5.0 out of 5 stars you will melt at the end
Published on May 31, 2011 by eddiek

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Job; Potentially Interesting Topic
Some of the other reviewers are disgusted by this film. I think their disgust is unwarranted. I watched the movie thinking their comments were overly dramatic. I still do, but I am not impressed by this movie.

Published on November 22, 2011 by DaRRen

5.0 out of 5 stars you will melt at the end, May 31, 2011
Forget the incest part-even forget the gay part--i have never seen in film a couple so completely in love---the way they embrace and look in each others eyes when they fear separation makes me want that depth of love for myself like i have never wanted anything like it before-the actors were so good they made it look so real--i know its just the movies and in real life most times it fleeting, but the intimacy shown in this film truly makes me want to experience it for myself--the male leads are totally masculine and gorgeous but their relationship seems so real and again their love for each other seems so absolutely complete--Kuddos to everybody involved with this movie--especially the 2 leads---the interesting part is that the incest part in the movie sort of makes the intimacy so understandable--knowing and trusting from the beginning would affect everything in any relationship i guess-----watch it and you will melt at the end

5.0 out of 5 stars "Do Começo ao Fim" (From Begining to End) unites two brothers beyond boundaries, May 7, 2011
This review is from: From Beginning to End (DVD)
Even though the subject matter may repel some, as the film begins, "From Begining to end" immediately immerses the viewer into the family life of brothers Thomas and Francisco. This Brazilian import is fearless and daring in many ways as its touches on some very taboo subject matters. It slowly creeps up to you, but once this drama sees the boys as grown men, it takes a very nostalgic mood. There is a very haunting aspect to this film that will leave you lulled and wanting more. There is also a certain amount of sadness eminent from the fantastic performances from Rafael Cardoso and João Gabriel Vasconcellos. Both these men light up the screen, and their chemistry was incendiary with a very fierce dynamic relationship that takes twists and turns in many directions but ultimately leaves you yearning for what was once between them. The film is pretty much about life changes and how some of the best times are hard to let go as mere memories. Both brothers, in their own way, must deal with life's changes and its unexpectedness. Very poetic and always eloquent in its storytelling, dealing with such difficult subject matter was flawlessly handled sensitively in the very capable hands of Aluisio Abranches. Brazil should be proud to have this film. It represents very well the beautiful people of Brazil, their culture and it give you great insight of a culture that is filled with traditions as well as strong family and community ties.

As the movie beautifully unfolds, we explore and observe a relationships and how difficult it can be to let go of the tie that binds

5.0 out of 5 stars Love wins out, July 10, 2011
GEORGE RANNIE "GWRJWMCL" (DENVER, COLORADO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Beginning To End (DVD)
Although the Brazilin film "From Beginning to End" tackles the very controversial subject of homosexual love between two half brothers, it does not try to persuade the audience of its rightness or of its wrongness. There is no "preaching" of its feelings. What the film, to me, really shows is a beautiful love story between two individuals that happen to be half brothers. Their love evolves and unfolds from early childhood with the film showing them as very "close" siblings--"rough housing", playing, taking baths, looking after each other, etc, The film shows a very ideal time for them as kids and their "upper-class" parents that only at one point question their "closeness". The film shows their childhood kind of just unfolding as childhoods tend to do. During this "childhood unfolding" Francisco and his younger half brother, Tom, fall deeper in love. By the time adulthood is reached, the two very handsome half brothers (acted wonderfully and very naturally by two beautiful Brazilian actors) are in a "full blown" love affair.

Adult love affairs tend to always have a problem or two. Francisco and Tom are separated and their love for each other is, of course, threatened. However, love wins out and how it wins out makes for a very enjoyable and very romantic movie that I loved. I "welled up" with tears by the end of this very beautiful and very romantic(with a very nice sound track) film indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, June 6, 2011
I happened across this video on a lonely Sunday night at home and decided to download it. I was so impressed. The absolute beauty and elegance of it was such a pleasant surprise. The love story was beautiful and full of real passion and feeling. I think anyone would dream of being so lucky to have a connection to someone on this intense of a level. I wasn't offended by the content or the nudity. It was what the movie needed to show the true passion of the relationship. I have recommended it to a few friends already. The ending was disappointing and the movie just seemed to stop without a real finish to it. Maybe an ending like that was in reality the perfect ending. Thanks to the film maker for giving us a look at unconventional true love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask Yourself..., August 20, 2011
I watched this stunning movie alone, but so wished afterward that I could sit down over a cup of coffee and talk about what we had just experienced. I was sucked in completely in watching the adorable, loving and joyous relationship that the two young boys had as I had never witnessed siblings who were so immersed and satisfied from the mere existence of the other. It was like watching something "other worldly" ... theirs was a relationship to marvel upon. Only after they had made the transition to adulthood did it begin to strike me as awkward and make me feel a bit queasy because "I knew" that this was something the world labels "wrong".

