Ruby is perhaps best known as the engine powering the hugely popular Ruby on Rails web framework. However, it is an extremely powerful and versatile programming language in its own right. It focuses on simplicity and offers a fully object-oriented environment.
Beginning Ruby is a thoroughly contemporary guide for every type of reader who wants to learn Ruby, from novice programmers to web developers to Ruby newcomers. It starts by explaining the principles behind object-oriented programming and within a few chapters builds toward creating a genuine Ruby application.
The book then explains key Ruby principles, such as classes and objects, projects, modules, and libraries, and other aspects of Ruby such as database access. In addition, Ruby on Rails is covered in depth, and the books appendixes provide essential reference information as well as a primer for experienced programmers.
What youll learn
- Understand the basics of Ruby and object-oriented building blocks.
- Work with Ruby libraries, gems, and documentation.
- Work with files and databases.
- Write and deploy Ruby applications.
- Explore Ruby web frameworks and aspects of network programming with Ruby.
- Develop desktop and GUI applications with Ruby.
Who this book is for
Beginning programmers, programmers new to Ruby, and web developers interested in knowing the foundations of the language.