4.0 out of 5 stars Titles Can Be The Hardest Part...
Published on August 3, 2011 by I. Zawilski

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad
Published on September 4, 2011 by Kathy O'Gorman

4.0 out of 5 stars Titles Can Be The Hardest Part..., August 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The premise of this book is that a married couple and their young daughter move into a surprisingly affordable apartment in New York. Almost from the day they move in, odd things begin to happen, most of which are only apparent to the wife, Susan. The story is told from her point of view. Susan is an aspiring artist who obtained a law degree, apparently at the urgings of her family. She had been employed in a law firm prior to the beginning of the story, but she and her husband agreed she would quit in order to pursue her artistic dreams. Her husband, Alex, put aside his own artistic ambitions to operate a catalog photography business with a partner, in order to support the family. The business is struggling and there is stress in the marriage, especially after the expensive move.

Most of the strange activity in the apartment seems to be centered in a small "bonus" room that Susan uses as an art studio. The sole artwork she produces is a portrait of one of the previous tenants, people she only knows only from a photograph she found. These tenants were a couple who, according to the elderly landlady, vanished without paying their rent. The landlady, who lives downstairs, is accommodating and friendly. The almost equally elderly "handyman" is by turns kindly, threatening, and a bit dull; although he tells Susan he retired as assistant principal at a local school.

Susan comes to believe that the apartment is infested with bedbugs and that she has been bitten. Her husband and her daughter do not see or experience anything. Even when the highly recommended, and slightly oddball, exterminator finds nothing after an extensive examination, Susan continues to insist that the bugs are there. (I need to note somewhere, and it might as well be here, that I didn't find Susan to be an especially sympathetic character, even before her alarming personality change.) The bedbug obsession grows and Susan's grip on reality loosens until the ultimate confrontation with evil near the end of the book.

The first half of this novel was a real page turner, with great atmosphere. Somewhere around the middle, the wheels started to come off. It's hard to explain why I think so, but I just didn't enjoy the second half nearly as much. It seemed forced. Also, in a novel like this, I would expect to be left guessing at the end as to what was real and what was imaginary, or supernatural. This one spelled most of it out. When the mystery was revealed, it rang false to me. I can't explain why without massive spoilers, and I'm not sure I could articulate it anyway.

So, not a terrible book. The author definitely can write. It's a moderately short book (I finished it in an afternoon) and worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and Gripping.... Don't Read This In Bed!, September 6, 2011
Indolent (Ohio, USA/London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedbugs (Paperback)
A young couple, Susan and Alex Wendt, and their toddler daughter Emma move into a new and seemingly perfect apartment in Brooklyn, and life is good. Or at least, life should be good, but things very quickly start to take a turn for the creepy and the icky. Something is definitely not right, but... what is it?

The story is set against a backdrop of a New York City in the grip of a serious bedbug problem. That would be the real New York City, by the way. Here in Cincinnati, Ohio, we have the dubious honor of being the "bedbug capital of the US", and so I know only too well what it's like seemingly never to go a day without hearing or reading some story about how the situation is getting worse, how the hotels, the libraries, the schools, have become breeding grounds and hideouts for the disgusting, blood-sucking little parasites. It's enough to make even the most well-balanced person a little bit paranoid.

Thing is, this book's central character, Susan, shows signs right from the beginning of maybe being a little unbalanced and paranoid, as well as not an especially easy character to like. She's introduced as a former lawyer who gave up working eighteen months prior to the start of the story in order to "concentrate on her art", employing the services of a nanny six hours a day to look after her daughter while she paints, although she hasn't actually got around to doing any painting yet. Susan seems to pretty much loathe the nanny, a pleasant, easygoing graduate student whose character she makes plenty of unpleasant and unsubstantiated judgements about. At one point Susan arrives home from one of her forays into the neighborhood to find Emma bawling inconsolably because of the traumatic experience of having an old black man speak to her. Susan, rational human being that she is, is furious with the nanny for allowing her charge to be put in such mortal peril, and sends her home for the day in disgrace, chalking this incident up among the poor girl's many other "offenses". She is also constantly anxious that her husband, Alex, is secretly angry with and resentful of her for giving up work only to become a slacker when she has the luxury of being able to paint full-time. Alex himself is a photographer and Susan recognizes that he would love the opportunity to go back to taking "real" photos, were it not for the wife and daughter he has to support singlehandedly in their expensive new digs. It seems Alex is worried about the couple's finances, so what does Susan do? Oh yeah, she throws in his face that if the worst comes to the worst she can be working and earning three times what he is by the following week. Nice, huh?

OK, so I think we've established that Susan isn't a character I felt any great warmth towards, and also that she may be a little on the hysterical and flaky side. But that's half the point, I think. Within days of moving into their new Brooklyn brownstone, the Wendts start to suspect they may have a bedbug problem. But do they? Or is it something more? The story starts to get progressively darker and weirder as it shifts from an ordinary enough tale of family tribulations to something more sinister by far, but the reader is left wondering what's real, what's not real, and what's an exaggeration on the part of the neurotic Susan, whose sanity seems to be unravelling further with every page turn.

