5.0 out of 5 stars Very good coverage of an extremely complex topic
When people who have not previously done object-oriented programming begin to learn Java, my experience has been that they mistakenly assume that learning the language itself is the only thing that they need to do. In reality, the most important thing (and in my opinion most difficult) is to learn how to create a good object-oriented design. Before they can create a good...
Published on March 3, 2001 by Benjamin Mofaz

3.0 out of 5 stars an OOP design book that uses Java
I got this book from reading the user recomendations here. I just want to warn people this book is about 900 pages long, and the whole book goes into making just one program (a student registration program for a university). If you have the patience to read a book like this, fine, but for me its a little too drawn out, and nothing I saw thumbing through the chapters...
Published on September 22, 2005 by Brad

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I was blind and now I can see, November 5, 2002
New to Object Oriented Programming? New to Java? Read a beginners Java book but confused? Can't quite grasp OOP or Java? Then buy this book NOW!
This book is absolute essential reading for ALL Java newbies. Do not purchase a beginning Java book without buying this book as well. It is the PERFECT compliment to any beginner Java book.
The author takes you by the hand and babysteps you though the basic and advanced skills of object oriented design. I read Ivor Horton's "Beginning Java 2" and was quite confused, then I read "Beginning Java Objects" and ALL my confusions disappeared. As someone in the bible said, "I was blind and now I can see."
Do your self a favor and pick-up this book right away!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read', December 21, 2000
Lisa Ellis (Fairfax,, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Having tried to master Java before, I found that all of the books I consulted taught Java syntax without really explaining how to structure an application around objects so as to truly leverage Java's power as an OO language.  This book accomplishes what no other book, to my knowledge, even attempts to do:  that is, to step through a case study from beginning to end, illustrating first how to think from the perspective of objects, then how to model the application using UML, and finally, how to translate the model into working Java code.  It is, in my opinion, a 'must read' for anyone striving to become an accomplished Java designer and developer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Way Up, April 21, 2004
"edjbaker2" (Norfolk, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I give this book a solid, very solid, 5 stars.
Be forewarned, however, this book requires discipline. Ya gotta wanna study.
There are plenty of books, on the market, that will teach you the semantics of java programming. But, what if you are asking yourself, "Why do professional java developers write their code the way they do?"
The answer is because they intrinsically know OO methods and techniques. YOU WON'T LEARN THAT FROM A JAVA SEMANTICS BOOK.
Ms. Barker's book takes a different tack. She spends 293 pages, of a 665 page book, explaing WHY the pros do what they do. You don't even touch a source code editor before page 293. That's why I say this book takes discipline. However, those who stick with it, will be amply rewarded.
Source code for the book is available at [...] and you can even contact Ms. Barker herself if you've got specific questions.
If java represents your first foray into OO technology, do yourself a huge favor and read this book. You, absolutely, will not reqret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo good!, May 14, 2001
I am relatively new to programming, and I chose Java as my first language. I'd put my time into a couple of books to get the basics down, but like most new programmers I was chomping at the bit to learn how all of these mechanics are used in the "real world". I felt like I had been programming in a vacuum. That is, until I began reading Jacquie Barker's book. It blew the lid off! This book is a godsend! The book introduces all the basic programming techniques, then it moves on to teach software development principles and then finally puts all the concepts together in a comprehensive project. Anyone who has ever been a college student will relate the most to the project she develops through the book, but this should really be standard reading for anyone with a little experience. For anyone who wants to see the big picture AND the details at the same time, there is no other book I can think of that can compare. Not only that, but this is by far the most readable and easiest to understand text I have ever read on programming. Absolutely essential for programmers wishing to put their skills to work right away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to object theory and program modeling, January 25, 2001
This is a really good book. It is an excellent introduction to those new to object theory and program modeling in Java, or any object-oriented programming language for that matter. It is obvious that the author really knows her material and is an excellent teacher. Everything is explained in a gentle and easy-to-understand manner, and the sample program developed throughout the book (a college student registration program) was a good choice. I would have given the book 5 stars if it had not been for its miniscule typeface (probably the publisher's decision and not the authors). Also, for those with no prior programming knowledge or experience, I would recommend reading an introductory book about computer programming in general before reading this book. Otherwise, an excellent book. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book, along with Ivor Horton's "Beginning Java 2", November 29, 2001
Great job, Ms. Barker! This book easily explains OOP from a Java programmer's perspective.
Java Programmers - whether you are just learning Java or you are approaching an intermediate level, get this book and use it along with Ivor Horton's "Beginning Java 2". These two are a great complement to one another.
"Beginning Java 2" will show you how-to code an application, while "Beginning Java Objects: From Concept to Code" will show you the how-to design an application.

