Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 8, 2012
PROS:
* Small. Easy to take with you or set on a small shelf.
* If using USB, does not need external power supply. Very convenient.
* Easy-to-use, accessible controls.
* Pre-amp power, works well with condenser studio mikes.
* Plug & play with Windows 8. Didn't have to install any kind of driver.
* Variety of input options. Dual track with low/high volume sliders.
* LEDs make it easy to tell whether in the green or red range. Easy to adjust.
* Awesome for those who need a mini-mixer-- and costs the same as a USB-based preamp-only device.
* Free shipping-- gotta like that

CONS:
* Only one power setting, 15v. That may not be enough for some, but works great with my studio mike.
* Line In / USB buttons somewhat confusing, non-intuitive. However the manual shows exact settings for computer use.
* As with other low-end Behringer mixers has a bit of a hiss that one has to balance out. Can take some fiddling to overcome it.
* It's pretty easy to overpower the computer's input and cause distortion. Start the sound levels at zero and slowly bring them up until it sounds good.

NOTES:
I purchased this for use with my studio mike, which I hadn't been able to use with my computer due to pre-amp power needs. Plugged it in, worked first time, no problems.

This unit is very sensitive. If used with a decent mike can pick up background noises from across a room. With a bit of tweaking, is fine for studio work. I use it for guitar/voice solo live Internet music shows.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the unit. The only reason I give it 4 stars rather than 5 is because it isn't perfect... but then it's only fifty bucks. For the price, overall quality, ease of setup, range, sensitivity and plug-and-play, I don't think one could find a better unit. Two thumbs up. I don't know how a Pro would rate this... but I definitely would recommend it to those doing recording on their computer with a studio-quality mike above the quality of the average "USB microphones" available on the market. You not only get a pre-amp but a duo-channel stereo volume mixer in the deal. Hard to beat at that price.

ADDENDUM: A few days after the initial review-- I just used the device on a live guitar/voice webcast. No background hiss, very good, clear sound, crisp, no distortion, excellent transmission. Friend recorded a video and the sound was precise and identical to the original performance. Quite pleased with this little mixer/preamp.

HINTS AND TIPS:
Two good hints on this one:
* Another user and I put our heads together and realized one can use a 6-volt lantern battery (or 3 to 4 AA cells), hook them into a USB printer cable and power this via battery. It works great and makes this unit PORTABLE.

* There are reports of this mixer interfering with the way the Windows handles sound. I have found this to be true. It pretty much takes over your entire sound system. For some folks this will be fine. For others, they may not appreciate this. So what I did was uninstall the drivers, remove it from the computer USB (which seems to defeat the purpose, but wait...)... and plugged it into one of those new portable-USB power supplies you plug right into the wall (they're available all over for between $5 and $10). This powers the system without hooking it into the USB system of your computer. What this does is allow you to use the functions of the mixer without altering how Windows handles sound, the programs it uses, or causing problems with programs like Audacity.

You then run a LINE IN from your computer speaker output, a LINE OUT to your computer speakers or headphones, and you can still use microphones or whatever else you want. This is an excellent alternative to using it as a USB device. You are instead powering it from a USB wall-socket and simply using it as a quality mini-mixer (which function it performs very well). That's what I finally did and am still most happy with this device.

In addition by using it in this manner you pretty much eliminate the relevance of what OS you use. You could use this with Windows, Mac, Linux or pretty much anything, because all you're really doing is setting it up as a mixer using standard line-in / out cables. Works very well in this capacity. Gotta love those new external USB power nodes. : )
99 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
I've been playing around with my new Behringer XENYX 302USB Mixer and so far my impressions are positive.

I was nervous about buying it because there were no reviews at all, so I opened the box carefully and took out only the 302, using my own cable and on-line documentation. That way, if I had to return it, packing it back up would be easy.

I use Audacity (with a single core, Pentium 4 PC running XP Pro) to record, and the program recognized the 302 (as USB codex), no problem.

One thing I wanted to do is record from an iPod Touch 4G to Audacity, then play that Audacity track back and record another track against it from the iPod. I used a mono cable that is 1/4 inch on one end (plugged into the mic jack of the 302) and 1/8 inch on the other (plugged into the headphone jack of the iPod).