There's not really much more that I can say without venturing into spoiler territory, so I will wrap it up here, but I'll finish by saying that this is a very well-written and well-paced book, with a creeping sense of unease that gradually builds into outright horror. I pretty much read the entire thing in bed last night between the hours of midnight and 6am, night owl that I am. In retrospect, I would definitely advise against this approach, as if there is one place you do NOT want to read this book, it is in your bed. Now excuse me while I just go burn all my sheets. I may just have to sleep on the couch tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, Crawly, Chilling, Thrilling, August 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great read. Especially if you are a fan of books where an innocent couple moves into a too good to be true home and the husband works while the wife stays home and unpacks and takes care of the kids and discovers strange happenings. I love them. But there is something for everyone in this dark novel especially readers who enjoy a well written thriller with a hint of horror.

The Wendts, Alex and Susan, find the perfect brownstone in Brooklyn from a Craigslist ad. It's owned by a somewhat charming elderly landlady named Andrea who takes a liking to them. The couple decide to move into the home where their toddler Emma will finally have a room of her own. Alex is a photographer who owns a business, and his wife, Susan is an artist. She plans on painting in the small well-lit bonus room. Things are exceptionally great at first. They have a sitter who watches Emma during the day and Susan runs errands and fixes up the place while Alex works and helps out the best he can at home and the family enjoys the idyllic location which is close to shopping and historical New York landmarks.

There is also talk of bedbugs. People seem to dread the unwanted insects and they are a horror to get out of the house. Rumor has it that hotels have closed for fumigation and people have moved to rid themselves of the pests. Extermination can work, but sometimes, the bedbugs come back. Susan learns more about the dreaded infestations on the internet when she suspects that she has been bitten. She believes the culprit is a bedbug, and things begin to go a little off kilter.

A recommended exterminator gives the place a clean bill of health, but it doesn't help Susan's fears. She becomes consumed with the thought of bugs, and she starts to have horrible dreams. Also mysterious is the couple who used to own the apartment who left without paying their last month's rent. Susan finds a mysterious picture of the couple stashed away in a window sil. The handyman, Louis, tells her about them.

This is a fun read. You'll probably stay up late, if you dare, into the night because you won't be able to put it down. It will be a great book to read when the chilly weather of Autumn rolls in. This book is smooth, polished, and very well done. It's a creepy escape that you're going to love.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEDBUGS, November 8, 2011
Bedbugs by Ben H Winters

I was a little hesitant about reading this because I wasn't sure how
bedbugs could be creepy but I was proven wrong.

I was immediately drawn into this story. What captivated me most were the
characters.

Susan Wendt, a stay at home mom to her daughter Emma, decided that her
family needed a bigger place to live. After looking at a few locations they
settle on an apartment with more space and a great monthly payment. What
seems like a dream come true soon becomes an aberration after Susan
discovers what she thinks are bedbugs in the apartment. Susan is likeable even though her fears make her so vulnerable that we question her ability to know reality from what is in her mind yet she doesn't waiver about her allegations and stays strong in trying to keep her family safe.

Alex, Susan's husband, works a lot to provide for the increase in rent. He
is very supportive of Susan. He balances out Susan's rash personality by being the voice of calm.

Andrea the landlady is an elderly widower who aims to please. Andrea needs
help maintaining the property so she hires her friend Louis. Andrea is most interesting because there is that something you can't put your finger on and she provides the mystery element in this suspense novel.

These casts of characters all have their attributes which adds momentum to
the storyline.

The plot moved along at a fast pace with some twists, some you don't see coming and that really makes this
a pretty good suspense thriller. I really enjoyed reading Bedbugs and I
look forward to Ben Winters' future releases.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, September 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like a good thriller, and although I didn't have huge hopes for this one from the title, it was intriguing. I picked it up and thought I'd read a little while before going to sleep. This was at ten. At one, I'm still reading. It helped that it had short chapters, and each one ends with a little cliffhanger, so you want to keep reading. But it was very much like a bad B horror movie without much horror, although it did have it's moments. I actually enjoyed the first half more, and then had to force myself to finish it because the last half seemed sort of repetitive at times.
This young woman convinces her husband that they need to make a move to another apt at the very time his business is struggling and they can't afford it. Then she slowly is convinced they made a horrible mistake, but move again? When they couldn't afford the first move? It puts her in an "I'm trapped here" situation. Some of the action is predictable. So if this review sounds like I'm undecided on whether I liked this or not, I'll say this. It's not great fiction, but it's good enough to read in bed on a stormy night and keep your interest. Especially if one of your major creepy phobias is any kind of creepy crawlers and creepy landladies.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Bedbugs (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the reviews that told me I'd be squirming in my bed all night. This book had no such impact on me. It was boring and obvious. The downspiral into madness Susan supposedly took, happened way too fast for it to be believable at all. The end was so obvious it made it painful to finish the book. I was happy with the ending. I mean, the end. When the book was over, and I didn't have to read it any more.

