5.0 out of 5 stars 365 Read-Aloud Bedtime Bible Stories
Published on March 5, 2000 by Alyce-Kay Hanush

For those of you looking at this book thinking it is the "Bedtime Bible Story Book" by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut, do not purchase this book.

Published on November 8, 2007 by amazonbuyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Two different "Bedtime Bible Story Books" being confused here..., November 8, 2007
This review is from: Bedtime Bible Story Book: 365 Read-aloud Stories from the Bible (Paperback)

The illustrator is the same, but these 365 stories are (as one person so aptly put it) are "stripped to the bone and dried". The original was a "Barbour Book" (isbn 1-55748-264-0). I put the original isbn number in, but it brought me to the one above, printed by Paradise Press.

The cover is very similar to Hurlbut's book, but this in not her book. I was so disappointed when this arrived. I'll never use it and won't pass it along to anyone else. I purchased Hurlbut's book from a used book dealer.

Some folks did not like the original because it was very straightforward about many of the ugly things that happened in the Old Testament account of history. So it's my guess that that is why we have the one above. I do not believe Hurlbut's version is in print anymore.

I personally love Hurlbut's original and am reading it to my children. I like it's honesty and my children really love it. Hurlbut gives history that I did not even know in order to put the events in historical context.

If you want a more gentle book for the very young, look at"Leading Little Ones to God" by Maran M. Schoolland. It is an amazing and awe inspiring book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 365 Read-Aloud Bedtime Bible Stories, March 5, 2000
A great way to introduce preschoolers to more than just the most popular Bible stories. This book goes straight through the Bible in short 2-3 minute stories, with two simple questions at the end of each. My 4-year-old begs me to read it to her each night. I let her pick out a few from anywhere in the book (usually chosen because of the pictures), which I read. Then I read 2 or 3, going through the book in order. This way, she gets to satisfy her curiosity about some of the pictures that have intrigued her, and I get the satisfaction of knowing that she's getting the full picture of the Bible, by reading straight through. Very highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Buy It! - but not for reading to little kids .., August 27, 2000
Ross Kelly (CANBERRA, A.C.T. Australia) - See all my reviews
Jesse Hurlbut has done us a great service by producing what is in reality a condensed bible with lots of little illustrations.
I bought 365 Read Aloud Bedtime Bible Stories to read to my 4 year old, but the language in the book is not simplified enough for very young children. It is at the level of, say, The Good News Bible.
However, I'm really enjoying reading this one myself now! The author has given us a 365 page "Best Of The Bible", which moves from Genesis right through to Revelations, and does so with clarity and faithfulness as a new, highly readable, very condensed translation-in-its-own-right.
I really feel that this book really fills a need as a legitimate Bible primer, for all ages. It certainly doesn't insult the adult, but children from 10 years can also enjoy it on their own. And I have not seen any better introduction to all the main storylines of both Old and New Testaments.
This book is a bargain, and mine now has its own place amongst my various Bibles, but I do think there is an opportunity for the book to be re-titled as a unique Bible primer for all ages, with the world's easiest 365 day reading plan!
Very highly recommended, but not for the advertised purpose - unless your kids are a bit older than mine. Cheers Ross Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to Christianity, December 27, 2000
By A Customer
I am a non-Christian trying to learn more about Christianity, and I have found that these Bedtime Bible Stories are a great place to start. Although they were written for younger kids, the language is not too simple as to be annoying for me, a college student, to read as I have found with other Christian books aimed at kids. I had been flipping through several of those books. Since I don't know much about Christianity, I wanted basic information presented in a clear, simple manner that went into at least some detail, and it had to be something that would keep my attention. I like how this book cites the corresponding Bible verses for each story (as any decent book of this kind should) so that I can also easily go to the original source. I'm still only on the first few stories from Genesis, but this book has already proven to be invaluable as one of the tools I'm using to learn more about Christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this book!, November 30, 1998
By A Customer
This Bible story book preserves as much of the Biblical language that it can while still remaining crystal-clear to children. That way when they are older and are ready to transition to their own Bibles, they will already be familiar with the language used in the Bible. We ue this book every day with our five children who range in age from 8 months to 11 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for reading to children., December 11, 1998
By A Customer
I am a mother of three children. I have used this book for years to read at bedtime. Children ages 5-10 love to answer the questions at the end of each story. Each story is approximately 10-12 minutes long and is true to the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Find! Easy Reading!, January 10, 2000
By A Customer
I originally desired to have this book to read to my children. We really enjoy reading it together. However, as time is going by, I find myself reading it by myself. I enjoy being able to read these stories in an "easy reading" format. It gives my a different perspective on the Bible that I have never had before. I think it is a must have in anyone's library and who could beat the price! It is quite a thick book....I was pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy format for kids to understand, September 20, 2004
We hav started reading these stories to my 4 - year old daughter and she enjoys them. Each story is a page long with two questions at the bottom. The questions are usually simple, but help to reinforece the story. I can also see why others have said this would be a good book for adults wanting to learn about Christianity.

I don't know if I would recommend this book as an introductory to Christianity, but for a new Christian trying to understand the Bible this would be a great book. Many new Christians have felt intimidated going to church and seeing others who seem to know all the Bible stories by heart. This book can be a quick introduction to the stories. But I would not recommend this to be your only source. Get an easy translation of the Bible and rad along with these stories and that will be helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bible stories stripped to the bone and dried, March 7, 2006
Low quality paper and line drawings aside, there is something a little too "stripped down" about this book. The stories are told so briefly and matter of factly, and so much 'feel' is left out that the Old Testament comes off being a story about a brutal, arbitrary God ruling over a bunch of primitive tribes. The New Testament loses all sense of poetry and myth. I read it to my daughter when she was seven and her reaction was... "why is God so mean?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, September 16, 2002
A. Vivolo (Orting, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves this book. So does my wife!!! She is new to Christianity and reading this book to our daughter gave her a great place for her to start her own study of Sacred Scripture.

Bedtime Bible Story Book: 365 Read-aloud Stories from the Bible
Bedtime Bible Story Book: 365 Read-aloud Stories from the Bible by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut (Paperback - March 1, 1995)
$3.99 $2.25