. That he did not die, or that she was married off to someone else after her return was refreshing, since most of the women in The series are ripped away from the men they love. I was however shocked that Jasmine was so weak in this book, and that she allowed her husband to take India's child away from her. This is not the Jasmine we have come to know, however the storyline regarding the child did add to the suspense towards the end. Overall I throughly enjoyed the book, as I do all of Ms. Small's works, and look forward to reading Beseiged, and whatever else is in store!

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe deserves a second look., May 26, 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedazzled (Mass Market Paperback)
This was probably one of my least favorites by Bertrice Small. I am usually very pleased with her books. Her writing style is as always very well done. Her characters are lively and vibrant. Her descriptions are amazingly detailed. I did not care for the character of India Lindley at all. I also did not care for James and Jasmine in this book either. However, I did read this book again (as I usually do with Bertrice Small books) and realized that it wasn't quite as bad as I originally thought. Despite the disappointment with a couple of the characters, I was still enthralled and enchanted by Mrs. Small's writing overall and while angry about some of the occurances in the book, I was nonetheless pulled into the story. For those of you who are die hard Bertrice Small fans, take a second look before you give up on this book altogether.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bedazzled, January 1, 2000
Of all the Skye O'Malley series written by Ms. Small this one paled compared to the others. India the firstborn daughter of Jasmine is less than what I expected from a descendant of Skye. Where is the fire we have come to expect from the O'Malley ladies? Not only is India lacklustre so is her male counterpart, Deverall. If your a diehard Skye fan you'll be disappointed in this tale, but it's a quick read. My next question is whatever happened to the dynamic,royal-born Jasmine. No longer feisty she is a major disappointment to lovers of the O'Malley women. Nice try but not up to snuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars WASTE OF MONEY!, August 14, 1999
I've just about given up on Ms. Small. The Kadin is still one of my favorite books but each book since then has dropped in quality ending with this drivel. I didn't like James Leslie in Wild Jasmine, disliked him more in Darling Jasmine and now hate his guts in this book. India is a whiny contemtible snot and her mother has lost any spirit she had (probably due to being married to James Leslie) SPARE YOURSELF AND DON'T BUY IT!

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufferable, August 23, 2000
This review is from: Bedazzled (Mass Market Paperback)
A spoiled, petulant woman and a manipulative man...is it the heroine's parents, or the heroine and the hero? Apparently it doesn't much matter. The only reason I'm giving this two stars is so that I can give a single star to its sequel, Besieged.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, May 18, 1999
By A Customer
In the early seventeenth century, teenager India Lindley elopes with Adrian Leigh, Viscount Twyford, a noble her father scorns. However, before the duo can marry in Italy, Barbery pirates from the state of El Sinut capture their ship.
New York Times best selling author Bertrice Small continues the romantic adventures of the Skye O'Malley descendants with the well-written tale of India, the first of a new trilogy. The story line is trademark Ms. Small with an enjoyable historical erotica romance that includes female sex slavery in an exotic locale. Fans of the author and anyone who has never tasted one of her novels, will gain immense pleasure from BEDAZZLED. However, there is nothing new to the story line that Ms. Small has not previously said in her previous O'Malley novels, a fact that will leave some readers bored with the tale.

Harriet Klausner

Bedazzled
Bedazzled by Bertrice Small (Paperback - July 1, 2007)
$14.00 $11.53