4.0 out of 5 stars learn to make conceptual models
Published on April 16, 2005 by W Boudville

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Data Modeling Coverage.
Im new to the Data Model and this book helps me to get started.Obviously they covered many areas and in overall examples are pretty good.

Just one complain on the Analysis they took Playing card example which for me tedious I would prefer simple example .Not everyone are expert in Card games.
Published on January 31, 2007 by Java Anniyan

4.0 out of 5 stars learn to make conceptual models, April 16, 2005
This review is from: Beginning Relational Data Modeling, Second Edition (Paperback)
While the book calls itself "Beginning", it actually takes you a long way into understanding and making a relational model. The authors heavily downplay the formal maths aspect. No predicate calculus and no proving of theorems. Of necessity, the Normal Forms are explained, including the contributions of Boyce and Codd to this development. Simple relational tables are used for illustration. This topic lends itself easily to diagrams of interrelated data sets held in tables. Which is probably more visually understandable anyway.

Perhaps the most important chapter is on making a conceptual model of your system or problem. In a top down approach, you start here. And it can be rather intangible until you build up expertise. Subsequent chapters show how to parlay the conceptual model into a logical model and then into a physical model. Important steps, to be sure, but secondary. Focus on the essentials.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you work with data!, April 27, 2005
TM (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I've been a database programmer for 15 years but I've never kept up with the "latest" database concepts. Reading Beginning Relational Data Modeling was a great way to get myself up to date! I never learned about conceptual and logical models. So this book was a real eye-opener!

It starts out with a great introduction which includes data normalization. Every developer that works with data should know what the first three are. Apparently there has been another one added called Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF). This one was new to me and I thought it was explained very well.

I thought the book was very informational. I think every developer that works with data should read this book to bring themselves up to data on the latest data modeling concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic introduction to practical data modeling, May 1, 2005
I'm really happy with this book. We have needed a practical text on data modeling for some time. The other works have been largely academic. In this book the authors use real world examples to work through the material,

Graphics are used extensively through the book. But that makes sense for the topic. The graphics are a combination of UML and relational diagrams. The tone of the text is jocular and down to earth.

This is an ideal walkthrough for engineers who have some experience using databases but now want to understand how to design databases well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just Beginning, April 6, 2007
MattK (Central Florida, US) - See all my reviews
The title should be shortened to just "Relational Data Modeling", as it covers beginner level material, and some advanced topics as well. Some of the concepts presented within are directly applicable in the leading (and expensive) commercial E/R modeling tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity and Clarity, January 5, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the special historical facts such as the king who had his camels carry his library in alphabetical order for easy retrieval of his favorite books. A metaphor is worth a thousand words. This, in a nutshell, explains data retrieval issues.

The clarity and orderliness in which the steps of normalization were discussed paint a picture of the transformation of raw data into an organized form, its decomposition as well as it's re-composition during de-normalization.

I wish more technical books were written this way.

By the way, it also helped in a completely different area. I was de-cluttering my home and the neatly defined categories in data modeling made this a breeze!

Fun reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book on data modeling and database management, January 20, 2014
Wide range of concepts and clears up most of the missing parts from other beginning data management books. Overall a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This books makes you want to learn more about Relational Data Modeling., October 1, 2013
I didn't know I would like Relational Data Modeling but it turns out I did after looking through the first chapters of this book. Very informative and I like the way the topics are covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iifesaver, everything I needed, October 18, 2012
I really needed to become familiar with data modeling for a job interview, after using this book to become more comfortable with the topic I was able to confidently discuss the topic and I got hired I believe as a result of it. I cant recommend this book enough to anyone interested in programming or specifically for data architecture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 11, 2009
This is one of the best data modeling books I have read. I was looking for a great introduction to data modeling with good examples and I was not disappointed. Kudos to the authors for a job well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and thorough presentation of conceptual modeling (mostly using IDEF1X), November 19, 2013
While searching for textbooks to use in the Information Science course I teach on databases, I gave this one a quick read. I will likely recommend it to my students as an optional book. It's not designed as a formal textbook (there are no exercises or quizzes for example), but it's solid and thorough.

My impressions are that it's well written and fairly authoritative, yet very accessible to a layman just being introduced to the topic. It covers conceptual data modeling thoroughly in a number of ways, and provides context for how this activity is a component of several types of jobs and how it ties into project management. The book primarily uses IDEF1X notation, but does have one solid chapter on UML showing how to convert from one to the other. A few other modeling notations (Chen, Barker, and IE) are only presented in a couple of pages.

The critical chapter on relational theory including normalization is much better than in many textbooks.

Since the focus is on modeling, there's very little SQL in the book, and it is generally DBMS neutral and focused on defining constraints. There are very few screenshots (but hundreds of IDEF1X diagrams). The chapter on reverse engineering uses the Microsoft Northwind database and has Access screenshots, though the concept is applicable to any database of course.

On my very fast partial read of the text, I noticed just one clearly incorrect statement (in the glossary's description of Chen notation).

Beginning Relational Data Modeling, Second Edition
Beginning Relational Data Modeling, Second Edition by Sharon Allen (Paperback - March 24, 2005)
$49.99 $33.49