Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beethoven
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on April 17, 2005
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid and now even as an adult I see all the magic that made me enjoy it when I was younger. After watching this movie even the person in your family who is not an animal lover will want to go out and adopt a St.Bernard!

It starts when Beethoven is just a puppy by narrowingly escaping a pet store robbery Beethoven wanders the streets until he enters the lives of the Newton family. After Emily Newton the youngest member of the clan awakes in the morning to see a cute little fluffy St. Bernard puppy in her bed "I dreamt I had a puppy and my dream came true." George and Alice Newton are besides themselves on what to do with the dog- they can't keep it is George's first reaction. It will ruin the yard, destroy the house, it will grow to be enormous, and then it will die and we'll have to replace it and start the whole process all over again. Well George despite, being an a non-dog person decides to keep it for the sake of the kids "It's just temporary" he says. But, soon Beethoven the lovable St.Bernard becomes a member of the family- dealing with all childhood crisises from bullies and to first crushes- as this happens he also gets REALLLY big creating huge messes that George Newton reluctantly puts up with! Well, Beethoven is a very special dog with a remarkable love for his family sensing danger for the Newtons from saving George from the finical ruin of his company to the near death drowning of little Emily. But, suddenly Beethoven finds himself in the grips of an villianious vet who wants to use him to test out a new gun anumition on- only problem is the Newton family isn't going to give Beethoven up with out a fight! Even George loves the creature now.

This movie made my eleven year old host sister roll over on the floor with laughter. And seeing it made me want to go out and adopt a St.Bernard puppy. Charles Gordin is HILLAROUS as the anti-dog loving George in this movie his facial expressions and tone of voice reminded me of my dad's dealings with our family pet. Charles Gordin totally carries this movie. The animals also make this flick really endearing-

All in all this is a movie to rent or buy to watch with your kids over and over again! The perfect choice for family movie night.
on July 19, 2000
First, I gotta admit to my partiality towards St. Bernards in particular and big dogs in general. So, naturally, my review of this film is somewhat skewed in that direction. Still, I think it's a wonderful film, even in the context of "family movies." And like the title of this review says, it's a wonderful oasis from all the other movies out there that seek to anthropomorphize animals, rather it just portrays a dog being...well...a dog. Refreshing. Grodin does a good job, I'd rank it somewhere between "Midnight Run" and "The Great Muppet Caper." And whoever trained the big lug that was Beethoven deserves due credit, too!
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2008
Beethoven DVD

Beethoven is a comedy about a family with a Saint Bernard dog and all the trouble the dog gets in to. A laugh-a-minute.

Highly recommended for the entire family, especially dog lovers.

Gunner April, 2008
on January 29, 2016
Who doesn't love Beethoven? I bought this movie because we needed something to watch as a family. My kids (9,5,2) loved it! It brought back a lot of great movie memories for me as a kid as well. Forgot about semi adult scene where Beethoven climbs into the bed and the dad thinks it's his wife.....oppps.. Overall we enjoyed this movie as a family and look forward to watching it again.
on June 6, 2016
I remembered this movie from my childhood so my husband and I watched it with our 6 year old. He laughed through the whole thing, and I enjoyed the nostalgia of watching a childhood favorite. Turned out it was my husbands first time watching it as well and he enjoyed the antics, and darker bits of the story as much as the kiddo.
on May 14, 2014
This isn't exactly an original movie. There have been plenty of movies, shows, and books about a person or person adopting a dog that radically disrupts their life while stealing their heart. Beethoven follows this tried and true formula, but seems (to me, at least), to do it better than most. This movie has aged well and is a timeless family movie that I still enjoy as an adult.
on November 21, 2014
IF i bought it and its rated 4 or 5 STARS then YOU should WATCH it or READ it. and if your don't end up liking it then you have no sense of good movies so i really don't know how found any of these amazing products
on July 22, 2014
Puppies are always fun and at a time when movies are full of F this and F that a movie that is just plain old school fun was a real treat. Predicable and yet I am looking forward to the other Beethoven series. Relax and give Beethoven a try - order a pizza!
on January 29, 2014
"Beethoven" will most likely make a kid out of you for life if you really enjoy the movie, and, realistically, it is difficult not to. Its plot might be lighter than a Bloho the Clown cluster of balloons, but it makes several good points for a family-friendly, light-hearted entertainment vehicle. In other words, this is not your typical, more recent type of ignorance fest that is par for course for Hollywood output. (Most modern movies are simply feces in disguise.) No, "Beethoven" takes a more interesting look at animal experimentation and explores the theme of animal mistreatment and, surprisingly, it really doesn't slough it off as harmless. While the script is rather light (as it was intended to be), it is at least aware of the cruelty and suffering that goes on frequently in this world of ours. But with a likable star (the dog!), and a rather touching music score (well, it is), "Beethoven" is a movie that I can watch even now, when I've grown older, more cynical, and more discriminate. "Major Payne" belongs in the past. "Beethoven" belongs any time.
With its run of thoroughly enjoyable performances (Charles Grodin has a unique quality as an actor, one that I feel is overlooked by critics, in that he can elevate almost any material to its appropriate level of humor without making you feel you've lost brain cells by enjoying it), including a nasty turn by the Dean (Jones) himself, and a presentation of mostly likeable people/characters on hand, this is one to treasure. Most summer popcorn movies are disposable (as they are intended to be), and most kid-friendly films are made for their time to appeal to the current viewing audience. But "Beethoven" is something better. You'd do well to hang on to it if you are building a solid collection of movies. It is proof that not all "light" movies have to be dumb, or insensitive. The image and sound on the DVD is fine, not far removed from a decent VHS copy, but the film is so enjoyable it's hard to demand much more from it. A+
on July 15, 2014
Bought this to watch with my granddaughter. I just had Beethoven II, so now she is looking forward to watching how it all began.
These movies are delightful and very funny for both kids and bigger kids (like me).