Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 25, 2010
I was very frustrated with my purchase and I was contemplating to write a review out of frustration. However, after I've seen the 5-star reviews from other users, I couldn't believe my eyes. One review was raving about the code samples (absolutely ridiculous) and then I saw one other reader leaving a comment for the review saying that he's been working on the sample code for weeks and still couldn't make it work and I can relate to that.

I pre-order this book from Amazon and when I start reading it, it was a total disappointment. I've been working on GAE/J for a while now and I bought this book specifically to learn more about Google Accounts. The example projects are not complete and it requires you to fill in the blanks to make them work. I've also looked at the other chapters and they lack in content. The book tries to give you overall, breadth-first view of the technology (as you would expect from a beginner level book), but while doing so it mentions about bunch of GAE topics, but fails on giving good coverage for that topic. Especially in chapter 4, when the author(s) talk about frameworks, they don't mention about gotchas on how to make these frameworks work at the first place, because if you're using Spring, BlazeDS and GraniteDS (or any other frameworks, you need to do certain tweaks to make these frameworks/technologies/APIs work with GAE, because some of the Java APIs are "black-listed" by the App Engine for the obvious reasons.

If you're a beginner, this is not a book for you. If you're advanced, then again this book doesn't give you enough in-depth information of the GAE/J topics. In conclusion, it's sad to say, but this book is useless! You can save money just by going to Google's App Engine website and find more up-to-date and complete information, because they keep changing/upgrading the SDKs for GWT and the App Engine almost every month.
on April 10, 2010
I'm disappointed in the lack of effort the authors did in compiling this book. They do seem to know the material, but the examples are largely just pages and pages of code that are not very well explained, and not very well tailored for a learning environment. For example, I consider Google's online tutorials excellent, such as this one here [...]

In contrast, the examples in this book are lazily put together. One of the key components to Google App Engine is the concept of Servlets. In this book, the authors dump 23 pages of code (pp 47 to 70), with tedious extraneous code, such as hundreds of irrelevant table styles (td bgcolor=#ffffff ). Not only that, but instead of just providing a single form element or two to make the point, the reader has to sift through pages of repetitive code doing the same thing for multiple extraneous elements. In the 23 pages, it is easy to miss the key critical things, such as how key elements are linked to other parts of the code. All that code could be reduced to a few pages to make the same points in a clear manner.

Unbelievably, they do the same thing in the next example explaining the Google Web Toolkit. Instead of just a one text element coded to enhance understanding, tons of extra code is devoted to coding repetitive elements, in this case, all seven days of the week are coded (with each 'day' element coded separately--taking up pages of code). It's clear they just dumped code from some sample projects instead of considering what would useful for teaching concepts.

Other "tutorials" such as how to link Flex, are copied from internet sources, but even more sparsely explained, and don't even seem to function, as another reviewer explained in terms of imported libraries. Often, a block of key code is shown, with no explanation of which file it should be part of (and Google App Engine requires coordination of a lot of different files). It's pretty obvious not a lot of effort was put into these sections.

Much better to understand the concepts of Google App Engine is the O'Reilly book, Programming Google App Engine. However, the O'Reilly book also lacks good tutorials.

Beginning Google App Engine does have some good information in it, specifically the introduction , but most of that information can be found online. I don't recommend this book.
on April 6, 2010
(minus) There was some value in this book, but I felt that there was just too much detail up front. There are several pages of code plus conversation on third party products such as Spring that I felt was too much information way too early in the book, although I'm sure the topics are appropriate somewhere. I finally just stopped reading to find a different book.

Considering this is a beginner book to such a topic, shorter iterations would have been helpful. For example, there were about 5 JSP pages, GWT, Servlets, Java class files, etc.. and talk of Spring and other such topics in a short amount of time.

I was hoping for one servlet, one (short) JSP page and then incrementally add small pieces to build the important foundations so that my short term memory could get wrapped around the topic.

(positive)I really appreciated the extended list of frameworks and their correspond states of compatibility with Google App Engine. I will take that knowledge with me as I'm sure I'll want to make use of some kind of framework.
on December 13, 2010
This book is difficult to follow period. I haven't been working on the samples long but long enough to know that they work but this is not the book that will hold your hand step-by-step. I skipped Chapter 4 entirely and the Chapeter on Google Authentication was missing some crucial steps. Like where to put the Interfaces that they gave you sample code for. Read the errors that are generated and you'll probably see where you went wrong.

All in all if you can work your way though this short book then good for you, you'll no-doubt learn something, but this book won't walk you though GWT layout, that is assumed. This book is not worth $45 let alone the $32 and change that Amazon offer it for. Buy it used if you can. You won't be so disappointed in your purchase.
on June 20, 2011
Book looks fine at the first sight, but it's definitely not step by step for beginners approach.
I'm still waiting for the source code !!!
It's really a shame that you sell book and do not provide source code.
on January 15, 2010
I have been a Java developer for a long time and wanted to build apps., on JAE. Was happy to see a book on this topic that offered lot more than the on line tutorials on the subject.

The best part for me was - The font - made it easy to read, the flow from topic to topic, very nicely written for some one like me to quickly grasp the concept and start building out the apps. The time card example was perfect for both front-end GWT and back-end and authentications implementations, and again, simple, I liked it.
on March 23, 2011
Not what I expected. It's not that clear. Ok for more experienced developers. Not so good for a beginer. I can get most of that info directly from Google.
on March 18, 2010
This is a great first introduction to Google App Engine. The decision to use GAE was much easier thanks to the high level discussion of which frameworks are supported.

If you're planning to work with GWT, then this book will exceed your expectations and expose you to actual code samples.
on December 21, 2009
The book begins with a very useful summary of cloud computing, which should be mandatory reading for any CIO.

It then introduces you to the basic concepts, and walks you through developing your first application (a handy timecard entry app).

I have almost no experience with Java, but I found this book to be well-organized and easy to understand.

This book, along with the information Google provides ([...]), should be enough to get you going!
on December 23, 2009
This book was an easy read and helpful with starting to code in Java for Google App Engine. The example applications were well written and easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone starting to code in Java for App Engine.