5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook for independent study

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best for an Older Adult
Published 19 months ago by viola ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook for independent study, February 3, 2002
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
I home educate my 12-year-old son, so I need a textbook that gives clear explanations, includes plenty of worked examples, and provides answers to the exercises so I can check his work. This textbook is brilliantly clear and perfectly suited to independent study. Answers are provided for odd-numbered exercises only, but there are so many exercises at the end of each chapter that this has never been a problem for us: we just do all the odd-numbered exercises. Each chapter also has a chapter test and a set of cumulative review exercises at the end, for which answers to ALL of the problems are provided. This is an extremely useful feature for home educators. At the end of the book there is a cumulative test of the whole book, for which answers to every problem are provided, so you can do a thorough review with no uncertainty about marking. You could also use the final test as a pre-test to determine what areas you need to work on, if you're trying to fill in gaps from an unsuccessful school course. I only wish we could find textbooks of this quality for our other subjects!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginning Algebra, Ninth Edition by Margaret L. Lial, July 1, 2005
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
This Beginning Algebra book by Lial is, without a doubt, the best elementary Algebra book I have had the pleasure to use. As a tutor of middle school through college level, I have used several Algebra texts from the bigger textbook companies to several homeschool favorites. This text builds logically and has clear and accurate explanations. Concepts that should be learned by heart and rote are highlighted. There is also a plethora of practical application problems which, afterall, is what math is all about - one needs to be able to apply and use the concepts in everyday and career situations. In short, it is easily understood by the self-taught, as well as a delight to use in a teaching situation. There is ample drill and practice to solidify concepts and routines. I'm sticking with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars idiot proof math instruction, October 3, 1999
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
As an adult relearning algebra, I found this to be the best of the five introductory algebra texts I reviewed. It forces you to work through each step necessary for problem solving, and provides much needed repitition of concepts to ensure that they stick with you. A real confidence booster for a slow learner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best., September 20, 2005
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
This book is perfect. It explains every problem, and unlike most Algebra courese, it prepares you for whats coming. Books like the MaGraw Hill Algebra books just give you a problem and expect you to know how to solve it. Margret L Lial works you up to it, so when you get to the big equations you will actually know how to do them.

If uou are a Beginner, like me, I recommend Practical Algebra A self-Teaching Guide second edition, A great book alongside Begining Algebra. Those two combined, and your set for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Math Textbook ever!, July 5, 2001
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
This is the most beautiful math textbook I've ever seen. To each chapter there are many examples that show clearly what is covered. In the problem solving questions, some are based on real life. The only little problem is that the answers at the back to the exercises are odd-numbered! I use it as a homework textbook for a math programme and I NEVER get stuck on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars from a young reader's point of view, January 12, 2000
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
My 8 year old son used this book for his Beginning Algebra course. He liked this textbook very much; especially the problem solving steps, examples, and summary tables in each chapter. He said that it is easy to understand and interesting to read. The only part he needed my help was real life problems such as interest rates. It is an excellent book for self-learners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Text, Great Online Instruction, April 29, 2009
I purchased this book as part of a bundle that included the MathXL online access. As a math-phobic returning college student, I was really concerned that the text would lose me. It did not, for the most part. There is ample instruction, with many instances of tying algebra to 'real life' situations. I didn't give Lial's book a 5 because there were some places where, for me, some instruction was missing. Instruction was often the easiest forms of the work, while the practice questions got progressively harder, expecting you to 'intuit' how to apply the skills to the problems. Sometimes it was too big of a leap, without further assistance. However, the MathXL companion site was priceless. It included video clips with an instructor working through problems, step-by-step 'help me' prompts to assist with homework, and practice tests that I highly recommend if you are like I was -- rusty with algebra.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Text, August 27, 2010
This book is a fantastic guide for middle schoolers wanting to learn much more than basics in Algebra. There are some challenging problems and the sample solutions are discussed in a step by step process which is easy to comprehend.Great book for better Math skills! Do not forget to purchase along with the CD as the explanations resolve the doubts one can have on the logic applied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Beginning Algebra (Hardcover)
I first got this book for a college class I was taking. It was the required book. It was the first time I could ace a math class because it made it so easy to learn. I couldn't believe I had struggled with math all my life. I feel because of this book I also was able to ace my intermediate college algebra as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best for an Older Adult, June 29, 2013
I am 75 years old and only had algebra in 9th grade. I ordered this book to brush up on my knowledge because it has been so long since I was in high school. I am having a problem with this book because when I learned math they did not teach anything about prime numbers. I was a straight A student in school and worked as a budget officer most of my adult career. So, I think I am smart enough, but I would like to find a book like I used back in the 50's. My reason for wanting to review algebra was so I could help my grandson who is having a problem, but at this point I think he can do better than I can. As far as I can see so far, prime numbers are no improvement over the old method. Yesterday, I ordered the Basic Math and Pre-Algebra Workbook for Dummies. As far as the prime numbers are concerned, this book will probably still use prime numbers, but maybe it will be a little easier for me to understand.

Beginning Algebra (8th Edition)
Beginning Algebra (8th Edition) by Margaret L. Lial (Hardcover - August 18, 2000)
Used & New from: $6.92