5.0 out of 5 stars One program is enough, November 22, 2005
This review is from: Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts To Code, Second Edition (Paperback)
Regarding Brad's comment, the 'one program' is complex enough to give the reader a lot of practice in understanding the relationships between objects, and that seems to me (an out-of-practice former COBOL programmer) to be the biggest hurdle in understanding object-oriented programming. Barker's book gives more help in this area than the other Java books I've read. I read Eckel's Thinking in Java, and got lost by the middle of the book. Once I've finished Barker, I think I'll get a lot more out of Eckel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, April 5, 2001
Jacquie, this is an excellent book! It is a gem!
I have many Java books on my bookshelf, but none of them have been as useful as your's when it came down to the brass tacks - developing an application in Java from a bucket of bolts and nuts to a sea worthy battleship, figuratively speaking.
With your book I finally learnt what happens when a professional plans,designs and develops a real-world application. I could take a little peek inside your mental activities and learn from them. And I've learnt a lot. I'm itiching to finish the final two chapters, go through the book again in summary form, and then start on developing my own application using the processes outlined in "Beginning Java Objects".
I'm not a seasoned programmer at all, so far I've dabbled or been thrown in the deep end of Java development with very unpleasant results. Every page of your book made me reflect on my own infamous past as a Java developer (dare I use this term!) - all the things I did wrong, and how much easier I could have had it if you had written your book 4 years earlier. There was just too much rubbish around to mislead the enthustiasts but inexperienced. I dread to think how much bad Java code there is around nowadays.
I found your explanation of concepts clear and very easy to understand. The UML design approach that you demonstrated also made it look like a piece of cake. Sure, experience makes everything look easy, but it usually is if you know how it's done. I now know how it's done, and can go forth with greater confidence based on real understanding.
It's a rare occasion that I read a programming book from cover to cover, play with the code and be totally inspired by it.
I understand that writing a book is a lot of hard work and many hundreds of hours go into it. But if you have another book in the pipeline, I will keep an eye out for it with great anticipation.
THANK YOU, for "Beginning Java Objects"!
My highest regards to you Jacquie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for explaining the O-O paradigm, April 30, 2002
W Brandes (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This book enabled me to understand O-O concepts, e.g., "static" and polymorphism, that I just could not figure out despite having taken a Java programming class, and having read a number of other Java books and on-line tutorials. I was seriously stuck in my ability to progress with the language until I read this book. Now I'm going for the SCJP certification. By far the best book I've found for explaining the O-O paradigm in a way that makes sense to me.
Also, I really appreciated the clear and non-confusing code examples. I find many programming books include unecessarily complex code examples, or throw in new concepts in a code example without explaining them first, or letting you know they are coming. This causes confusion and frustration, and interferes with learning. It was refreshing that this book did none of that.
I'm greatly looking forward to Ms Barker's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made Java and OO "click" for this procedural programmer, January 31, 2003
I've bought maybe 10 Java books and read almost all of Sun's docs and still didn't "get" object oriented programming as implemented in Java until I read "Beginning Java Objects". (And I've been a programmer since the days of the Commodore 64 - wrote my first side scroller game for the XT)
Anyone who is new to OO programming or Java should read this book cover to cover BEFORE (or while) embarking on a Java programming course.
I've found that learning some languages like C, C++ and Java (as opposed to Basic) require a certain threshhold of knowledge before the "aha" moment comes and everything starts making sense. This book distills that pool of knowledge down so that moment comes faster. You should get that overall understanding of OO and Java by the end of reading it.
The book is written in a easy to understand way that EXPLAINS any necessary jargon and acronyms so you UNDERSTAND them (rather than just throwing more pocket-protecter-induced obscure jargon at you like the Sun docs and many reference books)
Anyway - THANK YOU, Jacquie! You've saved me from more frustrated days (er weeks, no months) at the computer.
Karen at Redwood Games

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts To Code, Second Edition
Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts To Code, Second Edition by Jacquie Barker (Paperback - June 27, 2005)
$54.99 $40.65