That's when the window that I had been viewing their lives through and had started judging their morality became a mirror reflecting my face back to myself. I was the one that had a problem with it, they did not. It was a set of morals I had been taught as "right" that I was trying to hold up as a measuring stick to determine just "how wrong" I thought they were.

Francesco and Tom Tom had never considered their love for each other as anything other than pure and respectful and everything that true love should be. So I had to ask myself "Why is this 'wrong'? Who am I to judge their feelings based on rules and regulations I have been taught ... taught by a world that has created its own set of 'do's and don'ts' in telling us how we are allowed to love another human being?" LOVED THIS MOVIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incestuous? Hardly., January 24, 2012
Pani (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Beginning To End (DVD)
From Beginning to End is hyped as "controversial" because the relationship that is portrayed is between two males who are half-brothers, the suggestion being, of course, that their relationship is incestuous. How silly! The incest taboo in Western society and elsewhere was established to prevent a male and female who are closely related from having sexual intercourse and giving birth to a child who often is born retarded or suffers from other physical or mental defects. That taboo makes sense in human society. BUT sexual relations between two males results in no offspring. Intercourse produces no human beings. Therefore to compare sexual relations between two related males to that of a related male and female makes no biological or logical sense.

What is beautiful about this movie is the love between these two half-brothers from the time when they were growing up through their life as young, sexual adults. The earlier relationship was, of course, not sexual but one of tender closeness, protectiveness, and love. Later, after they were older the relationship evolved naturally into a sexual one that was an expression of both tender love and protectiveness that was a natural part of their normal social and professional lives. What, I ask, could be more satisfying for two people?

Its storyline, the script, the acting in this movie are all superb. It certainly surpasses most American movies classified as gay. To dismiss it as a movie about incest reflects ignorant prejudice. Would that more human relationships were as beautiful as the one portrayed here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Job; Potentially Interesting Topic, November 22, 2011

The topic of adult incest is very explosive -- even though one could persuasively argue that consensual and nonexploitative sex between two adults is their own business. All of the biological opposition to adult incest vanishes in the gay context - there is no risk that the partners will transmit genetic defects to their offspring. So, this is basically a moral question. And general notions of morality have done a lot of harm in society - especially to gays and lesbians.

Rather than exploring this topic with a sufficient amount of depth, the film falls very flat. We don't really get much in terms of character development. Everyone is loving and close -- the brothers, parents, maid, swim coach, and even strangers met in a nightclub. We know that the kids were very intimate as they grew up, but there is no discussion of why they became sexual as adults. It literally - just happens. There isn't much discussion of their relationship before or after they consummate their desire.

The sex scenes are very tender, and much more "progressive" than what you see in American films. So, I applaud the director for this. But that's about the best stuff in the movie. Really good, tender and romantic sex: this is the stuff of a Harlequin romance. More discussion about the subject of sexual morality, however, would have resulted in a better product.

Also, it seems that the men were addicted to one another. This doesn't look like the healthiest of relationships. I don't want to say too much about this, but once they start having sex, everyone and everything (other than the brothers) become irrelevant. Finally, the ending was predictable and simplistic. It is also proof of love addiction, not healthy love.

If you want to see gorgeous men love each other tenderly on screen, this movie will satisfy this craving. If you want a smart exploration of the morality surrounding adult incest -- this movie will not impress you.

5.0 out of 5 stars abundantly passionate and loving, September 15, 2011
This review is from: From Beginning To End (DVD)
When I first saw a clip of this movie, I must admit, I was attracted to the beautiful bodies and handsome faces. I was also drawn in by the sexual energy. However, watching the movie in its entirety, I found "From Beginning to End" to be so much more.

There is a loving, extended family that share dinners and laughs. There is the main relationship between the two brothers. It is very clear from the beginning that theirs is a bond that can not be broken. The moments when they are in bed for the first time, confessing why they love each other is one of the most beautiful, romantic scenes in any movie I've ever seen.

It is so interesting to see how they cope with having to be apart for the first time in their lives.

After a while, I forgot they were brothers. It isnt really a factor in the movie after they become adults.

I didn't particularly care for the subtitles, but this movie won't disappoint.
From Beginning to End

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this movie!, April 19, 2011
This review is from: From Beginning To End (DVD)
Though very controversial, I loved this movie. I had my partner watch it as well as a straight female friend of ours. My partner was hesitant about the theme and our straight female friend was simply curious. At the end of the movie, they had both been converted and they both loved the movie. This movie was not released for almost 2 years due to the taboo subject matter. I am glad that it is now being released. The cinematography is amazing and the story line touching. You will forget the whole taboo nature of the story by the end of the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, innocent, beautiful but flawed love story, October 12, 2011
THE REACTION

I don't understand why mutually consenting sex - actually eager sex, in this case - between brothers near the same age is a big deal. It's not as if they would produce deformed offspring. That particular taboo makes no sense to me. I suppose people believe it's bad just because everybody else does and they've never bothered to ask themselves, Why?

