Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Band of Brothers [Blu-ray] forum

Before you ONE-STAR this for no English subtitles- Please Read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2009 7:15:49 PM PST
For EVERYONE wondering, wanting to comment about no English subtitles, and/or those who deemed it necessary to give it one-star for lack of subtitles. When DVDs themselves do not have subtitles programmed on them simply enable the "captions" mode on your TV.

It is a shame to see SOOOO many people ripping the series down to one star because of a subtitle issue. When the fix takes a matter of seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2009 5:06:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2009 1:33:03 PM PDT
Arya says:
Thank you, but I DO have the closed captions option on my TV turned on. Now what? I tried asking HBO directly but all they told me was to turn on the non-existing menu option for closed captioning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 6:39:46 AM PST
Jay F. says:
That is all well and good except that we are now in the 21st century. Closed Captioning uses up a tremendous amount of screen real estate (because of the wide black bars on which the captioning is placed), often times obscuring visuals that are important to the story. Captioning, while an excellent solution to the problems deaf and hard of hearing people had years ago, is a lame excuse for a solution when the technology for a much better solution not only exists but only adds negligible cost to the production of the DVD.

Especially frustrating is that the Region 2 (Western Europe) Version of the set, which will not play in unmodified DVD players in the U.S., has English subtitles. Thus, it seems, cost is not even a factor as the work has already been done. This is a prime example of *why* people resort to downloading Movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 7:30:04 AM PDT
Sky King says:
I tried turning on CC Closed Captioning, but nothing. Too bad. My 84 year old dad was really looking forward to being able to read and listen at the same time. I just stop it after critical dialog and tell him what was said. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 12:02:39 PM PDT
Arya says:
After everyone telling me to turn on the captions mode on my TV (which was already turned on), I learned I had to turn on the captions mode on the setup menu on the DVD player. Sky King, see if your DVD player has a similar feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 5:18:50 PM PDT
Sky King says:
According to the manual, and other sources, if the signal is going through an HDMI cable the CC won't work. The work-around is to send the signal through regular cable with the red, yellow and white RCA connectors. Doing this loses the HD, but the closed captions are visible. (My Electrical Engineering degree is finally paying off!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 7:27:19 AM PDT
D. Kesterson says:
Sky king: You could use a Component video cable (red, green, blue) to still get HD picture and have your subtitles too. Just make sure you also hook up some "white and red" RCA (audio) cables. I don't have an electrical engineering degree.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions