5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful character development
Published on March 7, 2012 by Historicalfictionbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly well done
Published on September 22, 2012 by shadow31071

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful character development, March 7, 2012
This review is from: The Bedeviled Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is a great ebook for $2.99. I, too wondered about the quality for the price but was wrong. Gripping is the word I would use to describe this book. I was up late for two nights reading it on my Kindle and finished it on the third. The best part about the book is the character development -- particularly of Kate. Unlike the heroines in many, many other romance novels, Kate behaves as a "normal" woman would. She's full of spirit and isn't cowed by men or circumstances. She's generous to a fault and has a lovely heart. She feels no guilt over her attraction to Cameron and his cleft chin. And she's ready to have a bairn if it happens, which it does. (And more than one, as well). It's refreshing to see a book about a lively, lusty woman -- and also refreshing to read a book without intimate sex scenes. Carmen Caine gets the romantic point across quite easily. A lot of research went into this book. This was my first Scottish Highlands historical and I realized there's a lot to learn about Scotland. So anyone who loves historicals as I do should love this. One slight criticism -- I would have loved to have seen a bit more development of the secondary characters such as Kate's father and Princess Annabella. A bit more backstory would have been interesting. I look forward to the next book in the series. And Carmen Caine -- get yourself a website. You deserve it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, January 24, 2012
After only giving only one star to her previous book, The Kindling Heart, I have to say that this one was way beyond my expections! This time around the heroine was likeable and had personality. I actually cared what happened to her. I noticed that the editor's name was on the first book (Kindling Heart) as a co-author, and I wonder who actually wrote it? I would recommend The Bedeviled Heart and look forward to the two sequels coming out later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carmen has done it again!, December 22, 2011
Carmen has done it again! She takes you away on page one and before you know it you've fallen in love with Cameron and wish that Kate was your friend! Funny, exciting and romantic without being smutty. If Amazon would allow us to give more than five stars, I would! Delightful, intriguing and simply put a very well written book that I could not put down! I was so impressed with this book that I blogged about it this morning. ;o)

Thank you Carmen! Keep up the most excellent work!

Suzan Tisdale

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bedeviled Heart, January 21, 2012
This book was absolutely amazing.I was able to finish it in two days because I had to take it to work and read when no one was watching.I rarely do that but this book was just too good not to.There is nothing better than a sexy highland hotty and Cameron was all that. The romance took off from the beginning but was not boring at all. I fell in love with Cameron because he was such a humble, faithful, and kind guy. He kept his identity hid but had a good reason to. I had to gasp when Kate finally found out who he was. There was also treachery and suspense that kept you wondering. I liked that there were no explicit sex scenes. You were led that way but imagination was all you needed. I thought this book was so well written that it didnt need bedroom details. This was truly one of the best romance novels I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for a great piece of entertainment., December 25, 2011
Ach, those chiseled lips! I very much appreciated the real characters; they had a depth that came to life as actual people in my mind. I delighted in the whole "thief" misunderstanding in the beginning. A cute series, a well chiseled story... LOL... I applaud this second book in the series. The Author really captures Scottish heritage, some of it from the Ross area where my mother-in-law grew up. Five stars for a great piece of entertainment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly well done, September 22, 2012
The court intrigue and historical aspects of the story were great. The characters started out full of life and well developed but ended up lacking. I enjoyed the story overall but couldn't quite get past the drastic change in personality when Kate was faced with tragedy. While this took away from the story for me I would still recommend that other readers who enjoy historical romance give it a try as they may have a differing reaction than me and as I said overall it was enjoyable and well written, just didn't do it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ach! I couldna put it down..., February 14, 2012
This was one of those books that as the closer to the end I got, the slower I read. I didnae want it to end.

Instead of repeating what the other 5 Star reviews said, I will simply say that I totally agree with them.
And, I too, am looking forward to #3...The Daring Heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly well written...Could not put it down!!!, February 22, 2012
At the time I bought this book I was debating if I wanted it!! I love "The Kindling Heart" and had waited for this book to be released but when it came down to it I was scared I would be disappointed....how many authors write a second book as good as the first?? I am so glad I was wrong with my assumption!! The main characters are wonderful and I found my self not able to stop reading it. I dont want to go in to it a spoil it for someone with my review so all I will say is this book is fabulously written with well developed characters and a very well developed plot!!! I would recommend this book to any reader!! And once again I find myself patiently waiting for the release of the next book "The Daring Heart"! Thank you so much Carmen Caine!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LET DOWN!, July 6, 2012
SPOILERS!!! This is officially my first review. I am a huge fan of scottish romance and always base my purchases on the great reviews, good or bad, that people leave. This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to leave a review. 3/4 of the book was great! I loved the court intrigue and historical characters. The plot was very unique too! I love love love Cameron. He is the perfect hero. I liked Kate at first too. She was witty and selfless. I was proud when she was courageous enough to grab that condemning letter! It all went down hill when she was sent to the safe house and found out she was pregnant. So the bad guys come in, she sees her protector stabbed and then is "told" that her father is dead. She is to be condemned as a witch and an innocent prince is laying there bleeding. I was so afraid for her! I thought does she concoct a plan? Does she find a way to help the prince? No she does nothing! She is so traumatized she goes into permanent shock! The poor man is dying and her unborn child is danger and she does nothing!!! Her poor fractured little mind just couldn't handle the sight of a little blood and being TOLD he father was dead! That was it she gave up! Even if she was a pathetic excuse for a human being with no survival instincts, you would think she would fight for her child!! I kept waiting for her to do something. Begging her to take action all the way until the one who betrayed her saves her from herself. I was so disgusted. She didn't deserve Cameron or the baby her gave her. I know for a fact that most mothers would move heaven and earth to protect their children and she was just gonna sit there and let herself be burned to death. After that I didn't care what happened to her. As far as I was concerned she could give birth and go die somewhere so the child could be raised by a mother who was worthy. I couldn't believe the horrid turn in this great story. This was the weakest most pathetic heroine I have ever come across. So disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Historical Romance with Plenty of Court Intrigue, July 10, 2012
J. Hopkins (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Kate and Cameron are two of the most lovable characters I've met in a long time. And, set in 1479 in the court of King James III of Scotland, the plot continues to thicken.

I questioned the ease in which most of the people at court accepted Kate, a commoner, but later learned that she had better connections. Yet, it was never brought out in the novel to validate her acceptance. This was a minor detail, however, and didn't make the story any less enjoyable.

There was premartial sex, but it was not described at all, and both parties were in love with the other already. Still, I would have liked the book better without it. Regardless, I enjoyed the story so much, I couldn't rate it less than a five.