The phrase "beer for dummies" may ring redundant in a world where wine snobbery has made "beer education" sound more like an oxymoron than a worthwhile endeavor. Yet the mass-produced fizz-water that commonly passes for beer is really an unrepresentative descendent of the classic European pilsner style--just one of more than 20
categories of beer recognized by modern brewers. Beer for Dummies
is a terrific reference for those beer lovers who might be surprised or enticed by beer's oft-forgotten diversity.
In the down-to-earth, light-hearted tone typical of the For Dummies series, Marty Nachel covers most--if not all--of the beer lover's terrain. Sections on defining, enjoying, buying, making, and "going nuts over" beer comprise the balance of the book, but even more information follows by way of reference: you'll learn about beer and brewing clubs, beer history, collector's info, and more. The advanced topics may be spread a bit thin by the book's breadth, but the neophyte beer enthusiast has much to glean from such a broad overview. Those to whom "hops" and "mashing" still sound like terms for teen revelry should give Beer for Dummies a chance to redefine their idea of beer. --Todd Gehman
From the Back Cover
Are you overwhelmed by the selection of beers available at your local pub or favorite restaurant? Do you know the difference between a lager and an ale? Would you like to try brewing your own beer but are too afraid that you'd blow up the kitchen? Well, fear no more!
Beer For Dummies is your prefect introduction to the world of beer, covering everything from microbrews to homebrewing -- with tips for how to match beer with food, how to pour and store beer properly, and how to enjoy your beer at its fullest!
Inside, you'll find barrels of information on how to:
- Taste beer and evaluate its hops, malt, color, and clarity
- Decipher beer labels and read a beer menu like a pro
- Understand the "technical stuff" about beer and homebrewing techniques
- Recognize the characteristics of ales, lagers, and other beer styles
- Try beers from all over the world
- Pour, store, and drink beer from the right kinds of glassware
- Brew your own beer in the basement or kitchen
- Locate cool beer festivals, tastings, and events held around the world
- Join beer clubs or associations and subscribe to beer publications, online forums, and more