I used an app called Chordbot to play a progression on the iPod, which was recorded through the 302 into Audacity. I didn't care that the track was mono, but if I wanted stereo, I could have used the line input on the 302 with RCA cables going to an 1/8th inch stereo plug.

Once my chord progression was recorded on an Audacity track, I played that back by using an RCAs to 1/8 inch plug to connect the line input on the 302 to the headphone jack of the computer. By pushing the red button on the 302, which selects input from the USB (the computer), and the black button next to it, which sends the signal to the headphones, I could hear the Audacity track playing as I recorded a new track, this time using an app called Thumbjams on the iPod.

It worked very well. No hiss or other unwanted noise present.

The 302 assumes (incorrectly, in my case) that I want to hear the mic input through the earphones as I'm recording. I don't. I never monitor myself when singing or playing guitar, but listen only to the backing track.

I got around this by using the pan slider on the 302, panning my live performance all the way to the right. I then removed the right earphone from my ear. I panned the sound coming from the computer all the way to the left. This way I could hear the backing track but not my voice in the headphones.

My Audio Technica AT2020 microphone recorded fine--with no hiss or noise--with the 302's gain set at 12 o'clock, the mic volume maxed, and the main mix volume at about 2 o'clock.

I could generate hiss with the AT2020 if I cranked the 302's gain and volume all the way up, but I can do that with most any mixing deck.

I could not get as loud a hissless track using the 2020 and the 302 as I would like. A preamp is probably called for. But the signal was usable if I increased the gain a bit in Audacity after recording, or if I doubled a track.

In addition to the iPod experiment, I recorded a nylon-string guitar, then recorded a vocal track against it. Used the AT2020 for both tracks. Worked fine.

I have an old Radio Shack dynamic mic with a built-in TSR cable that I tried. It also recorded well, for what it is. (I sound terminally depressed when I record with this mic, so only dig it out for experiments such as this.)

All in all, I'm liking the 302 and plan to use it instead of the XENYX 802/UCA202 USB interface rig I was using.

WOWSERS. Important update. The USB codec that Windows installed when I first plugged in the 302 doesn't play nice with Audacity. Often when I try to play back or play back and record, there is no sound through the 302, even though I can see audio levels in Audacity.

I went to the Behringer website and downloaded the ASIO 32 bit driver. Now things are great. Except. Whatever USB slot you install the driver to is taken over by the driver and can't used by any other audio codec.

This means that if you unplug the 302 and plug another audio device into the same slot, it can only play--if it will--using the Behringer ASIO codec. Other slots are unaffected. It's possible to undo this by running the setup file again and choosing to uninstall the driver.

I'm willing to give up a USB slot to the 302 because I'm liking it so much and will probably use it every day. YMMV.
3434 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I use this unit to interface between my studio monitors and my Macbook Pro, which it does very well. It is indeed Plug and Play, and works nicely with both Logic Pro, Ableton Live and my Macbook's audio settings. However, be prepared to spend a few minutes figuring out the audio settings on the unit itself in order to get sound recorded into your software.

My major gripe is, I bought the unit after reading "Phantom Powered" in its description, and I was expecting it to work with my AKG condenser mic. Not being a real audio professional, it was an especially confusing process for me, because if you are using the unit's headphone out, you will be able to hear the condenser mic and it'll sound full, even if it's not getting the proper voltage of phantom power, but it won't transfer that fullness to the recorded sound. The label on this product makes you think you're getting true 48v power, and it takes, in my opinion, too much searching to find out that you're really not - it's actually something in the range of 11v to 15v. This seems almost like false advertising.

After getting an external phantom power unit (accomplished for about $20 - Nady SMPS-1X 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply for SCM Series Microphones, I finally was able to record with my condenser mic and it does a great job - clean sound that, with the right setup in Logic (which can take a little effort), doesn't have any delay/latency issues. I haven't gotten it to play totally nice with Ableton yet, but the sound quality is still good.