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the most unlikable characters, March 16, 2014
This review is from: Bedbugs (Kindle Edition)
I don't mind an unlikable character, if i am suppose to dislike them. In bedbugs we are suppose to feel for Susan, but how? She's obnoxious, complains constantly, bullies her husband and neglects her supposed work as an artist - all before her problems start so that I was hoping she'd be swallowed whole by a bedbug. Had she been a likeable woman, I'd have been rooting for her but she had no where to fall. She was already a mess. The daughter is no better and Alex the husband isn't fleshed out enough for me to get involved with him. This book is seriously lacking in character and I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid thriller, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Bedbugs (Paperback)
I don't understand multiple reviews that contain plot descriptions; doesn't Amazon already have that covered? Either way, I enjoyed the HELL (bad pun intended) out of this book. I'm an old Stephen King fan from way back, and even more so than Rosemary's Baby or other 70's horror books, this reminded me of classic SK. While there are a few unresolved issues, I didn't feel the ending was harsh, rushed or too ambiguous - I hate having to guess but I also don't need to be force-fed. I picked this up at a used book sale for two bucks, but wouldn't have minded paying full price. And yes, I'm still itching a little. I should say too that product placement doesn't bother me either, but I'm also a fan of Bret Easton Ellis, so maybe I'm immune. The iPhone plays a prominent roll, but that just solidifies the atmosphere, time and place. Highly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A creeptacular story that'll make your skin crawl!, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Bedbugs (Paperback)
Bedbugs is a creepy little thriller set in New York, where we follow the story of Susan Wendt. She and her husband, Alex, are on the hunt for a new (not to mention bigger) apartment. When Susan falls in love with the apartment they view at 56 Cranberry Street (and Alex with the low rent) - they just have to take it.

In almost no time at all, strange things begin happening. Strange 'ping' noises coming from seemingly everywhere and nowhere, odd happenings in Susan's art studio, and unidentified spots on her pillow.

A bedbug epidemic of sorts has been going around the city. Susan's mind automatically jumps to this conclusion, only no one else seems to see what she sees. Is she just stressed? Is she going crazy? Either way, Susan begins to research bedbugs and it soon becomes an all-consuming obsession.

Eventually, Susan can't even distinguish delusion from reality, and begins to believe that the badbugs are after her specifically, and that it may be more than just your average infestation.

Bedbugs was a seriously creepy. It sent shivers up my spine. You just never knew whether there was a haunting, whether Susan was simply delusional, or if it was some sort of monster breed of bedbugs. Honestly, my one complaint would be that even in the end, I still have no idea exactly what truly caused the strange infestation. I mean, there was definitely a conclusion to the novel, but it was not clear if the happenings were paranormal or not. I guess it's up to the reader to come to that conclusion on their own.

Alex was a likable character, so was he and Susan's daughter Emma. Just a charming little girl! Their kooky landlady, Andrea, was a weird one, as was the handyman. Susan herself was not my favorite character. There were times when I felt that she was just a selfish, selfish woman! Not to mention paranoid about a heck of a lot more than the possibility of paranormal bedbugs. Ugh!

This book was a quick read at just under 260 pages. I nice little slice of psychological horror. It kept me on the edge of my seat. The plot was paced out nicely. The freaky tidbits came in just the right increments. I definitely recommend this to readers who would enjoy a nice little horror novel that doesn't have a lot of fluff in it. It's straight to the point, and I also really loved the fact that it wasn't predictable. You really could never be sure what was going to happen. Surprise is always good. ^-^ Predictability is no fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and disturbing, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Bedbugs (Paperback)
As Susan searches for the perfect apartment, she stumbles onto the find of a lifetime.

Little does she know, the perfect apartment can be a renter's night-mare.

Winters' Bedbugs is the most insane paranormal thriller I've come across. The intensity of Susan's paranoia is gripping, yet exciting. She is two shakes from the nut house at times, but manages to straddle the line of sanity. I was literally on the edge of my seat, blindly scratching as the bug infestation went from one lone bug to hordes of disgusting, bloodsucking, creepy-crawly ickeyness. To tell you the truth, I tried to read this one in bed and found myself back in the living room; there's just no way I could read about bedbugs while in bed. No way! The ending was completely unexpected. I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

I love a really intense horror and there's nothing better than adding a realistic quality to the story. Bedbugs is an instant favorite, as it incorporates the true meaning of the horror genre. Bedbugs definitely raises the creep factor as the story progresses, giving you the feeling that you're in the apartment with Susan as she experiences the bedbugs. You immediately get that chill down your spine and turn the page, begging for more.

Ben Winters tells an exciting tale that will surely be a favorite among readers of horror, paranormal or realistic tales.

Bedbugs