From the Back Cover
As one of the most influential programming languages in the world, Perl is used extensively in web development, data processing, and system administration. Whether you're new to Perl or looking to strengthen your real-world skills, this resource covers what you need to handle scenarios. Drawing on his decade-plus of Perl experience, Curtis "Ovid" Poe begins with a brief review of the basics of Perl, then moves on to demonstrate how you actually use Perl in the workplace. Additionally, hands-on exercises, invaluable advice, and real-world examples all contribute to making this book essential reading.
- Explains how to work with data using Perl's built-in functions
- Shows how to handle Unicode in Perl
- Details the basics of control flow and handling references, files, and directories
- Devotes a full chapter to Object-Oriented Perl as well as a chapter on Moose
- Provides a comprehensive introduction to automated testing
- Touches on Catalyst, DBIx::Class usage, and other popular modules
- Technical edit by chromatic, a well-known developer, prolific writer, and author of several Perl titles
"This is not your everyday Beginning Perl book. Not only does Ovid provide splendid coverage of Perl's basics and best practices, he also covers modern Perl techniques and modules, where Perl's real power lies. [It] is like being given Batman's utility belt: you have everything you need to do truly amazing things. If Perl were a shark, this book would teach you how to outfit it with lasers."
—Paul Fenwick, Perl Training Australia
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.