One more complaint - if you are a sound amateur like me, don't expect the unit to be able to record your electric guitar directly from the instrument. Sound pros would probably read the last sentence and scoff with sound pro haughtiness at its ignorance, but I thought the included preamp on this unit might eliminate the need for an external amp before running your instrument cable into the mic input. Not the case - you still need to connect your guitar to an actual amp first (as far as I know).
1010 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2012
I use this guy primarily with garage band as a simple guitar interface. It works perfectly! It's very intuitive and can be set up in minutes. My requirements for quality and features are pretty low as I am not a professional recording engineer, but I haven't noticed any poor quality sound. I've used it with Reason in Windows and GarageBand in OS X and it's very easy to use. Windows requires manual driver installation.
on October 18, 2013
I was concern reading the 1 star reviews saying that there was a hissing issue with this mixer, and let me say that it is true, however it only happens when you crank all the settings to the extreme highest point (on each knob). If you are using headphone to monitor the audio you will never hear this hissing as having as such high volume would probably rupture your eardrums. My reason for the hissing is probably bad quality equipment being used, I'm sure using high-end equipment would probably solve this issue (most likely you won't be using this for super expensive equipment). I would recommend this product for anyone looking to monitor 2/3 sources with great control over your quality of audio.

Plus for me: I'm a desktop user and having to reach the back of my tower just to unplug/plug my headphones was a hassle, this solved it as now I have it setup next to my monitors and just quickly unplug/plug my headphones. And I almost forgot to mention how greatly it increased the quality/volume coming out of my desktop.

Note: on Windows/MAC you will need to download the appropriate driver from this page
[...]

For linux it worked out-of-the-box using Ubuntu 13.10 (using ALSA).
on September 23, 2012
This was the least expensive mixer that had really good reviews. I am using it for webcasting/screencasting and find it fairly easy to use.

Pros:
o) No drivers to install. Windows 7 immediately saw the device and installed.
o) Shows up as input and output audio devices. This lets you hear audio from the computer such as in VOIP calls.
o) Behringer website has extra downloads for the audio tweakers

I didn't see in the pictures where the mixer got power. And since my microphone (a CAD M179) requires phantom power I was concerned it wouldn't be able to provide enough. What I found is that since this is an analog mixer the USB connection covers the power requirements for the mixer and the mic. Analog mixing means the audio is mixed through the dials and switches. Only at the point of output does the sound get digitized and redirected back to the computer. I don't know if analog in a mixer is considered better or not. I am not an audiophile. But I can tell you I am very happy with the results.

The mixer provides a means to monitor your voice which has been very helpful in tweaking sound levels. Since everything is controlled on the mixer you don't have to configure monitoring through software. This greatly simplifies my setup.

The ability to cut low or high pitch helps cut background noise from the various computers running in my office. I can definitely tell the difference. Nice and quiet.

Besides webcasting/screencasting, I am also using the mixer for VOIP phone calls. I am able to completely tweak the volume the caller hears and what I hear from the caller in this one device... and separate from my computer. Having the controls external of the computer means I don't have to hunt through menus in the VOIP software while talking with customers.

In summary, I am very happy with the purchase. Sound is good. Features are above what I expected. This was a great purchase.

Edit: I installed Behringer's drivers and suddenly my mic dropped down to almost silent. I had to turn the mic, gain and main mix WAY up for anyone to hear me. It took editing the registry to completely get rid of the driver. Lesson learned. Don't install the Behringer's driver! Also, one more note... their tech support hadn't responded to me after two days. So don't expect much from them for support.
------------
Update: After a year of use I am still very happy with this product. I have taken it on the road and recorded hundreds of hours of audio.

