4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Disney DVDs.
Published on October 16, 2005 by takemehome

1.0 out of 5 stars great movie, TERRIBLE EDITION
I watched this movie countless times as a child, and loved it. I was excited to get it on DVD, but now that I have watched it I must say that I am very disappointed in this anniversary edition.

Published on September 11, 2007 by S. J. Montgomery

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Disney DVDs., October 16, 2005
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
In 1971, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, a film many call a Mary Poppins rip-off, premiered at Radio City Music Hall, but in a version in which nearly half an hour of footage, including full songs, was removed. For its 25th Anniversary in 1996, Disney re-inserted all of the deleted footage except for one musical number in which the picture was lost. The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences screened this in 1996, but it didn't get a theatrical release, and for years, the only way Americans could get it was either by the 1997 laserdisc release, an import of a European video, or by catching it on occasion on the Disney Channel.

Finally, in 2001, for the film's 30th Anniversary, Disney released a DVD with this extended version of the film. Restored and remastered, the film now has a clearer plot, extended musical numbers, and songs previously deleted. The brilliant "Portobello Road" number is now restored to its original running time, as well as Miss Price's response verses, titled "Don't Let Me Down" during Mr. Browne's song "Eglantine," and the previously entirely deleted songs "With A Flair" and "Nobody's Problems" are restored to the film.

The DVD is a mixed bag. The transfer is quite nice, but Lowry Digital, who did the recent Mary Poppins, Bambi, and Cinderella DVD restorations, could punch it up a little, as on occasion, I saw a bit of grain, and the occasional film artifact, especially during the closing credits and Walt Disney Pictures logo. However, this film has still never looked better on home video, so it's fine with me.

The extras could have been better. An actual making-of on the film would have been nice, including footage used in the Music Magic featurette. While that featurette does give some nice insight on the restoration, there's nothing behind-the-scenes about it except for the creation of the music score. Nothing about the effects, actors, nothing. But it's worth a look for info on the film's 1996 restoration. A larger gallery would have been nice. I do like the inclusion of the two cartoons. And of course, I'm happy to see that they have included theatrical trailers.

The best supplement, however, is the deleted song A Step In The Right Direction. That song was the catalyst that jump started this restoration project to begin with, so there's a bit of irony here in the fact that they couldn't find the footage of the song. So the supplement on the DVD, which is ported over from the 1997 laserdisc and was shown after the movie when the Disney Channel aired the restored version, is reconstructed using still photos of the scene and the original soundtrack. Hopefully one day, the footage will be found and they will be able to reinstate the number into the film, or at least they'll decide to include the photo reconstruction a la the restored version of A Star Is Born with Judy Garland.

Some have complained that there isn't an option to watch the original, shorter version due to its length and/or the poor dubbing of the voices in deleted scenes. (For much of the non-musical deleted footage, original dialogue soundtracks could not be found, so many of the deleted scenes had to be re-dubbed.) While I prefer the restored version despite the dubbing flaws, I think it would be wise of Disney to release both versions on DVD. Next year is the 35th Anniversary - maybe Disney will make a 2-disc DVD featuring both editions, with bonuses spread out on each disc, to appease all fans. Or better yet, a 3-Disc Collector's Edition, with discs 1 and 2 containing both cuts of the film and disc 3 with all the supplements. While neither edition is likely, the 2-Disc is a more likely option.

In conclusion, I can heartily recommend this DVD. The film has been lovingly restored and remastered, featuring almost all of the footage left on the cutting room floor in 1971, and features a nice handful of bonuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastically Magical Film! Bravo Angela!, October 27, 2002
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSICKS was made in the early 70's and is one of those Disney films that speaks to the little kid in us all. Directed by veteran Disney director Robert Stevenson (Mary Pippins, The Love Bug, The Darn Cat ) and starring the incomparable Angela Landsbury (Murder She Wrote, Mame - on Broadway, The Last Unicorn 2004) as Miss Elglentine Price the apprentice witch of the Professor Emiliace Brown School Of Witchcraft - played none other by veteran Disney character performer/actor David Tomlinson (Tom Jones, The Love Bug, Made In Heaven). There is even a great performance in a small role as a priest by Roddy McDowell (Planet Of The Apes, Cleopatra, Fright Night)
The story is set in the early days of the German attack on the European border. Towns were broken down, families were separated and displaced and many people had to go to war and leave their children behind. One set of these children were orphaned with Miss Price. Accidentally discovering her secret they convince her to go on her quest to find the one last spell that will save England from attack.
There is magic, music and lot of special effects that make this movie colorful and enticing to watch. Back in the days when most special effects were real and done "in cameras" - meaning on the set - this film has a lot to be proud of.
The songs are fantastic and this FULLY RESTORED DVD is the best it has to offer. Included the full versions of songs like Portabello Road and reinserted songs like No One To Come Home To has made this version a treasure to own. Other fantastic numbers like Substitutiary Locomotion and Under The Briny Sea are fantastic and hitting home for kids is the Academy Award Nominated song Your At The Age Of Not Believing.
Originally rushed out and thought to be too long - this version contains the full - over two hours - theatrical release as it was originally intended. The DVD extras include a documentary retrospective with co-host Angela Landsbury on the Sherman Brothers (Mary Poppins, ) themselves and a look at some of the actual recording sessions with David Tomlinson. Also a reconstructed seen of a song that was recorded by Angela but all the actual film footage was lost so it could not make it into its restoration version. Lots of extra features too including two shorts. You'll love this DVD if you are a Disney fan ! Lot's of Fun!...

