5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Intro to Using VB.NET with SQL Server
This really is an outstanding book. My background? Years of C and VB development, but no .NET; then tons of SQL Server 2000/2005 work (am MCITP, MCT in SQL Server).

Published on June 17, 2008 by Clyde LeBonz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book to start with
to learn the basic VB application and creating VB programs this book will do the job. It is a bit dated, 2005 so I'm sure there are other, newer version, especially since this is 2013.
Published 16 months ago by Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Intro to Using VB.NET with SQL Server, June 17, 2008
Clyde LeBonz (PORTLAND, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning VB 2005 Databases: From Novice to Professional (Beginning: From Novice to Professional) (Paperback)

I specifically wanted a jump-start on accessing SQL 2005 databases from VB.NET, and this book does it. The same method is used throughout the book: (1) briefly explain a topic; (2) write some code to illustrate its usage; (3) explain salient points in the code. The examples are extremely short & simple. Each stands alone and illustrates a specific point about .NET or SQL 2005. The authors do not, as some do, create huge coding projects in which learning points are too easily lost. And, not a trivial point, each example works!

If you are a SQL Server professional, you can skip or quickly flip thru some sections that focus on T-SQL, but if you are already a .NET developer you probably won't want to skip anything, because virtually every code sample deals with database access.

Excellent, excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for beginners and intermediate in VB.Net05 Databases, February 27, 2008
It's the Best for Beginners and intermediate in VB.net05 Databases,I have read several Books previously and I Couldn't Understand well ,From Beginning to The end This Book explain step By Step all you Need For starting Programming in Databases using VB.Net 2005 and gives you a guide of Books to continue the next grade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book to start with, March 29, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, January 25, 2013
This is a very good introductory book to using VB with databases for beginners. I appreciate the fact that the author uses console applications for his examples, well done. Don't mistake this for an intermediate or advanced book as it's written for beginners and it's a fine book for that audience only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful so far, February 25, 2010
Ken B. Pierce Jr. "kbp135" (Corvallis, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I'm trying to pick up a lot of different technologies right now and have been really happy with the 4 chapters I've read so far in VB 2005 Databases. I've read most of chapters 5 and all of 7-9 and they've really filled in some details I wasn't getting from other sources. While a lot of the examples deal with console applications, it was the improved understanding of datasources and datatables that helped me diagnose and fix the problems in my windows forms application. I expect I will read this one cover to cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for infomation, but not examples., November 2, 2009
I purchased this book from Amazon to help with the transition from VB 6 to VB 2005.
It's an OK book but all the code examples are written for the console, I.E. Command line.
I was looking for examples using Visual compaonets tied to data fields.

I guess some may get more out of it espcially if your needing to run database commands
in the background via the console device out of sight of the user.

$39.99 $30.71