Key features I like: 1) No external power supply. 2) No more mixing through software. 3) Sturdy and portable.
on December 15, 2012
I already have a digidesign mbox2 which works quite well. However, I wanted something a bit more portable, so I bought this mixer. I tried it at my home and it worked perfectly well. Then I took it to the office and tried it there and the recordings had a very noticeable hiss. In the office, I had created a brand new setup with a brand new Microphone and XLR cable. I was confused if the Microphone or the cable had a problem. I tried everything including trying to get drivers from Behringer's website but to no avail. I was about to give up but as a last ditch try, I unplugged it from the front USB ports of the computer and plugged it in the back USB port and VOILA! the hiss disappeared. Even with the gain turned up to about 60-70%, no hiss at all. That got me thinking. Not all USB ports are the same. USB ports have the ability to supply power to devices but not all USB ports are made to supply power. In case of the desktops, the front USB ports are usually meant to connect only to devices like USB keys which do not require much power. The rear ports however are directly connected to the motherboard and hence usually are the power supplying kind. Maybe, the front ports were simply not supplying enough juice to power this device properly.

I wonder if folks who are having the issue with hiss should try a different powered USB port.

Anyways, the device works beautifully and it is really portable. Fits in the palm of my hand. I am quite pleased with the purchase.
on December 14, 2012
I bought the smaller Behringer 302usb mixer for a small home recording setup with a budget target of <$125, but had to move up to this model for and additional cost of about $12 due to the fact that the 302usb doesn't provide adequate phantom power for a Condenser Microphone (not properly disclosed by the company). The simple setup I have also includes the Behringer C-1 Condenser Microphone and a Hosa XLR cable.

I was looking to improve the quality of voice recordings for podcasts, interviews, etc., over a simple USB headset, without "breaking the bank". In addition to the positive reviews on Amazon about most of the Behringer equipment, my son, who has some experience with sound equipment said that Behringer makes solid items, but that I shouldn't expect much in the way of customer service. He's helped me work on tweaking my setup and he finds the items I bought to be quality as expected.

I'm glad that I moved up to this board, even though it has a lot of features that I won't personally use. I'm glad that this has two microphone inputs, if I do decided to conduct in person interviews using the board. Besides the extra mic input, my son will likely put some of the additional features to use recording some music with his electric guitar and making some mixes using the features in GarageBand.

I have found that my son's warning is somewhat correct, at least in regards to information provided for the customer by the company both in the paperwork included in the package and on the website. Since this is essentially entry level equipment, people like myself, who have little / no direct experience with sound equipment could use a little more guidance in using these projects, particularly in hooking things up to a computer, which is obviously an increasing application.

I couldn't find any information on the Behringer website or in the paperwork which provided guidance for a Mac user, for instance. In addition, it would be nice if the manufacturer would give some basic information on such items as use of headphones for monitoring, etc. when using with a computer, but they don't. I've done a lot of experimentation in addition to Googling to figure out how to get things up and run.

So far, I'm getting quality recording results from this board. I am currently using it with an RCA type cable with the input to my iMac's line-in. I might ultimately try another adapter for a USB connection or Firewire, but I haven't had the opportunity to research what is possible or which of the three options provide better sound. Whether I not I investigate will depend upon my needs in the future.

I believe I got excellent value in the equipment quality. I would give 5 stars, but the manufacturer should provide more information.
88 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
I got this mixer to do simple home recording. I play guitar and have a condenser mic for singing and acoustic. I work with Sonar 8 Home edition on a Windows 7 Home premium laptop. This unit is great! Out of the box, it's small and simple and is powered by the usb. I love the phantom power which I need for the condenser mic. Make sure to update the drivers to the low-latency audio drivers because the drivers on it were not so low latency. After installing the drivers, recording is great, I can record and monitor through the mixer and it works great. When installing the new drivers, make sure that you remember the usb port that the device was plugged into because the drivers install to that usb port and not to others. There is very little noise during recording and I've had a lot of fun recording. Can't beat the price!
on February 24, 2015
This mixer is everything you need. I was a bit worried after buying hear the 1 star reviews but I can say that if you research this mixer you will see it has everything you need to start recording. It has enough phantom power to power my Audio-Technica ATR2035 with no issues. Another thing that the one star raters lied about is the white noise and hiss. This mixer does have it but ONLY if you jack the gain to 60db or the headphones to max. Right now I have my MDR-ZX100s connected and I hear no buzz.

Do research through google and you will find that this is a mixer that is perfect for anyone that doesn't need more than 1 XLR input.