5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great product
Published on August 15, 2011 by wcmadness

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful
I am a beginner trying to learn LightSwitch. This book has not been helpful at all. Simple things are totally overlooked or just mentioned briefly: like documenting how to call stored procedures from an external database, how to hook up event listeners in forms, or descriptions of the publishing options. I've learned much more just reading blogs and lurking in code forums.
Published 5 months ago by J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great product, August 15, 2011
I was interested in learning about MS LS. I bought this book because it was the first book to market. I wasn't too thrilled by the title, thinking the content might be pretty thin, but I was completely wrong. This is a great book for learning LS. It will get you up to speed fast with a great tool. I've ordered the Unleashed book as well, but it doesn't come out for four more months. There's no reason to wait that long. This book is more than adequate to get you going quickly. I couldn't be more pleased to have discovered this book, and I feel like I have a leg up on learning an important new development tool. Thanks for the excellent book. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Especially for First to Market, September 15, 2011
RLC (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This tutorial for the Microsoft Lightswitch Rapid Application Development application is fantastic. I have been curious about Lightswitch for rapidly developing basic apps to connect to data in a SQL Server and Access environment. This book covers all of the bases very thoroughly. The book is replete with code examples, color figures, and stepwise instructions given in sufficient detail. The Lightswitch and Visual Studio interfaces are covered. It is kind of like a missing manual. It along with the Microsoft video tutorials are all I need. I have had this book a short time and am creating decent, basic front-ends for data, best of all, quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Organized and thorough, September 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is a tutorial for the LightSwitch RAD tool used under Visual Studio 2010. LightSwitch proposes to develop an application without writing code, but that would have to be a pretty simple application! LOL

This book takes you through both the LightSwitch interface and elements of the VS interface, and thoroughly covers the boundaries of LightSwitch RAD development. Database connectivity is always of great interest to me, and I thought the book was particularly strong in this section.

Color is used well throughout the book both in charts, figures, and code examples.

Sample applications are worked through to give you hands on experience as you move through the book. This is the type of book that always should accompany a programming IDE, but never does anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth reading!, August 27, 2011
This book is not only useful and beneficial to learn Visual Studio LightSwitch, but also a good reference to software development / software analysis ideas and concepts. The text reflects the author's huge experience in building software over the years.

The detailed yet effective writing style makes it a book worth reading for starters and experienced in LightSwitch.

Thank you Istvan and keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Bilal

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginning Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Development, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Beginning Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Development (Kindle Edition)
I used to be a programmer about 15 years ago, but then stopped this activity. Now, I need to create analytical and reporting tools very quickly, ideally without assistance (or too much assistance) of developers and VS LightSwitch is created for that purpose. The book is providing very good insight with practical examples and I appreciate how clear and step-by-step it is written. One of piloting books and very good job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Anyone Can Program, January 16, 2012
I've been trying to get something done for about two years now, and I started off with excel, it got out of hand, moved to Access, and then in desperation whilst searching for a solution, found lightswitch beta.

So I've been doing a "teach yourself" doing all the lightswitch tutorials, but there was just often glaring gaps in my knowledge, not being a programmer at all.

This book was the answer for me.

In two days (I worked through it non stop for the past two days) I've learnt all the most important things I needed to know, to finally get done what I needed to get done.

The book starts right at the beginning, makes you understand the basic concepts of how to design a programme, and then systematically goes from very simple, to relatively complex stuff, but always at a level which one can follow, with detailed examples of code AND (very important for people like me) explanations of what that code actually does. But if, like me, you are not a programmer, don't get frightened by the use of the word "code." You can do a lot of stuff with Lightswitch without every touching code, and when you write code, it's literally a few lines here and there. Most of what you do is point and click and drag. And the author takes you very carefully, step by step. You are never suddenly left with a "where did that come from?" feeling that often happens when reading books written by programmers who had forgotten what I haven't learnt (and don't really have time to learn).

Every few pages there is a "How does this work" section, which describes what is happening behind the scenes, and where there is code involved, describes what the code is doing, and where, in very straight forward English, not programmeese.

I think Lightswitch is going to become an application that more and more business users will begin to use. After this book, it is clear to me that Lightswitch is much faster, and much easier than Access, once you know where to look, and literally in two days, you can learn enough to build some pretty serious applications.

If you're spending a considerable amount of time searching for answers in MSDN and in the related blogs. Do yourself a favour and buy this book.

Note for Kindle users:
If you read it on the kindle, and you are not a programmer, the code lines don't always break in the right places, and the colour coding is obviously only in greyscale (unless you have the kindle Fire, I suppose - I'm still a 1st generation kindler). It only occurred to me about halfway through to download kindle for my PC, and that made it much, much easier. You can easily copy your notes and highlight file across from the kindle to the pc or vice versa, if you prefer not to use whispersync. I recommend reading it on a large colour screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very "lite" LightSwitch book - but still quite useful, September 29, 2011
This book was much more basic than I had envisioned. It is probably the first book out of the blocks because it really does not contain as much information as the beginner tutorials you can find on the Microsoft site.

The beginning chapters spend too time (IMHO, of course) on an overview of subjects such as LOB (Line-Of-Business), prototypes, wireframing, RAD (Rapid Application Development) and other things I thought unnecessary in this book.

That being said, if you want most of the tutorial information in one place, and in a fairly well organized and written book, then maybe this book is for you.

I gave it 3 stars (instead of 4) partly to offset what I thought were overly glowing reviews that sucked me into buying it in the first place.

>>Update: After using this book for awhile, I have upgraded by review to 4 stars. Even though it is a beginning to medium book, it has given me some valuable insights into LightSwitch that I would have had a hard time finding otherwise.

Side Note: I bought the PDF directly from Wrox; Although I love my Kindle DX, it is not suitable for reading this type of book as the illustrations are too faint to read. This was not a factor in my review of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good set of tutorials, September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Using Microsoft's Silverlight technology for presentation, and Entity Framework for object-relational data access, Visual Studio LightSwitch is a new tool from Microsoft that provides developers with behind-the-scene code generation conveniences that enable applications with relatively simple and well understood coding patterns to be built without requiring developers to write code in many cases.

The tutorials in this book cover a lot of grounds. After completing them, you will have quite a bit of knowledge about how to use this new tool to build two- or three-tiered data-driven applications, what are some of the tool's idiosyncrasies, what you can and cannot control, and cases when you might want or need to step in to manually write code.

There is a brief discussion in the book regarding types of applications this new tool might be most suitable for, but I suspect that over time, as more and more people use and test this tool's limits, that discussion might get expanded a little bit more.

Some of the chapters in the book (especially those in Part I) can feel a bit long-winded for readers like me who just want to get started with the tool right away, but other than this complaint, I thought the book was well written and very helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful, June 5, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars If LightSwitch is something that interests you..., May 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is a good, solid introduction.
Easy to understand tutorials, the exercises really guide you through the whole process.
If you are thinking of getting your feet wet or just want to see what it's like starting LightSwitch applications, and if it's a good fit for you, this is perfect.
Now that Microsoft decided to let LightSwitch create HTML5 applications without needing Silverlight, that opens the doors for developers. The applications created have a Windows 8 look to them.