5.0 out of 5 stars Just as charming as his first book.
Published on November 9, 2007 by gotta_hava_dog

3.0 out of 5 stars John O'Hurley, Do Not leave your Day Job !
I am a long admirer of Mr. O'Hurley and also of books about people and their dogs. I ordered three of Mr. Hurley's book. What a disappointment. But to be kind and keeping in mind his many other accomplishments I just urge him to keep his day job and not to let writing be it ! I gave it 3 stars where 1 would have been more honest.
Published 1 month ago by Jann Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as charming as his first book., November 9, 2007
gotta_hava_dog (Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
The visual image of Mr. O'Hurley's sweet little dog writing notes and placing them under the foot of the Big Blue Elephant is priceless. The notes themselves are clear and direct, as dogs are wont to be. They form the basis for the chapters which are filled with wisdom, laughter and tears. This is a beautiful love letter from a devoted father to his beloved son. Whether you love a dog or another person, I feel certain you'll be deeply touched by this delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly delightful and satsfying read, December 4, 2007
Stacey (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
John O'Hurley's sophomore novel is a breath of fresh air! Okay, he claims it was written by his dog, Scoshi, with only a bit of commentary added by him for clarification. Regardless, this is a wonderful book filled with laughter, tears, and solid advice to a little man from a little dog and his loving father.

5.0 out of 5 stars This parent's insights and advice is purposeful, directed and easy to absorb., January 8, 2008
Before Your Dog can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to Do It: Life Lessons From a Wise Old Dog to a Young Boy discusses many lessons the author's learned from dogs, which carried him from the New England woods of childhood to his successful life in Hollywood. It was his dog who pointed the way to wisdom - and who, he says, wrote on small scraps of paper some words of wisdom - Scoshi's life lessons for father and son, from a wise old dog. This parent's insights and advice is purposeful, directed and easy to absorb.

5.0 out of 5 stars John O'Hurley is an excellent writer., February 7, 2009
While I thoroughly enjoyed O'Hurley's first book, "It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump", I thought his latest one, "Before Your Dog Can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to Do It" was extraordinary. Setting aside his penchant for very long titles, he is a very talented writer. He makes me laugh and cry and everything in between. He is far more candid about his early life than one would expect, and that endears him to us. We can see a little bit of ourselves on these pages. I see dogs and love them in much the same way he does, so for me he is truly a kindred spirit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise!, July 12, 2008
I bought this book just because I like dogs - however, what a pleasant surprise! O'Hurley (or Scoshi...) says things that make you stop and think about, things that you agree with because you also have lived them, felt them; you just had never stopped to think about. Totally worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, March 14, 2009
Lissa (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Beautifully written, an entertaining and touching read. My dog is the same age as Scoshi, so the introduction was particularly poignant for me. I highly recommend this book for people of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book, April 1, 2008
As both a parent and dog lover, I enjoyed this book. Had some very realistic advice in it. Hope his son enjoys it when he gets older.

Quick read..took about an hour to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great book... by an extraordinarily gifted writer, March 20, 2009
Toby Martin II (aka R. Howe) "rchowe" (Erskine, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I knew of John O'Hurley only from his humorous role as J. Peterman on the "Seinfeld" sitcom; and as a talented TV game show host. I purchased "Before Your Dog Can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to Do It"...subtitled "Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog to a Young Boy" (perhaps the longest title ever--certainly among the 1200-plus books in our family library!) because of our love of dogs, arguably one of God's greatest gifts. The title suggested that it would be filled with the funny, and sometimes sad, anecdotes about these special creatures which are the basis of many books being published today. And while "BYDCEYHFYHTDI" certainly met my expectations for humor and pathos, this extraordinary work is so very much more. Though consisting of only 152 pages, nearly all of them offer profound insights into parenting, love, integrity, faith, commitment, and individual responsibility (so lacking in so many, as documented in news reports on a daily basis). Mr. O'Hurley reveals himself as an intelligent, caring and honest man; and his insights into the human mind, conscience, heart and soul are inspiring messages which can profoundly motivate the readers of this very special book. As one who has reviewed countless books, and is a member of Amazon.com's Vine program, I can enthusiastically, and without reservation, highly recommend this second book by John O'Hurley--whose young son, William, is indeed blessed to have as his father. (I haven't as yet read his first book, "It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump"... but it's on order!)
--Ron Howe (aka 'Toby Martin II) Erskine, Minnesota.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, June 14, 2014
book arrived in great condition with no problems and turned out to be a very interesting read. I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars John O'Hurley, Do Not leave your Day Job !, May 25, 2014