5.0 out of 5 stars Textbook, But Not
Published on April 24, 2003 by Terry Gruber

1.0 out of 5 stars The book was damage
The book that I got has water damage. I called because I wanted to get it exchange for other one that is not damage.
Published 13 days ago by Lilia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Textbook, But Not, April 24, 2003
I used this book as a special education undergraduate. I found it contained all of the essential information in a format that was not bogged down with technical language. I have since loaned the book to several parents who found its information useful and its style easy and unintimidating. It is full of common, everyday examples in order to help one transition from the theoretical to the concrete.

4.0 out of 5 stars A practical book that works, April 4, 2008
Douglas Setter (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
There is a ton of usable information in this book. The problem is getting past the jargon and text book manner in which it is written. It really is more for university students than the lay person. Keep in mind that it is a text book for 2 consecutive psychology semesters. So, if the answers do not jump out at you, then do not get frustrated. I have read it through a few times and still do not grasp some of it. If you have the patience to apply something as simple as the operant conditioning, you can actually make a habit within a month. For instance, I used to reward myself with 15 minutes of fiction reading for every chapter of biology that I read. Result? I went from a D to a B within a couple of months. I have helped some of my clients do the same procedure with quitting smoking and sticking with fitness plans. This book is one of the few university text books that I kept after my degree.

Doug Setter, Bachelor of Human Ecology, author of Stomach Flattening and One Less Victim

4.0 out of 5 stars behavior modification must have, March 18, 2008
K. L. Smith (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a very detailed book about behavior modification. It literally traces the history of behavioral modification from its origins and progresses into actual techniques that can be used in a variety of setting. Some of the chapters are quite dense, yet interesting. There is a comprehensive summary and the authors do a wonderful job with breaking down large units of information into readable points. There is a useful guide for functional analysis provided. The behavior contract is generic, but a decent basis for an individualized one. Finally, many behavioral methods are explained in simple terms and there are numerous examples that illustrate their usefulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot go wrong..., February 22, 2006
I have a son with autism, a wife who is a psychologist and I run a home ABA program as well as helping in my son's pre-school that is instituting an ABA progam. You cannot go wrong with this book. The fact that this book is in it's 8th edition and is used by many college programs speaks to it's strengths. I did read the one dissenting review where it lowered someone's GPA because they did not understand or test well on the material. ABA is deceptive. While it is the just the science of good learning there is a lot of skill and aptitude needed. Being a member of T.O.P.S., Intertel, Mensa, the International High IQ society to name a few I can see that this is not for everyone. Some people are good at being students, some people are good at understanding and implementing good science; with ABA you need to be in the latter group. If you want a good starting/comprehensive book with a lot of meat on the bone this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for the student, layperson, parent, or anyone else interested in Behavior Modification!!!, June 17, 2011
I acquired this book during my undergraduate program. I purchased this book brand new and have used it so many times that it is in very worn condition. I have the seventh edition. I am very happy with my book and in all honesty can not imagine how it could have been improved on but the authors did such a great job with the seventh edition I'm sure the latest edition is as equally effective in teaching the reader!

This book does a great job of breaking down ABA into a very understandable format. This book is very useful because it pairs technical concepts to many life situations as examples to make it more tangible for the reader. I am now pursuing a graduate degree and I still find this manual useful to reference. This is a wonderful book for an academic setting however I think it is as equally appropriate for the layperson looking to understand the in's and out's of Behavior Modification (i.e. parents of a child with Autism). In all honesty this book is by far my favorite book that I acquired during undergraduate and I have recommended this book to others more times than I can remember. I strongly encourage anyone considering this book to go ahead and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear guide to Behavior Modification, February 4, 2008
This book is a great tool for any professional who works with children or adults using behavioral techniques. The methods are explained clearly with examples for application purposes. Anyone from a parent to a clinic director can benefit from this thorough and well written 'manual' for Behavior Modification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand, February 27, 2006
A. Hall (Prescott, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be written in a way that is very easy to comprehend, and expresses the ideas clearly. The chapters are short and concise. This book is a great tool to use not only for classes, but to refer to in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great behavior text., March 26, 2013
This review is from: Behavior Modification: What It Is and How To Do It (9th Edition) (Paperback)
I've used this book throughout my years as a Graduate student and highly recommend it for practitioners, Graduate and undergraduate students.

1.0 out of 5 stars The book was damage, June 26, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE TATTERED, BUT DOES THE JOB, February 23, 2014
There is folded ears and faded text but other than that, I dig it. Must be doing the trick cuz I got the highest score possible on the first exam!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Behavior Modification: What It Is and How To Do It (9th Edition)
Behavior Modification: What It Is and How To Do It (9th Edition) by Garry Martin (Paperback - June 20, 2010)
$180.00 $145.17