Beginning Ubuntu for Windows and Mac Users is your step-by-step guide to using Ubuntu, the popular free and open source operating system. You already know how to use a computer running Windows or Mac, but it can be difficult to know where to start to get the most out of Ubuntu during work, home, and play. This book introduces you to software and settings that will make your computer even more powerful—and ready to work for you.
You'll learn how to install Ubuntu on a new or existing computer, choose between the various available flavors, get your work done, unlock the creative power of your computer, get to know the command line, and unwind with music, movies, and games once it’s time for a break. Ubuntu is the world’s third most popular operating system and powers both desktop and laptop computers, servers, private and public clouds, and now even phones and tablets. There's never been a better time to work with Ubuntu and move to an open source way of life. Get started with Beginning Ubuntu for Windows and Mac Users today.
What youll learn
- How to install Ubuntu and the advantages of flavors such as Kubuntu
- Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows or OS X
- Which additional software to install to enhance your enjoyment of your music, photos, and videos
- Work with files and disks created on Windows and OS X
- Discover interesting things to do on the command line that aren't scary at all!
- Learn powerful ways to customize Ubuntu and get work done with virtual machines
Who this book is for
Beginning Ubuntu for Windows and Mac Users is for anyone who wants to move to using an open source operating system. If you’ve struggled to find comprehensive guides or didn’t even know where to start, this book will delight you. Beginning Ubuntu Linux for Windows and Mac Users will walk you through each step of the way and explain how all the pieces fit together.