1.0 out of 5 stars great movie, TERRIBLE EDITION, September 11, 2007
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)

A very few of the extended scenes were useful or interesting, but for the most part redundant and disappointing. They slowed the pacing and diluted the storyline and character development. The editing itself seemed poorly done as well, changing the order of some scenes. All very unneccesary.

Most distressing of all, the sound on most of the added scenes was very poor, lips out of sync, and some of the dialogue appeared to have been dubbed in (badly) by some other, unknown actors! Perhaps this was a result of unusable original recordings, but it was extremely jarring and irksome. Even worse, some of the lines from the original release (often ones that flowed into a "new" scene) were also altered. This is COMPLETELY unacceptable. (Nearly as bad as another old classic, Darby O'Gill and the Little People; the DVD version of that one that I saw appeared to have had ALL of the leprechaun king's lines dubbed over, poorly!)

I wouldn't object to having this version as long as the REAL original was also included on the disc! Why can't they let the classics BE?!? I would MUCH rather have a worn old VHS (though I must admit that *visually* this edition was nicely restored) than be constantly distracted by terrible sound quality and bad editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30th Anniversary DVD improves a classic film, March 21, 2001
"clloyd77" (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
I'm a fan of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, so I was excited to learn that a DVD edition was to be published. Now that I have seen it, I have to say that it surpassed every expectation. The film has been beautifully remastered, with great color and sound. Deleted scenes have been added back into the running of the film. I was surprised at how much was cut for the version that originally went to theaters. There are awesome special features, interviews with everyone under the sun, and a whole song cut from the film's original run. The DVD has done what I thought impossible--made me love this film even more. I don't care what the other reviewers say, I like this film more than Mary Poppins. Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson are fantastic, as are all three of the kids. If you're a fan of Disney, Angela, David, musicals, or just cool movies, this is a fantastic buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fillagy Appogy Pddegry Pedogy!, October 18, 2004
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
As a kid, I watched this movie over and over! I loved witches and still do! I also loved Mary Poppins but this is my favorite! I used to recite all the spells and try to get my broom off the ground with Nekipo Nekrifs Crumpic Leach and try to perform Substitutiary Locamotion! I'd also sing along to all the songs until my mother wanted to kill me! I still have my old Vhs version (the 3rd I had to buy becuase I had all but worn out the previous two) I didn't even know it was released on DVD until my mother got it for me two Christmases ago. I started reading the back and when I found out it was restored, I was plotzing! I now enjoy it even more than I did as a kid! So give it a try! It's fabulous! The only thing I was so sad about was that "Step In The Right Direction" was destroyed. Maybe one day they'll find a print and we'll get to see it! Another great thing is that Angela Lansbury is fresh from "Mame" and this is one of her better musical roles! So if you're an Angie fan, as I am, this is the movie for you!

1.0 out of 5 stars BLU-RAY DOES NOT INCLUDE THE EXTENDED VERSION ON THE DVD ;-(, August 6, 2014
I love this movie and was planning to purchase this Blu-ray until I read the review that Disney went cheap on this release. The original DVD release includes the extended version of this classic film...This blu-ray does not. MAJOR BUMMER.

Don't the brilliant Marketing Execs know that in order to get people to re-buy this title, they AT LEAST need to include everything that the DVD has!? It's no wonder why tangible media is going by the wayside to streaming.

You have to spend money to make $$...cheap, lazy bastards. Walt Disney is probably rolling in his grave at the company's mismanagement atrocity.

1.0 out of 5 stars HUGE disappointment on Blu-ray (UPDATE), August 12, 2014
UPDATE
To resolve confusion being caused by other reviewers: The feature on the Blu-ray disc runs one hour and fifty-seven minutes.
(Another reviewer appears to have incorrectly interpreted 1:57 as 157 minutes. It is actually 117 minutes.)
I assure everyone this is the shorter, original theatrical version, without the additional scenes that were included on previous DVD editions.

ALSO - The special features on the Blu-ray disc include a featurette entitled "Music Magic: The Sherman Brothers". This featurette is about all the scenes that were cut. The entire purpose of this featurette is to promote the restoration of these scenes back into the film and discuss the challenges encountered in the restoration process. Angela Lansbury and others speak at length about how lovely it is to be able to see the film again as originally intended. The people who worked on this project would have had to be idiots not to notice the disparity between the version of the movie promoted in the bonus materials (if anybody had actually watched them) and the actual version of the movie on the disc. Having worked for Disney Home Entertainment myself, this is not entirely surprising.