I'm not advocating gay incest, not trying to force it on anybody, any more than I would try to force ANYTHING on anybody; but the nearly universal horror at the idea of sex between brothers - even in a movie, and even among large numbers of gay men - mystifies me.

I have never been the least bit attracted to my own brother, even though I love him a lot; but two brothers' falling in love in a movie does not make me the least bit uncomfortable. I don't feel compelled to try to twist it into something else that's more acceptable.

People who have said that it's easy to forget that Francisco and Thomás are brothers in the latter half of the movie must really be trying HARD to forget it, because the movie never stops affirming the fact that that's what they are. Fighting that battle while trying to enjoy a movie must detract a lot from the enjoyment.

WHAT'S WRONG

This is a flawed but very interesting and unusual movie, and I can understand why even the many positive reviews it gets have trouble describing it.

It has been called a fairy tale because Francisco and Thomás seem to live in a dream world as cut off from the real world as Sleeping Beauty in her castle. But aren't all young lovers like that? Isn't that what love and hormones do to young bodies and young minds? Doesn't the rest of the world tend to fall away when the beloved comes into view? That's how it was when I was young.

So to say that this movie is a fairly tale is simply to say that it is a love story. It's an unusual love story, but fundamentally it is just like any other love story in any romance movie since movies began. If anything, its depiction of the all-consuming ecstasy of young love is MORE realistic than most movies are, not less.

Others have emphasized the parents' evident oblivion or even acquiescence to what is going on under their noses, but that seems to me like just another symptom of the irrational taboo I mentioned earlier. It's like: "What those boys are doing is WRONG! Why don't their parents stop it?" But, again, I ask: Why? Who is hurting whom? Nobody that I can see.

When they're children, they simply love each other and love to be together, and they are freely affectionate with each other. Is that bad? Why? Should the mother slap her son when he kisses his younger brother on the head or puts his arm around him or holds him while they sleep? Why? Is fighting better? Is sibling rivalry better than sibling affection? Evidently it is to many people.

Neither of those is what I see as a weakness in this movie. It is true that the movie is unreal, but what seems most unreal to me is not the brothers' relationship with each other or even with their parents. That's just an extraordinarily loving and mutually accepting family, which is almost never seen in a movie or in real life but should be everybody's ideal of what a family ought to be. If that's not the unconditional love people rave about nowadays, I don't know what is.

What seems most unreal to me is the other adults' relationships with each other, the fantastically loving relationships between exes and in-laws and friends who are NOT in love with each other, who are NOT caught up in the heady ecstasy of hormones and young love. That excess of affection is just plain weird.

Another weakness I see is in the dialog. The core story about the relationship between the brothers is fine - it's a love story - but what people say to each other is stilted and awkward, not at all the way real people talk. It's almost like the way people talk in TV commercials. And the problem is not just in the English subtitles, which actually are very good: what they're saying in Portuguese sounds just as phony.

And the final weakness I see is in the direction. The director seems to be trying to make something besides JUST a love story, but what that other something is never comes clear. It feels as if he is intentionally trying to make it an allegory, or an epic myth, or a pantomime, or a ballet, or something else abstract that wrestles constantly with the extremely simple love story which the movie actually is.

The odd scene in which the adult brothers slowly undress for the first time as they face each other across the room is particularly strange, like something out of a kabuki performance. That obscure tension between what the movie is and what the director is trying to make it be doesn't ruin the movie, but it IS distracting.

WHAT'S RIGHT

All four actors who play the two brothers as children and then as adults are very good and very beautiful, inside at least as much as outside. What the director did an EXCELLENT job of is getting straight actors (which I assume they all are) to be so convincingly loving toward each other. Every affectionate gesture, every touch, every loving look is believable and totally convincing. That could NEVER happen in an American or Canadian movie, or even in a European movie, and I've never seen it in any other movie from Latin America. It is a unique and astonishing accomplishment.

The director also gets credit for the movie's other great accomplishment, which is simply that it got made. A movie about love, passion, unshakable devotion, loyalty, innocence, tenderness and limitless generosity between two men is rarer than hens' teeth. The scene in which they exchange wedding rings alone together at home is one of the sweetest, sexiest scenes I have ever seen. I have never seen any other movie that even comes close to the love between these two men, and I have seen hundreds and hundreds of gay movies. This is far from the best of them, but it is the most wonderful.

From Beginning To End
From Beginning To End by Aluisio Abranches (DVD - 2009)
$14.99 $6.95