From first installation to advanced image manipulation techniques, Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition explains how anyone can utilize GIMP: a free, open source image manipulation program. You will learn how to install GIMP on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X platforms. Once youve installed the application, youll learn about the interface and configuration options, and then jump into a quick and simple project to familiarize yourself.
With fourcolor graphics and screenshots throughout, youll learn how to prepare camera images for display on web pagesincluding processes like rescaling, cropping, and balancing color. Utilizing layers, paths, and masks are also covered in extensive detail. Of course, you will also learn how to draw lines and shapes; utilize patterns and gradients; and even create your own brushes, patterns, and gradients.
GIMP expert and author Akkana Peck teaches you how to touch up digital photographs, smudging away blemishes, fixing redeye, and stitching panoramic images. Youll learn how to tap into the powerful filters, effects, and plugins that are available for GIMP and automate tasks using scripts. The entire book is approached in a projectbased manner, and as you progress, numerous projects will help strengthen your newly acquired abilities.
What youll learn
- Install GIMP on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
- Explore the interface and configuration options.
- Prepare your camera images for use on the Web, including rescaling, cropping, and balancing color.
- Learn basic techniques such as drawing lines and shapes, utilizing patterns, and making use of gradients.
- Master advanced techniques such as layers, paths, and masks.
- Create your own brushes, patterns, and gradients.
- Discover tricks for fixing blemishes, removing redeye, and stitching together panoramic images.
Who this book is for
This book is for graphics designers, digital photographers, and hobbyists. Its is aimed at those who need to utilize a fullfeatured image manipulation program but dont have hundreds of dollars to pay for Photoshop. GIMP is also the preferred image manipulation application for the open source advocate. GIMP is available on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.