In my review earlier today, I wrote:
I am stunned at the botched job Disney has done with the Blu-ray release of this magical film. When it was released on DVD a few years ago, it included the restoration of addition musical sequences that had been cut for the original theatrical release. The running time was 139 minutes. Even the earlier laserdisc edition contained the 139 minute version of the film. I was looking very forward to upgrading to Blu-ray, expecting the film would look spectacular on Blu-ray. Sadly, Disney made the poor decision of releasing only the original 117 minute version of the feature on Blu-ray. It is over 20 minutes shorter than the version previously released on DVD and laserdisc. Much of the content that had been incorporated into the feature for the previous editions is included on the Blu-ray as Special Features, but not incorporated into the feature. Surely Disney has the creative and technical resources (as well as the marketing sense) to have included both versions of the feature on the Blu-ray disc. As it stands, I feel the Blu-ray is a major disappointment and a downgrade from the DVD, due to the failure to include the extended version of the film. What a disappointment!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Wonderful Movie! 5+ Stars!, October 5, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
Bedknobs and Broomsticks is my favorite Disney movie ever created. However, it is also one of the most overlooked ones as well. I've watched this movie since I was a little child, and you never get bored of it. One childhood memory I have, is watching this movie with my family. Now, I watch this 30th Anniversary DVD with my baby brother. Now I'll tell you all what this classic is about.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks is about a middle aged apprentice witch named Eglantine Price who lives in 1940 England. She is ordered to watch after 3 children who have been evacuated from London. The kids find out Miss Price's secret, and they also find out that Miss Price learns witchcraft from a mailorder course. To make a pact that states that if they keep her secret, she'll make it worth her while. So, she enchants a brass bedknob that will make them go wherever they want. However, the school closes, without the most important final spell, the Subsitutiary Locomotion spell.
So, using the bedknob, they go to London and seek out the headmaster of the school, Emelius Brown. Mr Brown can't find the spell either because the book he got out the spell of is torn, and the spell is only found on a necklace of a sorcerer named Astoroth.
Anyway, they go to Portobello Road, like a mini mall, and learn that towards the end of Astoroth's life, he captured animals and kept them in cages to make them more human like. The animals rebelled and killed Astoroth and stole the necklace. The animals escaped and took refuge on a mythical Isle named Niboombu.
The animation starts know as the tiny group explore the sea and then the island using hte traveling bedknob, and get the necklace that has the spell on it after a fun soccer game with a lion, which almost ends our story. After getting the necklace and returning home, the Nazi soldiers attack, and using the Spell, Miss Price and Company defeat them.
Now, I highly reccomend this DVD because of its digitally restored and digitally remastered format, and the resolution is so clear. This also has one of the best climaxes in Disney history, when they fight the Nazi's, and also has great animation.
As Mr Brown says, "Do it with a Flair", and get this 30th anniversary DVD, Digitally Restored and Remastered and Ready to Go!

5.0 out of 5 stars It has lost very little..., March 7, 2005
T.G. (Newcastle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks (DVD)
I was 7 years old when this film came out in the theater, just the perfect age for it, and I remember dragging my poor parents to see it several times (my father was bored to tears, I remember that clearly).

I recently ran into this DVD at the public library, and today I watched it again for the first time in over 33 years. Fortunately, it has lost little of its magic. The songs are just as catchy as ever, and the "Briny Ballroom" scene is worth the price of admission alone. The song "Age of Not Believing" is excellent, even better than the much-maligned "Cheer Up Charlie" in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (another of my childhood favorites).

Even as dated as the special effects are, the flying bed scenes still look magical (particularly the first one). There aren't enough of them though... you got a flying bed, you should use it! Anyway, I've got a warm feeling after seeing this movie again, and the songs just keep replaying themselves in my head. The only problem I have with Disney's re-release is the extended (waaaaaaayyyyyy toooooo extended) "Portabello Road" scene. This was just unnecessary, and would have put me to sleep as a kid.

It's been noted that this film is overshadowed by "Mary Poppins." Well, any film would be. Despite some weaknesses of this particular release, I can't recommend it enough -- particularly if you saw it as a kid. Let your kids experience it too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Waste of Money, September 8, 2009
This review is from: Bedknobs and Broomsticks Enchanted Musical Edition (DVD)
This review is about the DVD itself. I love this movie and is one of my all time favorites. When it was announced that a new edition was coming, I was very excited because I thougt they will improve the film. I own the 30th anniversary edition and while is not a terrible DVD is also not perfect. My first dissapointment was to know that again it was a single-disc edition. Then, I knew that the new feauterette that looked very exciting (Wizards of Special Effects) was only a way to promote Wizards of Waverly Place. Also no new restoration was added and they even cut a featurette that appeared in the previous DVD. What a shame that Disney could not put out a descent package for this wonderful film, so my recommendation is that if you already own the 30th Ann. Ed., stick with it because this new edition is not woth buying. Let's hope that maybe Disney will deliver us a strong 2-disc set in 2011 when the movie will commemorate its 40th Anniversary.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Enchanted Musical Edition