Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mary Carpenter Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on December 29, 1998
I knew of this movie from when I was young, when it was occasionally aired before Christmas. The characters, including a family of sweet mice, are adorable. The story is short but heartwarming, and the songs will leave you singing them to yourself long after the holidays. Everything about this cartoon fits together extremely well, and children of all ages will be delighted by it. This video is hard to find in stores, so do yourself a favor and order it!
on December 1, 2011
(This is a review of the Blu-ray.) While it is nice to see this overlooked show get the Blu-ray treatment don't expect a remastered transfer. While the picture is clear and crisp they did not clean up the print that was used. Lots of dust and scratches are present throughout. Also the audio is center channel only on surround sound.

Having said that, you don't really need surround sound and perfect picture to enjoy the show. We aren't dealing with an HD cineplex blockbuster here. It is a pleasant little Christmas special. It has some touching and funny moments, a few memorable songs, and a nice atmosphere thanks to the voice of Joel Grey. You could quibble a little with the story (Why is Santa prone to holding grudges and being petty in some of these Rankin and Bass stories?)

Anyway, $13 is a little steep for what you get, but you cannot complain too much here.
on March 18, 2002
As a child I used to scan the tv guide every Sunday in December looking for the Christmas specials. I had my favorites, and this was one of them. Its artwork, and the artwork of all of the Rankin/Bass specials, is superb. The songs stay in your heads (and hearts) forever. I still sing along like I did almost 30 years ago when I first learned the words "Christmas time is calling Santa, Santa"...And I especially loved it this past Christmas when my then 16 month old's attention was captured by this cartoon, especially when the music played. I look forward to many more viewings with my son (and his soon to be born sister), and will gladly use them as an excuse to watch a childs show that I consider a classic and fondly remember from simpler times - CHILDHOOD!!!
on January 9, 2014
I was glad to find this because I watched it when I was little and hadn't seen it in years. I wasn't sure it was going to be the same thing because I only had a vague memory of the storyline. Long story short it is the same story. A mouse named Albert and a few of his friends write a letter calling Santa Claus a fraudulent myth which angers him and he returns every-ones letters to him unopened. A clockmaker hoping to show Santa Claus that they really do love him and believe in him makes a clock that will play a special song for him to hear at the stroke of midnight. Santa Claus does come but first a miracle has to happen because Albert accidently breaks the clock when he climbs inside to see how it works insuring that Santa Claus may not be coming. This is a very good story and a very good show. One review complained about the lack of extras the disc has. Obviously she didn't have the Blu-ray because that gives you the DVD and what little extras are on that plus the movie on Blu-ray with at least one other extra that I haven't watched yet. Anyway like I said this is a good story and a good show. You should get it because youll regret it if you don't. Merry Christmas.
on August 29, 2001
I used to watch "Twas the Night Before Christmas" every year when I was little. I never missed it. Suddenly it stopped coming on, and I was disappointed. I couldn't believe that they took it off the air. A few years ago I was lucky when I heard it was going to be on Fox Family. I decided to record it off the television, but missed the first part of the show. I wanted the whole special and went to see if I could find it on the internet(you can't find it in stores). I found it ... and could not believe it. This special shows some of the many meanings of Christmas. It showed that there are miracles on earth and that if you really believe and hope in something, then those miracles can happen. If you don't have this video, then I suggest you add it to your collection.
on March 15, 2012
This is one of my favorite holiday cartoons. This review is about the product not the movie. The dvd worked fine. The Bluray did NOT work (in both my original disc and the replacement disc Amazon sent and in multiple Bluray players). The Bluray previews all had audio but different sound levels. The Bluray Menu Screen had audio. However, when clicking Play the actual movie had NO audio. Possible mass quantity manufacturing defect? I was able to compromise with Amazon and agreed on a reduced price since the dvd in the disc set was fine.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2002
This is a classic Christmas Cartoon that I watched every year for as long as I can remember. Each time I see it somewhere I get so excitied and it brings back such great memories.
This is an adorable movie, that I'm sure anyone would love and help restore the Christmas spirit.
"big words.. big words...."
"Christmas time is calling Santa.. Santa.."
"Even a Miracle needs a hand..."
on September 8, 2003
When they stopped playing alot of the Christmas cartoons that I grew up with, I kind of forgot about them. Then I seen in the stores that they were selling the Rankin/Bass Christmas videos. Twas The Night Before Christmas was one that I was looking for. It took me awhile to find it, but I finally did!
I love to watch this movie at Christmas time and enjoy it immensely. I have a daughter that will be almost 2 by Christmas this year and I am so looking forward to sharing this classic tale with her. I hope that she grows up to enjoy these wonderful Christmas cartoons as much as I have!
Thanks to Rankin/Bass for making such wonderful memories to all of us!
on December 4, 2002
I remember watching this as child, and have been searching for it for a few years now. This was one of my favorite Christmas cartoons, and I used to love when the whole family sat down to watch it: fire going, pajamas with the little feet on them, hot chocolate, and then that fun CBS twisting logo that let you know a cartoon was coming.
The story begins with a town having all their letters to Santa returned. It turns out someone has printed a letter in the newspaper stating that they don't believe in Santa, so he is not coming to the town this year. Everyone is besides themselves until the town clockmaker has an idea - he will build a huge clocktower that, just when Santa is flying over, will play a beautiful song of children singing, asking him to come. But, when they unveil the clock, it is broken. Can they fix the clock in time? Who broke it in the first place? And who wrote the letter? You'll have to watch to find out.
Some of the cutest characters that you will ever see, and some great songs ("You wish, and I'll whittle. You pray, while I plan. We'll do what's necessary 'cause, even a miracle needs a hand!). Plus, at the end there is a reading of the original "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" story.
Definitely worth getting and sharing with the family.
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2005
I love this special, mostly because it has some great songs in it. It's meant for kids, and it's good for kids, but it's not limited to kids. No matter what age someone is, I believe they can appreciate this great work of art. Adults can go beneath the surface and find deeper meaning in the message sent out. For instance, Albert doesn't believe anything he can't see. His father tells him, "You don't know as much as you think you do because you only think with your head." Then he sings a song about the beautiful things in the world you can't see or touch. This short film shows how important it is to consult your heart in life and it sends out a very hopeful and entertaining message. It makes you aware that miracles ARE possible, but you need to be at least a little active to get them going. Even when Santa bypasses the town because of doubters, there are those in the town that refuse to give up hope and do whatever it takes to bring Santa back. It's inspiring. There are just so many great things to ponder in this short little song-filled Christmas film.