5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Captivating, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Bee Candy, Headstones, and Hungry Spirits (Kindle Edition)
Choosing the next book off the shelves to read can usually be luck of the draw. Sometimes you'll sit there throughout a book, wishing you could fast forward it like a movie - Yet, not wanting to actually put it down in hopes that something, anything interesting might surface. Then you are disappointed at the end when nothing happened.

And sometimes, you can pick up a book, read the first few paragraphs, and just know that this book will make up for all those horrid books that stole so many hours out of your life that you will never get back.

Bee Candy is one of those.

Whether you can relate to Celia and her hauntingly crazy family, or if you just love all of the references about the Colorado landmarks or old books from your past - I'm sure this book will captivate you.

So download Bee Candy, sit down in your big comfy chair with your latest and greatest drink from the coffee shop down the street, and ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars This was Wonderful, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Bee Candy, Headstones, and Hungry Spirits (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded on a whim from the list of free Kindle offerings, this book turned out to be a treasure that I almost missed.

At first one is a bit overwhelmed by the cast of characters, trying to figure out who's who and where they belong, but eventually they settle in and become friendly, known people.

There are gems of phrasing scattered throughout the book - Eleanor reads so much she has "no idea which thoughts were her own and which were fantasies picked up like word litter along the highway." A face "crumbled into raucous rubble" as he begins to laugh.

Each of the characters has a struggle of their own; some detailed for us and some left as more obscure. Humor, evenhanded irreverence, and genuine care and love carry them (and us) through the book. Families come together through bonds of blood and less traditional bonds of friendship.

The author does a nice job of presenting all sides of life, the joyful and the dreadful, and a somber story at a particular joyful ceremony is presented as a reminder that nothing is eternal. I can't describe it well enough here without giving too much away, but it makes sense in the book.

Somehow, someway, this book found its way to me just when I needed it. A close relative is going through a similar health issue to a character in the book, and while it doesn't really give tips or information on how to deal with it, it left me with a feeling of "this can be dealt with."

When I was writing this review, words like "strength," "joy," "grief," "balance," "peace," "laughter," "love," and above all, "hope" came to my mind.

I was disappointed when it was over - not because something was missing, but because my time with this book had some to an end.

In the hopes it may provide some help to the author, I would like to point out a few issues. These didn't really interfere too much with my enjoyment of the book because the story was so strong, but they were fairly noticeable.

Some words are misspelled, and some examples are provided here - "all right," not "alright"; "Hemmingway" (Hemingway); "Krispy Kreams" (Kremes); "lightening" (lightning as in a storm); "he say's" (says). Comma placement is a bit odd in spots. If the author lets me know via a comment on this review, I would be happy to send the examples I marked in my clippings as a text email.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bittersweetness of life & death!, January 19, 2012
Bee Candy

This is one of those books that beg to be read from the moment you turn to the first page. There are so many of life's thoughts & feelings contained within the chapters, I didn't want to stop reading. I would look forward to getting done at work so I could pick up where I left off. If your like me, you will recognize a bit of yourself or someone you know woven within the story line. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars When bee stings are a welcome relief..., August 21, 2013
This review is from: Bee Candy, Headstones, and Hungry Spirits (Kindle Edition)
Divorce, marriage, and emotionally distant loved ones are painful topics for me, and that is the focus of this novel. I almost didn't finish reading it. That said, the characters are interesting and entertaining, sometimes larger than life, but always feeling real and responding in a 3D way to events in the story.

I found almost all the female characters unlikable. I chalk that up to my own shortcomings, but most of them are emotionally distant, liars/cheaters, crazy, dead etc. They're all entertaining though, and that's what kept me flipping pages.

I like this author's writing style, and I look forward to reading their next story. Fingers are crossed for a topic I find more entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Literary Ghost Story with Character, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Bee Candy, Headstones, and Hungry Spirits (Kindle Edition)
I love a good ghost story. This one satisfies without falling back on some of the standard tropes you'd expect from literary fiction. Much of the story takes place in a graveyard, but the focus is on the people who work and visit - a nice, modern turn on a stuffy convention. The prose is laced with a balance of poetry and pop reference, avoiding the ponderous. But characterization is what makes "Bee Candy" a superior tale. The major characters are wonderfully drawn. The supporting cast is quirky without being fake; memorable without being intrusive. And the novel ends with a satisfying (though bittersweet) resolution. "Bee Candy" is a wonderful read.

Bee Candy, Headstones, and Hungry Spirits