on July 18, 2001
How can you not like a fusion of middle eastern drum sounds, hypnotic singing (Honey Child) and classic jamaican dub?
My coworkers and i have ripped this and listen to it almost daily. When I first heard it, i thought maybe it was a Scientist or King Tubby record. But then i noticed how dense the beats were. The production sounded more modern, the bass heavy, the drumming ethereal in the mix. Sampled vocals come and go in the mix, lending this dub a hypnotic middle-eastern flavor that is really unique.
i like, very much. If you dig dub, you'll dig this.
on December 2, 2006
There has been quite a buzz surrounding the re-release of this very worthy ten year old album.

Most of the music on the album features very reasonable but unremarkable UK sounding dubwise tracks -- but -- what makes this an indispensible, essential purchase is the enigmatic vocals on four of the tracks by the under recorded, under rated Honeychild.

She has a beautiful voice which, though not a conventional female roots voice, fits the mystery of this music -- perfectly. Listen to the cloudy, smoky paranoia of "Suspicion" with the drizzle of a rain storm and muted thunder rolls underlying the entire rhythm structure.

Listen to the backward tape loops of her voice on the disorienting "Lack Of Dub To The Brain" over a dense backdrop of muted, hushed spoken samples, flutes and cries -- and it's clear that this is an original contribution to the reggae music canon.

On the track "Snake Charmer" Honeychild's vocal is not as unique or impressive, sounding more like a conventional lover's rock chanteuse. Think UK lovers styles meets Ari Up's "Some Love". It is reasonable -- but ordinary in comparasion with her other intriguing and captivating vocals on this album.

Honeychild -- unquestionably --deserves her own album.

These four Honeychild tracks are, overwhelmingly, reminiscent of Rhythm and Sound music -- They feature that same "roll off" sub low bass rumble and hiss. In this case though, there is a psychedelic loneliness and melancholy in the vocals. This is eerie dubwise at its best.

Grab this while it lasts for the Honeychild tracks -- Don't wait for it to delete and then be re-issued ten years from now.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I used to call this my ciccada dub record due to the fact a lot of it sounds like insects screeching!
That's a good thing!
Owning over 200+ reggae records I feel confident in saying this is
an excellent dub/reggae/middle eastern percussion/electronica release.
I would describe it as Lee Perry meets Portishead in the Middle East.
Great haunting female vocals, excelllent cool and varied dubbed middle eastern percusive instruments.
Many of my friends have purchased copies of their own.
This is my second copy of the album that I have purchased.
I highly recommend this record.
on May 15, 2001
There is no lack of talent on Badawi's label, there is just a lack of inspiration. The monotonous sounds may provoke instances of bewildered gasps for air from the listener. When is it going to happen? Maybe that is Badawi's motivation? It left this reviewer wondering why he ever bothered listening to the entire album. Not recommended!